Calorie Cycling -Zigzag Method

Options
MamaReebs
MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
Any tips for how to do this? I don't have a lot of extra time to plan out all my meals way ahead of time, but I would like to give this a try. What do you do? Has it been successful for you?

Replies

• melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how best to do this too...I've been thinking about it, but I want to do it the right way.
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    I'd like to know about this as well!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I use this one and make it so my high days correspond with the weekend http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm :smile:
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i have done zigzag and its best to do it when you hit a plateau. if you do it constantly, it might not give you the results you are looking for but basically you take the calories you are given for the week and instead of sticking to 1300 everyday, you can do 1200 one day 1400 one day 1300 one day 1100 one day, ect as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the week. it can help get you through a plateau or to give your diet a bit of a kick start but i wouldnt recommend doing it over a long period of time because eventually you will develop bad habits and not stay within your goals. just my opinion though. good luck!
  • lissa71
    lissa71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this too. Has anyone else had success with it?
  • MamaReebs
    Options
    I looked at that same calculator before creating this thread. I am just not sure how to plan out my foods and exercise well while trying this. Also, how does it affect your MFP tracking? I wouldn't like it telling me I was over every other day.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I use this one and make it so my high days correspond with the weekend http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm :smile:

Interesting...i've been kind of at a plateau so I may try the zig zag method
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    In the most basic of examples, you generally have non-sequential days of varied intake; e.g. 3 low-calorie days [say, around 1200 - 1500], 3 moderate [1500 - 1800], and 1 high intake [1800 - 2100]. It works as long as the proper nutrients are in proportion to what you're planning to do in conjunction with those days. The higher calorie days aren't necessarily meant to take in indulgence foods, just an increased intake of healthier alternatives, like maybe having more portions of chicken breast and such, unless you're planning a spiked method of calorie boosting. But that's an entirely different concept. Either way, it helps keep your metabolism going. It works for me. But I am also an avid experimentalist with my body.
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    I looked at that same calculator before creating this thread. I am just not sure how to plan out my foods and exercise well while trying this. Also, how does it affect your MFP tracking? I wouldn't like it telling me I was over every other day.

I've tried the zig-zag very informally. I could just be lucky or it works for me. I will try once a week to eat over my calories, followed by a couple days a week way below my calories. Other days I try to stay very close.

I've read a book called BFFM - Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto (a very successful body builder).
    Below are some excerpts from his book regarding the zig-zag method.

quote:
    At times, an aggressive calorie deficit greater than 20% may be called for, but
    calorie cuts greater than 20% are much more likely to cause muscle loss and metabolic
    slowdown. If you do use a calorie deficit greater than 20%, then it’s wise to raise calories
    at regular intervals using the “zig-zag method” you’ll learn about in chapter six. This will
    “trick your body” and prevent your metabolism from slowing down when you have a
    large calorie deficit.

Here’s another common cause of fat loss plateaus: Your calories are too low and
    your body has gone into starvation mode. Once you go into starvation mode, no amount
    of increased training will help. The only way to get out of starvation mode is to eat more.
    If you know your caloric intake has been very low for a long time and you suspect the
    starvation response is the culprit, the best thing you can do is raise your calories. Keep
    your food quality “clean” (don’t eat a lot of junk), just eat more of the same good foods.
    Depending on the degree to which you have slowed your metabolism, you might need a
    brief one to three day raise in calories before dropping back down (zig-zag method), or
    you might need to raise your calories for longer period.

One proven way to give a sluggish metabolism a jolt is by using the “Zig-Zag” or
    “High - Low” method of dieting: that is, eat one to three days of higher calories and
    higher carbs followed by one to three days of lower calories and lower carbs. On the low
    calorie/low carb days, you lose body fat rapidly, but before your body can adapt, you raise
    the calories back up, which increases your metabolic rate and keeps you out of starvation
    mode.
    endquote

I put the first couple of chapters in here for those that are new and think that simply eating low calories will work.

I'm no expert, but have learned a lot from reading this book. I personally haven't done the zig-zag the way he recommends because I haven't plateaued (yet). Take this for what its worth. I hope it helps.

P.S. - edited: Don't worry about your MFP diary. Some people will ask you why its high or low...just reply that you are doing the zig-zag.
  • MamaReebs
    Options
    Thanks Mike. Maybe I will try just zigzaging my carbs. I am not sure yet. But all the information is very helpful.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this. I didn't hit a plateau, but I was sick of losing .8 lbs or less per week. So I have been doing this for a couple weeks now and on my first weigh in day after I started I had lost 2 lbs. I love it! And it is so easy to follow. I entered the amount of calories I am to eat in the "Food Notes" on the bottom of my food diary, so it keeps me on track.
  • MamaReebs
    Options
    Good idea. But how do you make sure you are still getting the correct amounts of nutrients and stuff? How far in advance do you plan your meals?
  • keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm sorry I don't have any info for you, but I'm so glad you posted this! I am going to try this as well. It makes total sense!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Good idea. But how do you make sure you are still getting the correct amounts of nutrients and stuff? How far in advance do you plan your meals?

You have the option of manually changing specific nutrient and caloric goals per day you feel like taking in more or less. You can set the percentage of carbs:protein:fat ratio so that it coincides with your needs for that day. It may feel a bit tedious, but those adjustments will keep your numbers from turning red. Personally, I have a baseline calorie goal already set, and I don't mind seeing red numbers. The only "plan" I set for myself as far as knowing which days I'm going to increase or decrease intake, are dependent upon the amount of exercise planned for that day. If it's going to be a moderate burn, it's going to be a moderate intake, and so on.

Then I'll switch it up every now and again and go back to the baseline calories for a week or so, then once I've started losing weight, it usually is rapid, so I'll slow it down with a spike day, taking in around 2 - 3x my BMR calorie goal, then go right back to the baseline for another week. But I'm mainly doing that method for muscle mass gaining and fat loss. I'm comfortable with my weight for now and so I'm okay with the fluctuations. As long as the physical results are showing...which they are.