First time with Tofu...

lal73
lal73 Posts: 116
edited September 24 in Recipes
Just bought a package of Tofu, and I have no idea what to do with it. Never really had it before.....Any ideas for Tofu Snacks?

Replies

• myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    what kind of tofu did you buy? soft, firm or extra firm?
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    I like to sautee it with a little garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Add lots of veggies. I like tofu better when the sides are crispy. You can do a lot with it.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116

Extra firm i think...
  • myukniewicz

Extra firm i think...

what i love to do with extra firm (or firm) tofu is make Tofu Parmesan :)

here is the recipe --- http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tofu_parmigiana.html

what great thing about tofu is that it really has no flavor of its own, but it is extremely porous so it will take any flavor you pair it with!!

enjoy it :)
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Funny, I bought some on Sunday (firm). I eat it all the time, but my first time purchasing it.
  • myukniewicz
    oh! and here are some other great recipes i just found :)
    (you got me googeling tofu! ha ha)

http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=tofu&publication=
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    I throw a bit into the blender to add protein to my smoothies.
  • rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    make a tofu pot pi....i grew up eating it and it is SO SO good. or bread them a cook them up that is always good. Tofu takes on whatever flavour you give it.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    My absolute favourite thing to do with extra firm tofu is to dry-fry it. It uses no oil (but make sure you have an excellent non-stick pan!!). The idea is to get most of the water out of the tofu, so it takes on a nice and firm texture. Then, best of all, you can marinate it after you've dry-fried it, and it's even tastier than regular marinated tofu (and really, the best thing about tofu is that it tastes like what you flavour it with!).

Here's an excellent guide to dry-frying:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

You can then use it in stir fries, etc. :D Happy cooking!!
  • SortaBadass
    SortaBadass Posts: 46 Member
    My non-veggie BF likes to stir fry it with teriyaki sauce and put it over rice... He told me the other day that he actually likes it better than chicken.

I like to stir fry it with lots of veggies and some garlic or ginger... Mmm.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    thank you SO much for the link about dry-frying. The best tofu I ever had was in a Korean restaurant in Japan. It was incredibly garlicky and simply fried in front of me on a hot plate by some lovely lady who spoke no english but somehow we managed to talk all about her son and why he should leave home (good food tastes better with great conversations).

I am going to ry some of this tonight, as I have been mulling over what to eat and tofu sounds just the ticket. Whenever I usually cook it it never absorbs enough flavour and I suspect this is because it is not dry enough.

thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.