Weight up?? Despite no cheating... :(

Options
Hi there. This is my second week on the program. I have about a stone to loose and was thrilled when I lost 3.5 lbs in the first week! So this week I was even more disciplined and weighed myself this morning... I am UP half a pound... To say this is disheartening is an understatement!

If I had cheated during the week or not tracked everything it would have been understandable, but I was so good! I was under my calorie goal for the week even...

Have any of you experienced this? Just praying the motivation doesn't wane after this set back.

Thanks all x

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    i too have scales set in reverse at mo .. which is really annoying , i been on this site since jan , but the trick is to ignore it and carry on .. it will sort itself out .... apparantly it takes about 6 weeks for yr body to get used to all the change and settle down .. keep going !
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    As I can't read your diary can i suggest you read this they may help! read , review and reassess!

You may not be eating enough!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Good luck on your journey
  • Gelly_Bean
    Gelly_Bean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If found this really helpful/reassuring:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Did you eat anything that was salty? Chinese? Highly processed food? Pizza? if so, it may just be water retention due to the salt intake.
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    Loads of things can affect your weight..time of month etc: Just keep at it and it will sort itself. The thing is not to give up and it will come off.. have you made friends with others on here, It helps to motivate you... You are welcome to add me if you wish?
    I only joined in February and have lost 9lbs but some days I have gained weight for no reason, but 2 or 3 days later it comes off and some on top! Hope this helps....
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Did you eat anything that was salty? Chinese? Highly processed food? Pizza? if so, it may just be water retention due to the salt intake.

This is a good point, also the time of the month matters for females. I learned that the hard way! I don't weigh around that time now.
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    I forgot to say drink plenty of water...:happy:
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    It too,k, me about 5 or 6 weeks for my weight to become steady....for 3 weeks i didnt move an ounce, now its stable....Hang in there, your body needs to adjust....

If you watch the biggest looser or any of those weight loss shows, you will notice that usually at week 3 they either gain back or dont loose at all......
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I have a lot of sodium I am up half a pound or so.... Now I track my sodium so I am not over doing it!
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    4637954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • clioq
    clioq Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I know I do probably put too much salt on my food so that might be something I should look at. It is also that time of the month (or just the end of it) so it sounds like that might have something to do with it so as well! I have been drinking a lot of coffee - the reason being I find it easier not to have biscuits or chocolate with coffee than tea! - don't know if that could be contributing to some fluid retention as well...

I read the posts you guys recommended as well :) Very helpful. This is great to have people to talk to about it! In the past I have tried to loose weight alone and it's not as easy when you've no-one to share your journey.

Thanks a million everyone :) xxx
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    your first week, there will be weight loss. then water levels will go up. just keep working hard, and dont weigh yourself for the rest of the month.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hi there. This is my second week on the program. I have about a stone to loose and was thrilled when I lost 3.5 lbs in the first week! So this week I was even more disciplined and weighed myself this morning... I am UP half a pound... To say this is disheartening is an understatement!

If I had cheated during the week or not tracked everything it would have been understandable, but I was so good! I was under my calorie goal for the week even...

Have any of you experienced this? Just praying the motivation doesn't wane after this set back.

Thanks all x

It's probably water / glycogen fluctuations.

These issues are very pesky particularly for relatively light individuals like you. It will mask the fat loss which is occurring sometimes for many weeks at a time.

Read this thread for more info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

Basically, if you are eating a well balanced diet most of the time, staying well hydrated and are staying relatively active then fat loss is occurring, no matter what the scale says. In reality trying to track your body composition just using the scale is meaningless.
  • clioq
    clioq Posts: 10
    Options
    I feel so much better after reading your replies :)