Banana's.... Good or Bad

Options
I've read different article in regards to Banana's, so Im confused are they good for you are not?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Eat em. Just don't overdo it. Even if they are "bad" (which they aren't) they are much healthier than all the crap we all used to eat lol
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good, especially after a workout. They have a lot of potassium which your body needs. Like the post above, dont overdo it though.
  • Capucine72
    Options
    I hope they are good....I eat them every day.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I personally only eat them after a hard workout. They are good for you and they do contain a lot of sugar; however, after a hard workout it's okay to eat good carbs that are in fruts and helps your blood sugar get back to normal. They also help with muscle soreness and cramping.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    eat them. 1 or 2 a week is good. great source of potassium.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Eat it! Try to eat it in the earlier hours (not after dinner), excellent for AM, give you great energy. Since it's more starchy fruit, not so great close to the end of the day.

Read "14 Banana Health Benefits You Might Not Know About":
    http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Food/Good-foods/14_Banana_Health_Benefits_You_Might_Not_Know_About.aspx
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Me too...

I eat one in my oatmeal for breakfast EVERYDAY and then I have another one with peanut butter as an afternoon snack.

Plus they are soooooooooooooooooo cheap!!
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There technically is "no bad food" because they all provide energy. It depends on which perspective you want. From a Glycemic Index, point of view they raise blood sugar and insulin output, thus causing more sugar cravings in a short period of time.

However, from a nutrient point of view, they are good.

If you are following a South Beach or 40-30-30 diet, you will want to stay away from bananas. If you are extremely active in workouts, etc, you will want to consider keeping bananas in your diet. I find that a banana fills me up much more than an apple or orange.

Lastly, no need to buy organic bananas b/c the pesticides do not penetrate the skin (so I have heard on the news).
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat one about an hour before my workout. It's all natural sugar. Great potassium source.
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    Everything is bad if you eat/drink too much of it (even water). Bananas are good for you in most cases, so eat them! Better it be a banana than a candy bar.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever heard someone say, "Bananas are bad for you." They do contain a high level of sugar but it's a natural sugar -- an apple can have more sugar than a banana. Just don't go overboard with fruit.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Eat them! They are good for you!! I was eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat toast everyday for a while and I still lost weight!
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bananas are very good for you. Here are some nutritional facts about them:

Banana Nutrition Facts

* A banana contains Vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber.
    * Bananas do not contain sodium, fat or cholesterol.
    * The Vitamin C, which is found in bananas, helps the body to defend and heal against infections. This vitamin also proves valuable in the synthesis of the connective tissue, absorption of iron and the formation of blood.
    * Not only are bananas rich in vitamin C, they also contain potassium. Potassium is a mineral that helps in the building of muscles and protein synthesis. This is done as potassium stimulates nerve impulses for muscle contraction.
    * A diet rich in potassium is said to reduce the risk of hypertension and stroke. As bananas are free from sodium and very rich in potassium, they can be included in the diet to reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
    * Bananas contain three natural sugars, sucrose, fructose and glucose along with fiber. A banana thus gives an instant and substantial boost of energy.
    * A banana contains Vitamin B6, which helps in the synthesis of antibodies in the immune system apart from red blood formation, protein metabolism and functioning of the central nervous system.
    * No other fruit contain more digestible carbohydrates than bananas. This is advantageous because, the body burns off calories from carbohydrate more easily and quickly than calories from fat or protein.

I eat one almost every day and I am losing weight on a consistent basis. I say eat your bananas....just don't over indulge in them.
  • kimgronski
    Options
    Ok... thank you everyone. Banana's it is!!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i eat a banana every day, and it helps keep me going til lunch!