Too much protein?

Options
Hey all!

I find myself going quite a bit over my protein in a day. Is this bad? Would anyone be able to tell me what this will do exactly? Will it get in the way of my weight loss?

Thanks!!

Replies

• SarahStrominger
    SarahStrominger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always go over too! The food choices that I am making are naturally high in protien. (Chicken is the big one) I am assuming that the number it gives us is the minimum amount it wants us to have - but it is confusing bc when it goes in the RED - you think "OH NO!!" Maybe I am wrong - but I have gone over in my Protein count every day and I have had success in losing weight so far! :)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I go over my protien too as well as my fiber, but I ALWAYS have carbs left. I think its ok because of how the high protien diets work. The scale hasnt argued with it yet so I'm sticking with it! I really dont think MFP has the protien count that high either.

Is the scale still moving for you?
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am on a weight-training program and my target for protein is 120 grams. (1 gram for every lb of goal weight)

So no, I don't think going over 30 grams is going to hurt your progress. Protein helps keep you full and is the buliding block for muscles. Just don't let it get in teh way of eating your other nutrients, veggies and low-GI carbs are important too.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over in protein. MFP puts it at 15%. I changed it to 40% (40carb/40pro/20fat). If you are doing cardio and strength training you need the extra protein to help combat the muscle mass loss that comes with dieting and cardio. (Tony Horton's P90X has a diet phase with 50% protein).

You can get too much but it's very unlikely and it would have to be a lot.

You can go back into goals, choose custom and change the percentages if you need to.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein regularly too. Since I find that it tends to make for easier weight loss on my part maybe because I have PCOS and am carb sensitive. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • sammyjj53
    sammyjj53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I too go over in my protein and it does not get in the way of my weight loss. Just remember that you earn some of it back after you excercise!!
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! This makes me feel a lot better. I'm always over on my fibre too. :)
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a low carb diet. I'm always over.
  • xstarriexeyezx
    xstarriexeyezx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was on the Dukan diet and in line with that I have one day a week where I only get protein - to be fair I have lost almost two stone and feel great. The setting is really low and the only problem with it really is if you weren't getting enough of the nutrients not found in protein. So don't worry about going over MFP's low protein setting as protein is the best thing to be going over really as it speeds up your metabolism a bit and also helps to retain less water :)
    x
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein is a good thing for weigh loss. It simply takes more energy(calories) for your body to digest and process protein. Some experts have even argued that protein should only be 3 calories per gram instead of the current 4.

So for example if you were to eat 50% of your calories from protein and were eating 1500 calories a day, your net calories would actually be 1275 for the day instead of 1500.
  • BillLee3
    BillLee3 Posts: 1
    Options
    One of you guys mentioned you could change your goal % of protein, carbs and fat. Where is that at? I can't seem to find the proper place.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Click home... goals... change goals... custom option and click continue and set your percentages.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'd like to change my protein goals too. Could someone recommend a reasonable number that I should change it to? Not sure if it matters but I am female, 5'3" and 138lbs. Thanks!
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over in protein. MFP puts it at 15%. I changed it to 40% (40carb/40pro/20fat). <SNIP>

I see we think alike, I have mine set at 45% Protein / 30% carbs / 25% Fat (with a limit of 20g Sat).