Calories Posted On Menus : Thoughts?

Options
What to Expect From Calories on the Menu
By Elisa Zied, MS, RD, CDN

It’s no surprise that given out hectic schedules and on-the-go lifestyles, eating out has become a popular pastime. We currently spend about half of our food dollars—more than ever before—on foods and beverages from restaurants, retail stores, recreational places, and schools.

Although eating out is certainly not something we should have guilt over, studies do suggest that the more we do it, the more calories we’re likely to consume. And of course more calories in can contribute to unhealthy weight gain and negative health and other effects.

Truth in Menu Labeling

One initiative designed to fight obesity by helping consumers make lower calorie choices when eating out is menu labeling. Spearheaded in 2003 by the Center for Science in the Public Interest and supported by dozens of health and consumer groups including the American Dietetic Association and the American Medical Association, menu labeling was first passed in New York City in 2008 (several cities across the nation followed with similar measures.) In March 2010, the national health care reform bill, which included a menu labeling provision, was passed. By the end of March 2011, the FDA is expected to launch final menu labeling regulations that will trump local laws.

The new menu labeling legislation requires chain restaurants with at least 20 outlets nationwide to provide point-of-purchase calorie information to consumers. If requested, other nutrition information (for example, total fat, sodium, and sugars) and a short statement about how many calories the average person needs must also be provided in writing. Vending machines with 20 or more locations are also required by law to post calorie information.

Will the New Law Help?

Will knowing how many calories foods and beverages contain really lead consumers to purchase fewer calories? If so, will that help them lower their overall calorie intake? Unfortunately, few real-world studies have been done to show if and how calorie posting affects intake. Of those studies, some have shown modest reductions in calories purchased, while others have shown no beneficial effects.

Maybe Yes

* In an unpublished study by researchers from Stanford University, more than 100 million Starbucks receipts were collected in Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia 3 months prior to, and 10 months after calorie posting was initiated. After calorie posting, consumers purchased an average of 6 percent fewer calories (almost all from food purchases.) Those who purchased more than 250 calories prior to calorie posting reduced calorie purchases by 26 percent after calorie posting. The researchers concluded that calorie information helped consumers eat less.

* A study published in the American Journal of Public Health in December 2010 assessed consumer awareness of menu calorie information at 45 restaurants from the 15 largest fast food chains in New York City before and after calorie posting. 1188 surveys were collected before enforcement, and 1229 surveys collected after enforcement. 25 percent of customers before the enforcement, and 64 percent of customers after enforcement reported they saw calorie information. The researchers concluded that posting calorie information did increase awareness.

Maybe No

* In a recent study published in the International Journal of Obesity in February 2011, researchers collected receipts and surveys from 427 parents and teens at fast food restaurants before and after mandatory labeling began in New York City in 2008. They found that knowing calorie information did not affect purchasing behavior of teens or purchases made by parents for their children. Although the teens reported noticing calorie information at the same rate as adults, fewer of them (only 9 percent) said they used the information to purchase fewer calories compared with 28 percent of adults.

* Another study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine in January 2011 found no change in either total number of sales, or in number of calories per transaction 13 months after menu labeling was initiated at Taco Time in King County, Washington. The researchers concluded that mandatory menu labeling was unlikely to significantly influence the obesity epidemic.

Only time will tell if menu labeling will be an effective tool to help consumers curb overall calorie intake. Mandatory menu labeling may also encourage restaurants to offer smaller portions (that provide fewer calories), and create more healthful, lower calorie selections that can appeal to calorie conscious consumers.
http://caloriecount.about.com/expect-calories-menu-b499015?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20110310&utm_term=title1

i think putting calories on menus is the best thing to happen since slice bread. i know it helps me pick lower calorie options! take panera bread for example! if i see a sandwich that is 600 calories i am obviously going to rethink what i am going to get and opt for the sandwich with 400 calories, or the soup that has 100 calories! :)

what do YOU think??

Replies

• nmccabe33
    nmccabe33 Posts: 35
    Options
    That would be fantastic if they posted the calories on the menu. It would make eating out a lot less stressful.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I love it. Panera Bread does it and it makes it so easy to make a good healthy choice because the calories are staring right at you from the main board. I even hear people discussing it in line. Plus I don't have to get on the website to research before I go I can just walk in and pick.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It gets a little thorny- I'm all for it because it helps me make decisions and go out to eat with friends without looking like a calorie counting nut job.

But I think the aim- to lower the caloric intake of the majority of consumers- is a little presumptuous and short sighted. Good nutrition isn't really about calories, not so much as it is made out to be. By focusing on the calorie number, they are reinforcing this concept to people who really arent that educated in the terms of nutrition. This kind of thinking annoys me a lot- how many 18 or 19 yr old girls are on this board everyday talking about how hungry they are or how they are having a hard time losing weight even though their calories are under? "Reinforcing this lower calories is better despite the nutrition" mind set drives me NUTS.

Bottom line- I'm glad to have access to the info, and greatly appreciate it, even if I think where it is coming from is a snooty group of people who think they are better than others.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There are some places with minimal calories listed on the menu (Applebees) and I pay more attention to those items because I know what I have "budgeted" for the meal. I think it's a fantastic way to go and I will be happy to see more places put calorie info on menus! I don't go out very often, but I do like having a better idea of how many calories I am going to conume than just blindly diving in with fork in hand.

Though, I have questioned the accuracy of some listings.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I loved it when we were in NYC last year and I had nutritional information staring me in the face @ Starbucks. We tend to eat in local smaller places (they make more "in house"/fresher ingredients/much easier to customize meals), so they aren't impacted by this at all. But when I do eat @ a chain, I prefer to go to one that has the nutritional info on line. While I sometimes look for healthier options, other times I just don't care.

