can anyone suggest a metabolism booster

Options
i am not eating my alloted amount of calories according to this site but cant lose weight.......am doing exercise lots, bouncing, walking (with a sweat suit), pilates and horse riding.....

Replies

• romanesque
    Options
    i am not eating my alloted amount of calories according to this site but cant lose weight.......am doing exercise lots, bouncing, walking (with a sweat suit), pilates and horse riding.....
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you are eating all the calories it tells you too.
    Not eating enough can make your metabolism slow.
    Lots of water too!
    Trust what the site is telling you!
    I was doing that in the beginning also....
    I am now eating all that is listed and it has really jump started my weight lost this last couple of weeks.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like a metabolism booster is the problem. You need to eat all of the calories that MFP suggests (and eat your exercise calories as well) to keep your body from going into starvation mode (and it sounds like you're already there). I know it doesn't make sense, but you need to eat at least 1200 calories every day...you have to feed your body if you want it to burn fat for you.
  • romanesque
    Options
    i am drinking three 500 ml bottles of water a day..just struggling to eat the calories....dont want to eat for the sake of eating
  • scheidch
    Options
    According to recent information from the American College of Sports Medicine (www.acsm.org) you should not go under 1200 calories if you are female, or 1800 if you are male, without expert supervision.

To lose fat, you need to have approximately a 500 calorie deficit against your BMR but you need to adjust your calorie intake slowly so your body doesn't get shocked into thinking that it's starving by you not getting the amount of calories it's expecting. If you want to read the article yourself, I would recommend going to the ACSM website and doing a search for "calorie burn" and then read the first match it gives you. It's great information.
  • romanesque
    Options

I am now eating all that is listed and it has really jump started my weight lost this last couple of weeks.

what do you mean all that is listed?
  • jlauseng
    Options
    I have been taking cinnamon with my meals. It naturally lowers the GI index of the carbs you're eating. I have been taking it and can't believe how it's helped me to not only lose weight but maintain it too.

You still have to watch your carb intake but this sure helps!!! Good Luck!
  • whalomgirl
    whalomgirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i am drinking three 500 ml bottles of water a day..just struggling to eat the calories....dont want to eat for the sake of eating

If you don't feel that you could eat more, maybe you could at least increase the calories you're consuming. Maybe a glass of juice, even a handful of nuts, would be beneficial. They're high in fat, but your body doesn't absorb most of it.
  • romanesque
    Options

If you don't feel that you could eat more, maybe you could at least increase the calories you're consuming. Maybe a glass of juice, even a handful of nuts, would be beneficial. They're high in fat, but your body doesn't absorb most of it.

allergy to nuts....however the juice is a good idea....
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You need to eat more. Also, when you say you are walking in a sweat suit, do you mean one of those suits that makes you sweat more? If so, that doesn't help burn any more calories, you're just dehydrating yourself. If you aren't replenishing all that you're sweating out then you could be dehydrated, which will also make it more difficult for you to loose weight. You'll need to drink more than normal to make up for it.

Good Luck.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try to eat 5 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones too if you aren't already. Keeps the metabolism burning more stably.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try to eat 5 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones too if you aren't already. Keeps the metabolism burning more stably.

Agreed, and try to eat more nutrient-dense foods-those with higher calories and nutritional value when you do eat so that you are filling yourself up with food that will last a while.

Ex: peanut butter (natural, without hydrogenated oils), eggs, beans, oats, whole grains, fish, skinless chicken breast, and all fresh fruits and veggies.

These would be foods that are least processed, low in fat, and high in fiber.

Hope this helps!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have been taking cinnamon with my meals. It naturally lowers the GI index of the carbs you're eating. I have been taking it and can't believe how it's helped me to not only lose weight but maintain it too.

I read that somewhere-how much cinnamon do you take daily? Thanks
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    the only real way to boost your metabolism is to add some muscle onto your body.. Strength training will build muscle, thus resulting in your body naturally buring more calories. Eat good foods to fuel those new muscles and that should help!

**as a side note, putting on some muscle does take time...there is no quick fix to metabolism that is safe.
  • Joselem
    Options
    You have to eat to sustain your body's activities. When exercising, you are required to put out the effort, therefore the need to add fuel to your body... kind of like your car... The more exercise (mileage) you exert, the more fuel you need.... Hence, enter your exercise... MFPcalculates your "earned" food calories from your exercise. Maje the most of it...eat all dem' calories... That alone motivates me to exercise... cause the more i exercise the more I can eat> Yeah! Go girl! :flowerforyou:

ps the car runs much better with quality fuel: so increase your veggies, and beans they go a long way"

Cheers everyone!:drinker:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Good job ladies! Everyone has said it well....
    :flowerforyou:

We know there are two basic ways to increase metabolism - EATING and EXERCISING!

You've got to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Have you really not cheated or strayed at all on the diet?? And you're not losing?? I'm just wondering because sometimes people do really well all week, and then eat some treats on the weekend, and that blows all the hard work... just wondering if something like that might be happening. It is a mystery...

Keep at it!
  • STACYESPARZA
    Options

what do you mean all that is listed?

I mean the calories that it shows I should consume that day....sorry....
  • STACYESPARZA
    Options

WOW I didnt know this....I put cinnamon in my coffee every morning......
    with my nonfat milk of course:happy:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

WOW I didnt know this....I put cinnamon in my coffee every morning......
    with my nonfat milk of course:happy:

Yes - I've heard of this! Most days I have an apple for my snack, and I slice it up, and cover it with cinnamon! Yum!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ok here are some of the articles you need to read in order to understand weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calories
    I have been on " Diets" all my life and have jo joed myself up to this weight, this is something you should be able to do for the rest of your life, not like me for a couple of month and go back to your old life style. From what I am reading you need to eat more. Especially read the article about 700 calories and not loosing, it opened my eyes...