STARVATION MODE

Options

Replies

• jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options

So what is the Starvation Mode Myth? It goes like this:

"If you don't eat enough, you won't lose weight!"

see the problem here. This isn't what people claim starvation mode is.

but he conclusion of the article is very sensible re-read it below if you didn't catch it the frst time

Eating more over time has allowed me to exercise more so that, as a result, my rate of weight loss hasn't gone down as much as it could have as my calories have gone up. Plus I'm happy because I'm fitter and healthier.

In the end, it's important to consume enough calories that you have the energy to perform the daily activities you want to and to keep your body healthy. Otherwise, it's self-defeating. After all, the point of losing weight is to be healthier and to get our lives back. It's not to starve ourselves to the point of malnutrition and have so little energy we can't go out and do fun things.

Nicely put. I for one enjoy getting my metabolism up and running strong. I am not a big guy. Small boned and 5' 6". At a minimum i need to eat 1,500 and 1,600 calories 6 days a week and one day a week at 2,200 to 2,400 calories before exercise and still am losing at a solid rapid pace. I do eat back all exercise calories plus some occasionally.

When I hit maintenance I will be able to enjoy a 2,400 calories day before exercise and maintain quite easily. I can't imagine driving my metabolism down so low I have to basically eat a restricted diet just to maintain.

I finally got my wife to understand this and she now also eats the exact same as me and is now averaging a 1 to 1.5 pound loss weekly.
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    Great post! Definately makes sense!
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is a great post, and it makes sense, but can i get one thing straight?

When i first started using MFP, it suggested a calorie goal of 1200. I stuck to a NET calorie goal of 1200 (i cycle a lot so made sure i always got back up to 1200) and for 2 weeks my weight didn’t budge. I then, after reading all the articles about starvation mode, upped my calorie goal to 1400, just to make sure i wasn't going under. Since then i have lost weight, but obviously this may not be down to me upping my calories.

So what i want to know is, from reading your article, there is more chance of me losing weight if i put my calorie goal back down to a NET of 1200, and as long as i stick to 1200 i should, in theory, lose more weight than having a goal of 1400.

I appreciate everybody is different, but from what you say, the chances of going into so called starvation mode are unlikely.

Hope that makes sense.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    LOVE this post! Thank you for the information! :flowerforyou:
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So what i want to know is, from reading your article, there is more chance of me losing weight if i put my calorie goal back down to a NET of 1200, and as long as i stick to 1200 i should, in theory, lose more weight than having a goal of 1400.

well you risk being mal-nurished and slowing down your metabolism. Then if say you have an off day and eat 1800 calories with a slower metabolism you risk storing more as fat.

In therory, yes the less you eat the more you lose. You could also go on a 800 calorie diet and lose even more weight. 500 would be even better. see the problem here.

Your objectives have to be more complexe than reducing the number on your scale. Things you should strive for:
    -Health
    -Beign fit
    -Fat loss
    -Eating healthy

you can`t do all that by eating an highly reduced caloric diet.

If your goals are:
    -loss weight even if it is muscle
    -be mal-nurished and un-healthy
    -have low energy

then a low calorie diet is perfect for you.
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Obviously I need to ensure that my net calories get to 1200 every day, but the whole reason i upped them to 1400 is because of all the talk of starvation mode, but if i know i can drop them back down to 1200 and not have to worry about not eating enough then this is good news.

I usually burn around 900 a day and most days i do struggle getting back up to 1400 net. I will try 1200 for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Guys, this post has be circulating around the internet for a LOOOOONG time. And it's been on MFP plenty of times before. There's no need to re-hash this, just do an MFP search on starvation mode and you'll find so many posts that you'll be overwhelmed, no need to add another re-hash of the same topic.

FYI, the reporter who wrote this, at least half of his claims are either wrong, or he took facts out of context, especially regarding the Minnesota study, I have read that study, almost none of his claims are accurate to the study's reports. PM me if you have specific questions about the article, but I don't wanna go over it on here again and prolong yet another starvation mode battle.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I think this is THE KEY point of this whole thing:

"In the end, it's important to consume enough calories that you have the energy to perform the daily activities you want to and to keep your body healthy. Otherwise, it's self-defeating. After all, the point of losing weight is to be healthier and to get our lives back. It's not to starve ourselves to the point of malnutrition and have so little energy we can't go out and do fun things."
  • jaysvw
    jaysvw Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Your objectives have to be more complexe than reducing the number on your scale. Things you should strive for:
    -Health
    -Beign fit
    -Fat loss
    -Eating healthy

you can`t do all that by eating an highly reduced caloric diet.

If your goals are:
    -loss weight even if it is muscle
    -be mal-nurished and un-healthy
    -have low energy

then a low calorie diet is perfect for you.

Exactly. That article is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever read. It just gets thrown around as justification for people who think eating 1000 calories a day or less is a great way to loose weight. I think the Geneva Convention demands more than that as a minimum for POWs and people on here are acting like it's a diet tactic.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    =========================================================================================
    You do seem very confused! So many issues with your post.

