Diaries!!!!!!! They are a tool to be used.

Options
Diaries are tools for you to use and if you are asking others for help they need to be able to see what you have been doing. It is impossible to give someone directions in the dark!!!!! It is impossible to give advise if we don't know what the problem(s) are. If you are asking for help, please open your diary before you ask so we can be as helpful as possible.

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Amen....
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed....
  • jess804
    jess804 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like the food journal dictates my life........and I dont like to feel that way.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    Wouldn't it also be nice to see the exercise programs?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open just as a suggestion to others and vice versa ... but then again, I always feel someone is going to look at it and proclaim "you shouldn't eat that" or "you shouldn't drink beer" or blah x3... I think it goes both ways. Also agree on the dictating the life statement as well =)
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree! I love when you see someone asking why they can't lose weight but then their food diary is private so you can't offer any advice. (well, only blind advice!)
    At times I do feel self-conscious about posting stuff in there but I know on the days when I am not the poster child of perfect eating, I upped the exercise to try and balance it out!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I think some people don't even know that it can be opened up for public viewing until we tell them. I know I didn't the first time I used MFP and I also didn't know about adding friends. I just logged my food and exercise and went on about my business. Probably why I wasn't very successful that time and didn't stick with it.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I agree. If someone posts that they need help....we need the facts before we can offer suggestions. I even have something on my profile about being honest with yourself and others when it comes to MFP. I guess some are here to do their own thing, but I am on here to meet others and get the encouragement and support I need. I think a big part of "recovery" from living an unhealthy lifestyle is the ability to get honest with ones self and others. I know some people on here go looking at other's diaries and then criticizing them publicly or privately. That is wrong. However, if a person has their diary private to simply hide the fact that they are eating fast food and junk, etc.....the only one they are hurting is themselves. I keep my diary public. I have nothing to hide. I have received constructive criticism many times and I welcome that. I know it is a person's personal preference if they have their diaries public, private, or only viewable by friends. Would you ever go to the doctor and say, "ok, I'm not going to tell you or show you what is wrong, you just have to guess and then tell me what my treatment should be" you probably wouldn't get the help you need. It's kinda the same way here.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it also be nice to see the exercise programs?

You can go down to the very bottom of a person's food diary and there is a button you can click on to view their exercise diary.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Diaries are tools for you to use and if you are asking others for help they need to be able to see what you have been doing. It is impossible to give someone directions in the dark!!!!! It is impossible to give advise if we don't know what the problem(s) are. If you are asking for help, please open your diary before you ask so we can be as helpful as possible.

YES! Agreed!
  • maurita17
    maurita17 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think some people don't even know that it can be opened up for public viewing until we tell them. I know I didn't the first time I used MFP and I also didn't know about adding friends. I just logged my food and exercise and went on about my business. Probably why I wasn't very successful that time and didn't stick with it.

I had no idea untill i read this post. food journal is open and ready for suggestions!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have mine on private. Not because it's a big secret, but I don't really see the point. I have MFP-friends from all over the globe and half the foods they eat I wouldn't even know what they are (brand names I don't know) and I'm sure the same goes vice versa.
  • Vicky14174
    Options
    bump
  • Vicky14174
    Options
    bump