Running for larger girls

Options
I used to be a runner once upon a time and didn't even know it. I hate running, but it has always been the best thing for me to lose weight.

The problem I am having is that now that I have some extra baggage up front, it hurts to run: my knees, ankles, etc., AND I'm afraid that I'm going to get more stretch marks than I already have.

Any advice on successful running for a big girl?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Skip the impact. If you have access to an elliptical trainer use that
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    Skip the impact. If you have access to an elliptical trainer use that

My thoughts exactly. You will leave yourself prone to injury if you force the issue. Stick to something with less impact & wait until running becomes comfortable for you again.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I know this doesn't help but it's food for thought...losing 1 lb. takes 4 pounds of pressure off your knees. So everytime you lose think of how much relief your knees are getting!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Once this no longer hurts add in some small jogging intervals (ie 1 min run, 5 min walk). Gradually decrease the walking while increasing the running. However, if it hurts STOP running. This is your bodies way of telling you something is wrong.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Do deep-water running for the first little bit. It's where you put on a flotation belt (the one's that just go around your waist) and you run in water that you can't touch the bottom in. It's the same motion, but no impact from the ground. Personally, it's my favourite form of running :happy:
  • debbiemacfarlane
    debbiemacfarlane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That is great info. Thanks. Now if back pain worked the same way. lol
  • jessica6335
    Options
    Start with walking. Once this no longer hurts add in some small jogging intervals (ie 1 min run, 5 min walk). Gradually decrease the walking while increasing the running. However, if it hurts STOP running. This is your bodies way of telling you something is wrong.

This is exactly what I do...I usually walk for 4-5 min and then run a full min. :)
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with keeping the impact low. As you lose weight and strengthen your muscles with some of these other ideas, you will be able to run again. I personally never WAS a runner, but now I find myself having the insane desire to run just a little bit whenever I walk. I think my body is telling me something it never could have told me before.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and running seems to work best for me for weight loss too. I started with the elliptical which I found I hated worse than running but I eventually got use to it. Once I was able to get a good work out and felt strong AND lost weight, I added a day of walking in my week. Walking changed to walking fast. Walking fast changed to adding sprints at the end. Now I am walking and running and sprinting and no longer using the elliptical. Good luck!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    I am doing the couch to 5k program. When I first started my knees hurt me quite a bit. I just put icey hot on them, took some aleve, and kept going. I am now on week 7 of the program. At 240lbs I can jog 25 minutes straight without stopping. My knees must have gotten used to it, because they don't hurt at all anymore.