Toning while trying to lose weight is harmful?

Options
Cylia
Cylia Posts: 30 Member
I finally convinced my coworkers to try zumba and they loved it......but they don't want to do zumba toning since "its bad to build muscle over fat'? I never heard of this. It seems illogical since if you are doing cardio you are going to end up building some muscle. However, one of them states that is what their track coach had taught them.

Anyway, anyone never heard of this? Can building muscle over fat be bad?

Replies

• Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is possible, the layers of your body are skin, then fat, then muscle so you can't build muscle over fat.
  • sunstreaks22
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! I work with a personal trainer on a regular basis who always fields this kind of question! She preaches the fact the muscle burns more calories than fat. She constantly tells me that she would much rather see me on the treadmill for a half-hour and strength training for a half-hour instead of spending the whole hour on the treadmill because it will be so much more beneficial in the long run. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Zumba is cardio
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    That is simply the stupidest fitness myth I have ever heard.....lol
  • aimstein
    aimstein Posts: 94
    Options
    That is false. Building lean muscle burns fat and calories. Keep doing your Zumba and enjoy the rewards!!!
  • Timolyn
    Timolyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to loose weight building muscle will actually help you loose weight. The stronger your muscles the more efficient they are at burning calories.
  • Cylia
    Options
    Zumba is cardio

To clarify, I do Zumba and Zumba Toning which involves some light weights with cardio to tone up.
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    I think I understand what your coworker is saying.

If you're simply trying to make the scale move, you don't want to strength train, you simply want to do cardio and create a caloric deficit. Building muscle puts weight on (when comparing the same volume of fat and muscle, the muscle outweighs the fat almost 2:1)

I just finished a contest where the winner is determined by biggest percentage of bodyweight lost. I did absolutely zero weight training, only cardio, and managed to lose 21% of my starting body weight during the contest period (60% from fat, the other 40% was lean tissue). I'm now switching to adding strength training and focusing solely on reducing my body fat percentage. So while the scale may not move, as long as body fat percentage drops I'll be happy.
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    lol you dont "build over fat".. muscle is muscle is muscle. Its under the layer of fat. You will build muscle underneath then as you burn off and lose fat the little beauties reveal themselves.
    Your body is layered skin, fat, muscle.
  • Cylia
    Options
    I knew it seemed absurd. Thanks for the support.
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    I havent tried Zumba toning yet - I may try that one tomorrow. :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

If you're simply trying to make the scale move, you don't want to strength train, you simply want to do cardio and create a caloric deficit. Building muscle puts weight on (when comparing the same volume of fat and muscle, the muscle outweighs the fat almost 2:1)

I just finished a contest where the winner is determined by biggest percentage of bodyweight lost. I did absolutely zero weight training, only cardio, and managed to lose 21% of my starting body weight during the contest period (60% from fat, the other 40% was lean tissue). I'm now switching to adding strength training and focusing solely on reducing my body fat percentage. So while the scale may not move, as long as body fat percentage drops I'll be happy.

It is extraordinarily difficult for women to bulk up and gain muscle mass. It's even harder to build muscle while your body is operating at a deficit. So that she would gain muscle weight is extremely unlikely. What working out with weights will do is stop muscle loss. Everyone who loses weight loses some muscle in addition to fat. The goal is to keep this loss the lowest muscle percentage possible. Strength training will help reduce the amount of muscle lost during weight loss.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

It is extraordinarily difficult for women to bulk up and gain muscle mass. It's even harder to build muscle while your body is operating at a deficit. So that she would gain muscle weight is extremely unlikely. What working out with weights will do is stop muscle loss. Everyone who loses weight loses some muscle in addition to fat. The goal is to keep this loss the lowest muscle percentage possible. Strength training will help reduce the amount of muscle lost during weight loss.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! I work with a personal trainer on a regular basis who always fields this kind of question! She preaches the fact the muscle burns more calories than fat. She constantly tells me that she would much rather see me on the treadmill for a half-hour and strength training for a half-hour instead of spending the whole hour on the treadmill because it will be so much more beneficial in the long run. Hope this helps! :smile:

My trainer says the same thing.
  • Cylia
    Options
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense but she couldn't articulate that or maybe she didn't really know herself. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options

I agree that the best plan is to maintain lean mass while dropping the fat. In my case the goal was simply making the scale move - and losing lean mass was "collateral damage".
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat---Sounds to me like someone just has an excuse to avoid something they may not like to do - LOL
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That smacks of old wives' tale nonsense. Muscle contributes to fat burning. Period.
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lol ...yea a coworker gave me similiar advice. She said I shouldn't be lifting weights and I should only do cardio.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    That is simply the stupidest fitness myth I have ever heard.....lol

I double that! I wish this myth would just GO AWAY!