-You can`t target your gut for weight loss, you body will chose whatever fat it wants.
    -4 days isn`t a significant amount of time to worry about not seeing results.
    -o.5lbs incease is normal daily fluctuation
    -1200 to 1500 calories is not enough for a big guy, eat more and eat healthy
    -re-read the article, it actually tells you to eat more.

The problem with this debate is a probelm called stasis, where either side of the argument are not arguing about the same thing. It is important to define the parameters of what starvation mode is before we can debate it. 1stly nobody claims starvation mode will make you stop losing weight .Often you see a STARVATION MODE MYTH article say, its not true that starvation makes you stop losign weight, we know that, lets not debate it.

As stated in the article starvation mode reduces your metabolism, and we don`t want that, think hungry african children = not healthy. Our goal is to be fit, healthy and live long, you have to eat enough to operate your body properly to acheive those goals.

Another probelm with starvation mode is that you will lose muscle mass along with fat. we want to loose weight in the form of fat, not muscle. You need muscle to stay lean once you reach you target weight.

KKellam1: I don`t know your specifics, but I have a feeling you should target to eat 2200 to 2500 calories (if you exercise 4-5 times a week)
    Edited by kevanos on Thu 03/10/11 09:16 AM
    =========================================================================================

I appreciate your response. My comment about belly fat wasn't so much that I was targeting that, just more that I felt like that was one of the reserves that my body might burn before muscles, etc. In fact, it has to a degree (I have lost 2 inches around the waist). To losing muscle mass, I walk a LOT (3-5 miles a day at work and another 5 or so per day for exercise), so at least the bottom half of my torso gets a workout. I have begin light weights and other movement to try to build some tone in the upper half. Nothing too taxing so far, sonce I began this journey as a pretty overweight, out of shape guy.

To the calories...MFP recommends 2,000 a day for me (before exercise). Siince I made a change in my habits a month ago, 2,000 just seems really high. And not so much just as a number. I eat consistently through the day and make pretty healthy choices (salads, fruit, chicken, turkey, pretzels for snacks). Nothing fried, nothing with sauces, no ice cream or sweets. I am always full, never craving and have more energy now than when I started this quest. So I can't get my head wrapped around raising the calories because it appears that I would either have to eat more - past when I am full - or either eat less healthy foods to get the calorie count up.

That's where my confusion comes from. Logically, I follow the arguement. I just can't see how to implement it without going contrary to what my body seems to be telling me. And without undoing some of the changes that I've made to my eating choices.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Love this!!
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ...... -__- ....

Just to clarify one thing for the few that are bashing me...
    #1 i didn't write the article, it is an article i found that helped my clarify the concept of starvation mode.
    #2 The reason i post it is because i know many people that aren't sure about their exercise calories and a lot of people seem to respond that not eating your exercise calories puts you in starvation mode.
    #3 yes, there are people that think that starvation mode can happen in a matter of a few days, so if you hear that all the time, there is absolutely nothing wrong in researching and finding more information about the subject, and wanting to share the information with those that are interested.
    #4 I found many articles, but chose to put this one because it summarized everything pretty well for people like me that wanted to understand more about it.
    #5 Everyone knows that to loose weight, you need a caloric deficit, so when i was told to eat my exercise calories i was confused, and if you plateau, all im saying is that it could be soooo many different factors besides the starvation mode idea.

Some people feel they know a lot about nutrition and exercise, i don't know everything, so i research and this just happens to have helped me clarify a lot, and if it can help others... why not? so i posted the article.

Thanks a good luck to all
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ...... -__- ....

#1 i didn't write the article, it is an article i found that helped my clarify the concept of starvation mode.
    #2 The reason i post it is because i know many people that aren't sure about their exercise calories and a lot of people seem to respond that not eating your exercise calories puts you in starvation mode.
    #3 yes, there are people that think that starvation mode can happen in a matter of a few days, so if you hear that all the time, there is absolutely nothing wrong in researching and finding more information about the subject, and wanting to share the information with those that are interested.
    #4 I found many articles, but chose to put this one because it summarized everything pretty well for people like me that wanted to understand more about it.
    #5 Everyone knows that to loose weight, you need a caloric deficit, so when i was told to eat my exercise calories i was confused, and if you plateau, all im saying is that it could be soooo many different factors besides the starvation mode idea.

Some people feel they know a lot about nutrition and exercise, i don't know everything, so i research and this just happens to have helped me clarify a lot, and if it can help others... why not? so i posted the article.

The problem is colombiana, the article is essentially wrong. I'm not sure if you think I was bashing you, I wasn't if you did think that, but listen, the article is wrong. you don't need to go outside MFP to research starvation mode, there are plenty of posts here that reference real, scientific data and plenty of very sound practical experiences about this very topic.
  • colombiana444
    Options
    I love this post, though I am sure that we will see some posters disputing it. And some will have well reasoned responses. Which just adds to my confusion.

