am i getting bigger???

Options
Ok this has probably come up about a million times, but iv been recording everything i eat for a couple of months, i generally stick to my allowance give or take 100 above or below (apart from valentines day when we had that takeaway) and iv got into exercising treadmill , dumbells and crunches....but even though my partner says he thinks my legs looks slimmer and i can see my stomache getting more defined....i feel like my clothes are tight!!

i dont think this is water retention? i have upped my water intake to about 2 litres a day and i no i should have much more but im trying (i used to go whole days without so much as a sip)

i feel more uncomfortable, like after i eat my waistline cuts into me! in the morning im fine! i get up and i feel slimmer but by lunch time i just feel huge!

Replies

• CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight though?
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium intake? I think this can bloat. Are you working out?
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i havent really been going by scales because i know i can fluctuate and i dont want to be obsessed with weighing myself.

Yes i do exercise. not everyday but at least 3x a week. i get some walking in at lunch time too if the weather is good now and again.,
  • wendiwen123
    wendiwen123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    weight is just one part of this journey; try doing your measurements as well. I get just as excited when my clothes fit better and i look better.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Scales are probably the most accurate way of recording weightloss though?

You could weigh in every 2 weeks (same time of day) to get some idea if you are losing or not?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    TAke your measurements.... and know this.... after you weight train... your stomach and legs and whatever other muscles you exercise will actually make you bigger before they make you smaller..... building muscle and burning fat doesn't happen equally and simultaneously... you will first build muscle... and then that muscle will help burn that fat....

give it anther week or two... all of a sudden your clothes will feel too big... and yes.. if you are eating lots of salt or an extreme excess of sugar they will make you bloat. "that TOM" will also make you bloat. as Im sure you are aware.

I cut desserts out of my diet and my stomach shrunk almost three inches in 2 weeks. that is INSANE. but true.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Are all of your workouts high intensity? I bloat a LOT after very intense workouts. It lasts for about a day. Doing active recovery really helps with this - I will just do some cardio and take a break from the lifting for a day or two depending on how my body feels. Try exercising more times a week but work in some low intensity ones.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Scales are probably the most accurate way of recording weightloss though?

You could weigh in every 2 weeks (same time of day) to get some idea if you are losing or not?

I disagree.... scales just tell you how much your mass weighs....

It doesnt' tell you how much fat you are losing.. which is what we want.

And if its addictive.. like it is for SOOO MANY people then they shouldn't use it... being addicted to things is no good. Measurements and BF% tests are actually the most easiest way to track whether or not you are losing fat. Muscle is more dense and takes up less room./ so if you shrink you are gainin muscle and losing fat. Getting your BF% tested is the best way to tell tho.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken your measurements the I strongly suggest you do so. They're a much more accurate way to tell than the scale (which it sounds like you don't use.)

So what is your program like? Do you have a deficit set up by MFP? Do you log and eat those exercise calories when you do exercise? You may want to revisit your settings and make sure they accurately reflect your life style. If you set it up that you're very active but then haven't been it could have given you more calories than you need. The flip side is are you eating enough? Drastically cutting can be as problematic as eating too much, especially if you don't have a lot to lose. What are you eating? Whole, clean foods or more processed? Those can effect you too.
  • randa_behnam
    Options
    TAke your measurements.... and know this.... after you weight train... your stomach and legs and whatever other muscles you exercise will actually make you bigger before they make you smaller..... building muscle and burning fat doesn't happen equally and simultaneously... you will first build muscle... and then that muscle will help burn that fat....

give it anther week or two... all of a sudden your clothes will feel too big... and yes.. if you are eating lots of salt or an extreme excess of sugar they will make you bloat. "that TOM" will also make you bloat. as Im sure you are aware.

I cut desserts out of my diet and my stomach shrunk almost three inches in 2 weeks. that is INSANE. but true.

Thank you this Is very encouraging! I went through this muscle gain before and the next couple of weeks I slimmed down. Im off for a long walk now with my bff. I have cut out desserts but may have something once in a looonnggg while. I tend to make 80% of my meals from scratch so I know what I'm putting in my body and my dietician said I wasn't using enough salt!!! I will carry on doing what I'm doing and hope for the best! Hopefully I will see the difference in the next few weeks! But I really hope I feel the difference! I'm so uncomfortable!!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Do you have any food intolerances? I have been experiencing severe bloating throughout these past few weeks and am now considering a trip to the docs.

This could be causing the bloatedness in the afternoons :flowerforyou:
  • randa_behnam
    Options
    Do you have any food intolerances? I have been experiencing severe bloating throughout these past few weeks and am now considering a trip to the docs.

This could be causing the bloatedness in the afternoons :flowerforyou:

I have been told i could have IBS which will deffo explain alot of things. But i also find that breads and carbs swell me up. So iv been avoiding them after lunch but yesterday for lunch i had a home made veg soup and a chicken leg and i ballooned again! im wondering if potatoes have anything to do with it aswell! its weird because before i started dieting i was fine with all foods, and now i suddenly have an intollerance to nearly everything!