Better With Friends Right?

Options
Hi there. :happy:
It's my first day on here. Heard about MFP on another site and figured it wouldn't kill me to check it out.

My name's Meagan. I'm 19 years old and live in East Texas a bit North of Houston. I've lived in this same county all my life.

Unfortunately I've also lived in the same "overweight" range of my BMI pretty much all my life. Well...I didn't really notice until 5th grade. I've had issues with my weight ever since.
Little to no self-esteem,
self consciousness...
all of those nasty side effects of being overweight and very unhappy. :brokenheart:

When I graduated in 2009 I was 17 and weighed around 190 pounds. I'm 5'3". So obviously that's too high for me. Unfortunately, I also looked like I had lost a bit of weight. I say unfortunate because it means I had to have weighed around 200 pounds. I've avoided saying that. I also avoided scales, photos, and all of those things that had anything to do with the "truth" as much as I could during that time.

I'm now down to 167.8 pounds as of Tuesday (March 10th). :smile: And apparently it's noticeable. It makes me happy hearing people get excited and notice that I've lost weight.
I was dong P90X last year and was eating pretty well but I got the flu and was sick for about a month.
Then once I started getting better I was rough housing with friends and ended up bruising my tailbone. Sooo painful. I was down for a few weeks with that too. Then I ended up twisting my ankle while putting up Christmas lawn decorations for an older couple. That had me down for 2 months. Was gonna start working out again February 1st but a few days before that I had to have a biopsy on my back. 2 tiny little stitches meant i was not allowed to workout for 2 weeks. And then lately I've had a cold. :grumble:
So grrr! It's like one thing after another after another. I haven't worked out or anything in months and I'm so miserable. The 167 is up a few pounds since January. I managed to keep it off during the holidays and stuff but the past month or so took me up a little bit to exactly 170 and somehow I lost about 2.2 lbs.

My goal weight is 135. I want to be able to run a 5k at least. My long long long term goals are to eventually run marathons and complete at least 1 ironman. May be a lofty goal for someone who has never been fit or anything but I feel like I can do it. There's no reason I can't. I want my body to be able to keep up with how active my mind can be. I want to rock climb, surf, dance, snowboard, run, play football or soccer or something on the fly with my friends just cause we feel like it. I'm just sick of being a sideline junkie when what I really want to do is join in!

I've also been working on joining the Air Force. Obviously I can't at my present weight. But it's what I really want to do. To be allowed to join I have to get to 145. I can't weigh more than that. Also there are obviously fitness standards. Not just weight.
At the minimum I need to be able to...
Run 1.5 miles in 14.21min.
Perform 27 push-ups in 1min.
And 50 sit-ups in 1min.
There are tougher ones too. It would be awesome to be able to meet them.
There's the Thunderbolt and the Warhawk. They have tougher requirements that include pull-ups. Might be a bit of a lofty goal but I have a little over a year to get there I think. I'm moving out of my parents' house in May. I'll be getting an apartment with one of my best friends in her college town. Dad wants me to be at least signed up with the Air Force by November.

I've kinda rambled about the weight thing. I do that sometimes. :embarassed:

Um... as far as just some things about me...I live on a 19 acre farm with my mom dad and younger sister (16). It's not really a workin' farm yet. It was my grandpa's til he moved but he hadn't been really usin' it as more than a house. So we're workin on fixin' the place up and gettin' animals and puttin' in the garden. I don't have a job at the moment. I had planned on being in the Air Force by now and didn't get a job because I thought it'd be a bit pointless to only have one for a few weeks but those weeks turned into months... Soooo.... I'm looking for a job right now around here so I can help get things ready for moving then I'll get a job there.
I love crafty things and volunteer work. Writing and blogging. Er well...I'm in the process of LEARNIN' how to blog...sorta. :tongue: I love to read. Books are awesome! I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy. They're my younger sister's but she has great taste. :bigsmile: Just sucks that I'm gonna have to go out and by all my own copies of my favorite books when I move. Grrr... Love to crochet, tryin' to learn how to knit, been drawin' forever but never worked on honing it til' now. I can cook a bit but not as much as I want to be able to. My dad's a great cook though so he's been teachin' me. Love music and singin'. Been a singer since I was little doin' special performances at my little church and stuff. Old fashioned things make me smile. :bigsmile: I mean way old...renaissance to 1800s to retro/vintage.

... :embarassed: And I've rambled again... heh...Sorry. I just always feel like I don't tell enough about myself on things like this plus I talk and ramble when I get nervous. But I've always heard that these kinds of "journeys" are better made with friends to support you. I hope so :smile:

Promise I'll shut up now

~Meag

Replies

• jules_02
    jules_02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a great site and alot of support. I'm 5'2'' and my goal weight is 135 so we can do this!!!
  • HollandTaylor
    Options
    Thanks :smile: I feel bad for talking so much in the first post but like I said I was nervous. :embarassed: Thank you for the welcome!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome, this place is great, you will love it here, you can add me if you would like more friends/
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Welcome aboard! This is a great site for encouragement and support. My MFP friends keep me motivated everyday. Good Luck and remember you can do anything you put your mind to....just most of us need little reminders of what our focus is daily. :flowerforyou:
  • HollandTaylor
    Options
    Thank ya'll for welcoming me! :smile:
  • sewse
    sewse Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi , I just signed up tonight as well. I am on the upward roll from the constant yo yo my weight has always been on. I really am looking forward to meeting some people that are a positive influence and will help to motivate me while my motivation seems to be on the lowest level of the yo yo roll.
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome and feel free to friend me! Sounds like we have similar interests and goals - which is always good. :P

I hope you acheive your goal, and remember to always work hard and never give up! Motivation is hard sometimes, but I always find it helpful to look at the success stories on here, and it reminds me that nothing is impossible. You can do it!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Welcome Meag!

:flowerforyou: This is a great site, so much support. I am newer person her myself and it has been really fun!

Add me as a friend if you'd like!

best!
    Julia
  • allieexoxo
    Options
    add me (: