Water Consumpton - What are the benefits?

Options
Can anyone let me know the full benefits of drinking ice cold water whilst doing this plan please? I understand that water flushes your system out of toxines but what else does it do for you? Many thanks :happy:

Replies

• emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    pooping! seriously.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Your body has to burn calories because it needs to heat up the water in your system. The school of thought is it also raises metabolism.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    one thing that is has really done for me..it has cleared up my face...i use to have breakouts a lot and i havent had one since i stopped drinking soda/juices....etc....i only drink water all day, every day.....sometimes 8 to 12 cups....
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    pooping! seriously.

ahaha...aint that the truth
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    I drank diet coke all the time. About a week ago I stopped drinking diet coke cold turkey and I upped my water intake to 72 oz per day and had an awesome result!!! It made my system go back to normal so to speak, I felt less hungry and the problem of constipation was eliminated. In fact, I lost two pounds that had just been stuck inside my system :)
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    drinking cold water is great because your body has to work to bring it up to room temperature, burning calories. Plus it hydrates your cells and helps to keep you full. better skin, better hair, more concentration.... lots of times when people are dehydrated they think they are tired and drink coffee, which is a dehydrant. It also helps your body from confusing hunger and thirst (actually happens a lot!) so you don't overeat
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    It helps speed up your metabolism as well. It helps with kidney function. It increases energy because it hydrates you better than any other liquid you can drink. Prevents drymouth:happy:

There is tons of stuff online regarding water consumption if you google it. You are not getting all the additives that other drinks have in them. Plus, you do not want to have too much caffeine in a day or electrolytes. You want electrolytes don't get me wrong...but you can actually get too much.
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've read it in a few places but do not know if it is 100% true, but if you drink a glass of ice water it will increase your metabolism by about 10% for 20-30 minutes while your body warms the water up. Also the big thing with me is when I get hungry water will fill me up (easier to make it between meals), or have a glass before meals and you get filled up quicker because there is only so much room in your stomach.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    its the best thing to drink. it helps digestion, skin, weight loss, absortion of nutrience, every systen in your body from head to toe! Ice cold not the bestest, but LOTS of cool to room temp water will make you pee alot yes, but make you a healthy and HYDRATED person. this will push you through workouts and beyond! Drop that soda and pick up a brita filter, its everything and more! and if your bored with water, get a packet of something and put it in there like crystal lite, slim packs, tea (esp Green or Black)! never underestimate the power of water. it makes you LESS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and feel fantastic like me :-)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html - lots of info here :drinker:

I'm trying to step up my water intake too

Sue :smile: x
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    you burn alot of calories running to the bathroom:happy:
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    you burn alot of calories running to the bathroom:happy:

Ha ha ha, so true.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    it's helped me with skin problems and also keeps you feeling full for longer. Keep in mind that most of the time when we are "hungry" we may actually need to drink something! So it definitely helps regulate your appetite.

...and other things :sick: ......:laugh:
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to never drink any water, and I always felt so sick to my stomach and like I was about to pass out. I've just recently started to drink more and more water, especially when I'm at work. I'm up to about 1 and a half bottles of water a day. I know it's not much, but for me it's a huge improvement. Haven't noticed any weight loss yet though.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    1.Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less.
    2.Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although there are many other reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.
    3.Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increase skin elasticity.
    4.Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrate.
    5.Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. You’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises and water helps to fuel your muscle.
    6.Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.
    7.Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.
    8.Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. Another words one of the benefits of drinking water can improve our immune system.
    9.Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks of water, your heart, for instance, need to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so are you.
    10.Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.
    11.Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.

http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html
  • Sandie001
    Sandie001 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks everyone - so I have pooping a lot & weeing alot to look forward to (heeheehee) but seriously, you have all been very supportive with your replies and I will certainly keep on drinking plenty of water. Many thanks and good luck you to all with MFP :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did not know all of this either! I have not only had weight issues my whole life but I've had acne very bad as well. I have always been a diet coke/diet sundrop/sweet tea kind of girl but I'm going to stop and see what just water does for my face and my body!
  • lripson28
    Options
    I've noticed that my face seems to have more color to it. I look less pasty white than I normally do in the winter!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    If there's any truth to what I've read, it cleanses out the system and increases metabolism. If you drink it cold, you burn more because your body has to work to heat it up. For me, it has definitely helped my weight loss. In addition, it's helped things to move better in the digestive tract and it really does keep you feeling full between meals. It also does quench your thirst when you've been working out. I used to be an addicted Pepsi drinker and quit cold turkey and have been drinking predominantly water, with an occasional iced tea for the last 5 + months. I had a pepsi during my anniversary celebration and just about spit it out due to the sickeningly sweet and otherwise awful taste it now has for me. Whether it's psychological or not, I do find that I feel better overall now that I've been drinking water almost exclusively and lots of it. It's amazing that I drink more water on a daily basis than I used to in a whole month. My how things have changed!
  • lripson28
    Options
    I think water that's room temperature is so much easier to drink than ice water, unless it's hot out!