I had never heard of starvation mode before I joined MFP. For the last couple of days, it has really gotten into my head and I had just about convinced myself that that's where I was.

I started 30 days ago and for 3 1/2 weeks was losing almost a pound a day. Suddenly it stopped and I haven't lost a thing for about 4 days now. In fact today, the scale went up 1/2 pound. My intake is usually 1200-1500 and net is about 600-1000 calories. Bear in mind that I am a big guy with high body fat. I thought the easy target (belly fat) would continue to burn fast and I wouldn't plateau until much later. Maybe it's naive, but with that kind of results for over 3 weeks, then coming up on a week with no results at all, I was really looking for the answer.

Until I read this post, I was about to start eating some of those calories back, just to see if I could start things rolling again. I tend to agree with the post, but I remain a bit confused about it all.

Just hang in there buddy,
    you are doing the right thing for your well being which is all that matters.
    Don't assume that you are in starvation mode because it can be a bit scary to think that.
    Here are actually a few possibilities i have come accross.

1. Your workout is now a routine. If your body gets used to to the same good old routine you normally do try to rev it up a bit.
    "Do it better: Short bursts of intense activity burn more calories—and up to 36% more fat, according to a study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology. Strolling around the mall or a park for an hour works off about 150 calories; pick up the pace 1 minute out of every 5 to burn over one-third more calories. increase your incline in the treadmill, or resistance on the elliptical.

2. Not enough water in your diet. Water is important for so many things as we all know and it even aid in metabolism. Not drinking enough water can result in your body retaining the little water you do consume. I used to hate water before i started getting healthy back in 2006. I barely sweated after a workout back then... now i drink more water and my body sweats more, could be something to look into.

3. Sodium... we all know this one. we need sodium to properly function, but a lot of precessed items are very high in it so read your labels not just for calories but sodium as well.

4. indulging yourself.
    When you want something sweet, all those fat-free, sugar-free options seem like a smart choice for weight loss. But researchers at Cornell University found that overweight people who choose low-fat versions of snack foods rather than the regular kinds consume, on average, twice as many calories. "The terms fat-free or sugar-free can create a green light effect, triggering people to eat more," says dietitian Cynthia Sass, MPH, RD. But many fat-free foods have about the same number of calories (or more) as their full-fat counterparts. One variety of oatmeal-raisin cookie has 107 calories and 9 g of sugar, and the
    fat-free version of the same brand has 106 calories plus 14 g of sugar.

Do it better: Go for reasonable amounts of the real thing. If you love ice cream, have a small scoop of premium. "You won't stick to a diet that doesn't include your favorites," says David Grotto, RD, author of 101 Foods That Could Change Your Life. Bottom line: Life's too short for forbidden foods

5. Strength training. Building muscle will make the scale not budge or even go up at the beginning even with an impeccable diet and added cardio. It's normal for your body to fluctuate the first month.. but if you keep doing the right thing and dont give up you will start see a change and see that scale slowly go down. Try recording your achievements by measuring yourself rather than weighting in ... as we all know, the scale never tell you the whole story. Also (which i'm doing now) my gym offers body fat testing, which is a great way to really keep track of your fat percentage and know if you really are loosing fat even if the scale doesn't move for weeks.

Hope this helps :)
  • colombiana444
    Options
    ...... -__- ....

The problem is colombiana, the article is essentially wrong. I'm not sure if you think I was bashing you, I wasn't if you did think that, but listen, the article is wrong. you don't need to go outside MFP to research starvation mode, there are plenty of posts here that reference real, scientific data and plenty of very sound practical experiences about this very topic.

Thank you.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Thank you.

for reference colombiana, I've written a blog, one of my posts covers calorie deficits (and another is on the short and long term fasting phenomena), feel free to browse it.

http://banks1850-machinations.blogspot.com/2011/02/calorie-deficits.html

Just so you know, I almost never write stuff without first researching it. I don't always cite the research, but you can always ask me how or what info I have on something. I usually have it squirreled away somewhere or know where to find it.
  • sarahlauren18
    sarahlauren18 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OOhhhhh I'M SO CONFUSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • colombiana444
    Options
    Thank you again, just read the one about caloric deficit.
    Even though the original post and the blog aren't disproving one another (i think they complement each other well actually) i certainly appreciate the extra info :)
    Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thank you again, just read the one about caloric deficit.
    Even though the original post and the blog aren't disproving one another (i think they complement each other well actually) i certainly appreciate the extra info :)
    Thanks!

part of it does correlate, I probably come down to harsh sometimes. But I don't like people nonchalantly referencing the Minnesota study because they usually get the results wrong, Keys (the guy who performed the study) was very clear in his facts and they were very scary sometimes.

Anyway, my point is just that there's so many posts about starvation mode on here already, I just don't really like seeing it again, because it means the same debate starts up again over the same information from the same people and a few newcomers. It really never changes. It's just frustrating after 4 years on MFP.