I think the bigger issue though is restaurant recipes/portion sizes. Labeling still doesn't change the fact that the average restaurant entree has 1000+ cals, and many of them upwards of 1000g of sodium too: IMO THAT is the real probem.

Additionally, studies by the same Center for Science in the Public Interest mentioned in the original post have shown that even when the information is available, it often varies by as much as 30%, for the worse. Those stats are based on a specific ingredient combination: one substitution or a heavy handed cook and everything is blown out the door. So go ahead and add another 30% of calories to what you thought was a healthy choice.
  • millerguard
    Options
    You know I have been trying to eat healthy for a while now. And the biggest problem I run into is when the family wants to go out and eat I have to get a salad most of the time due to most everything is high in calories. About two weeks ago the wife and I went to Apple Bee's and I asked if had a calories list other than the " under 550 calorie menu". The waiter told me they did not have one and I was not the first person that day to ask for one. It was only two o'clock in the afternoon that day. I think a lot of people would eat more healthy if they were to see how many calories they are eating at most resturants. Subway is the only resturant I know that you can get a calories list of EVERYTHING they serve. And the great thing about that place is I can eat a whole foot long and it only be 560 calories compared to Mc Donalds. A number one with large fries and drink is well over 1100 calories and that depends on what drink you get. Diet soda has no calories but a 32oz cup of sweet tea is 270 cause of all the sugar. Its only 5 calories for a 32oz cup of unsweeted tea. I know it sounds like I am rambling but its all true and we need to change for the future. Or we all are going to be like the movie Wall E. Fat and floating around in hover chairs and not be able to walk.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think the calorie count on the menus is a good start. A full nutritional menu would be a better step, show me how much salt is in the things you are serving me! Jack in the box has calorie counts on the menus by me. My wife has told me she has gone with lower calorie choice since they did that (most times).

I am more than happy to look like a calorie counting nut job as long as I am losing the weight. The people siting at the table are the ones finding the pounds I am losing, sucks for them, but it is their choice. If they looked like a nut they would be better off. :laugh:
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love it. Panera Bread does it and it makes it so easy to make a good healthy choice because the calories are staring right at you from the main board. I even hear people discussing it in line. Plus I don't have to get on the website to research before I go I can just walk in and pick.

Panera does a fantastic job getting their nutrition information out there. Both in the restaurant and their interactive nutrition calculator on their website.

They are my go to place when I am out and about running errands and need to eat something.
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't know of any UK restaurants that publish nutritional info on their menus, but I really wish they did! It's the best idea since sliced bread (wholemeal of course :laugh: ).
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You know I have been trying to eat healthy for a while now. And the biggest problem I run into is when the family wants to go out and eat I have to get a salad most of the time due to most everything is high in calories. About two weeks ago the wife and I went to Apple Bee's and I asked if had a calories list other than the " under 550 calorie menu". The waiter told me they did not have one and I was not the first person that day to ask for one. It was only two o'clock in the afternoon that day. I think a lot of people would eat more healthy if they were to see how many calories they are eating at most restaurants. Subway is the only restaurant I know that you can get a calories list of EVERYTHING they serve. And the great thing about that place is I can eat a whole foot long and it only be 560 calories compared to McDonald's. A number one with large fries and drink is well over 1100 calories and that depends on what drink you get. Diet soda has no calories but a 32oz cup of sweet tea is 270 cause of all the sugar. Its only 5 calories for a 32oz cup of unsweetened tea. I know it sounds like I am rambling but its all true and we need to change for the future. Or we all are going to be like the movie Wall E. Fat and floating around in hover chairs and not be able to walk.

Applebee's does have the calorie menu online. Most times when we are going out and I have time, I will look up the menus to see what I should order before hand, The problem with the 550 menu is all of the items are LOADED with sodium. Some have nearly an entire days worth of sodium in them. So just knowing the calorie count will not tell you things like that, a full nutritional menu would.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your wonderful replies!

some of you have stated that calories aren't everything in losing weight and that other factors play in. And i couldn't agree more!!! Sodium is a huge deal when it comes to eating at restaurants.
    But the way i see it, is that when you eat out, you really have to pick your battles. i would rather pick the low calorie option and stay in my calorie limit (and suffer from bloating the next day from all the sodium), than pick the 1200 calorie pasta dish with just as much sodium and throw all my good eating out the window for that day. ya know?
  • zoe021601
    zoe021601 Posts: 63
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. It would definitely help me out a lot! Now will it help the majority? Maybe, Maybe not. But it's definitely not going to hurt.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. And I do think overall it will help a lot of people cut back on their calories. Think of how many people don't even realize how much they are eating. They know that the fast food hamburger isn't "good" for them, but they don't usually realize that one hamburger is 1800 calories (I'm talking some of those triple deluxe, smothered in mayo ones). Most of us can do the math on that pretty quick, so if there is a sigh that says average 2000 calories...and your 1 meal is going to be more than that...I think that will help people think twice about it. If that makes sense. Even people who don't normally watch their weight.

When I first started I had no idea my favorite sandwich from the McDonalds $1 menu was like 500 calories, and I would easily get 2, and then split a large fry w/ my husband (and probably eat most of them because I love fries)....When I first started MFP and realized how much just that 1 meal was, it made me sick.
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    I think it should happen! I love this idea! I know that in some Asian countries, they do this at fast food places.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    freaking love Panera's. I always love a simple deli sandwich and their soup is yummy. No matter how much I try I can not make a good deli sandwich.