WTF! =/

Options
I don’t understand…

So I started this diet and work out, about 2 weeks ago. And I lost 5-7 lbs! quick!

Well this past weekend…Friday, Saturday and Sunday…I went off my diet. Nothing major or anything like I USED to eat before I started a diet…it wasn’t like I was pigging out but just eating more freely.

Anyways I’m so bloated I gained on the “scale” all my weight back PLUS 2 lbs!

This doesn’t make any sense? Does anyone know why this happens?

I’m so sad because I feel like I worked really hard for TWO WEEKS and a few days I GAIN it all BACK?

Any input would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday morning! =)

Replies

• lesliedionne
    Options
    I don’t understand…

So I started this diet and work out, about 2 weeks ago. And I lost 5-7 lbs! quick!

Well this past weekend…Friday, Saturday and Sunday…I went off my diet. Nothing major or anything like I USED to eat before I started a diet…it wasn’t like I was pigging out but just eating more freely.

I’m so sad because I feel like I worked really hard for TWO WEEKS and a few days I GAIN it all BACK?

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    You answere your own question. you're bloated. water has weight. voila! there're your 2 pounds!
  • Lauren882
    Options
    I've so been there, give your body a couple of days to even out after your weekend. Plus, if you're bloated then don't weigh in! That's just asking for trouble!

You're doing great, just let your body work itself out. Weigh in a few days and I think things will look better.

No worries :smile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Extra sodium makes you retain water. Drink lots of water, and weigh yourself again on Thursday. You'll weigh less then.:wink:
  • guntherma
    guntherma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, if you had more salt than usual, that will do it. I have a love for Lay's Potato Chips but have had to avoid them completely to get anywhere. I gave in the other night and counted out about 15 chips to eat and found the next morning that I just wanted to cry. I gain about a 1/2 inch around the middle and 3 pounds back that I thought I lost. It is painful to me to give up my chips but if I want to get anywhere near my goal, I have to. Good luck.
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    but water will make me gain all 5 lbs i lost plus 2 more?

either way its a bummer. makes me realize how important it is to STAY on the diet even if its the weekend.

:sad:
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    Being that 3500 calories are in one pound of fat, it's unlikely you lost 5-7 lbs of fat in under two weeks. It's possible, but unlikely. That being said as everyone has mentioned it's about the H2O which I'm betting was about 1/2 of what you lost, which it is why you so easily put some of it back on.

Healthy weight loss should be 1-2 pounds per week (500-1000 calories a day) by combining cut backs in our meals with cardiovascular/resistance training.

Man If I could put on 2 lbs of fat in a few days I'd be Jabba the Hut style :laugh:

Stay encouraged, you're looking great!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    but water will make me gain all 5 lbs i lost plus 2 more?

either way its a bummer. makes me realize how important it is to STAY on the diet even if its the weekend.

:sad:

honestly, ya it can. give yourself a week of healthy eating and excercising. then weigh in again. you;ll be surprised.:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :
    I don’t understand…

Hey Girlfriend!!
    Glad to see you're posting...been missing you:flowerforyou:

Well one thing you wanna remember is you're NOT ON A DIET! :huh: A diet is a temporary fix....if we instead change our wording to 'life style change'...it's simply amazing the difference in our mind set.

Once you begin to eat healthy whole clean foods...sometimes what you shared above happens...you body starts cravin the good stuff and when we toss in a bit even sometimes a small bit..it gets our body out of WHACK!

Very quickly too....:grumble:

I see you've gotten some good feedback/advice....don't let this get you down....take the great advice on NOT weighing after you've had a rough day on eating or eaten an extra bit more than usual. It really is like setting yourself up for a bout of the downers.:noway:

Great advice is what's been shared....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and then some MORE water...keep that water bottle handy at all times, it truly does make a difference...it cleans out our systems and gets rid of toxins, all that extra sodium...oh the wonders of water!!:drinker:

Hang in there Girl....you're doing GREAT....doesn't mean everyday will show a loss on the scale...take your measurements...you'll begin to be less scale dependent and feel much more freedom. Really in the end #'s don't matter near as much as health, feeling good about ourselves and knowing we are making lifelong changes.:heart:

Luv'n Hug to ya Les:smooched:
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice and encouragement!!

It’s a lot harder then I thought, never did I think that jumping off the boat I would gain the weight I lost and then sum, but I never really understood the whole concept of water and sodium and everything else that’s found in food…

And another thing I THINK I messed up on after reading more and more on here…is that I was eating less then my allowed calories everyday! But a lot usually so maybe I lost weight but I was starving myself? So this weekend that with WATER was the major reason I gained I don’t know…but

I guess I was looking for the fast way out of this…but I didn’t gain it over night, I wont lose it over night =( which sucks…but I just need to remember this is going to take time and energy and to NOT give up right?

Lol {I’m giving myself a pep talk} hahaha!

But really thanks for the eye opener, I’ll try not to be TOO bummed at my pants being as TIGHT as they were TWO weeks ago and take it as a lesson learned!

Thanks again my MFP family.
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    also remember that even if you drink a ton of water and the scale goes up temporarily it will go back down, the more water you drink the less water you retain, it takes a little while but it will level out and you won't feel bloated anymore. also even though the scale goes up remember its just water, it's not FAT and that's the key, you want to be burning fat, don't worry about the numbers right now cuz things will fluctuate until you get in a rythme and if your following your calories and workout regimen its unlikely your adding fat so there is nothing to worry about. It's just numbers on a scale right now, it isn't accurately reflecting all the work your doing yet.
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    sorry sweetie!
    i hope your not mad at me!
    i told you though my way wasnt the most healthy but def. worked for me
    hang in there chica!
  • JohnnyP
    Options
    Everyone is spot on. Sodium is a "water attractor". This can be bad since a gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. Everything else being equal, I'd say it was not the return to "real" food, but the sodium content of the foods you consumed. :huh:

If you watch the Biggest Loser. This technique was used to "throw" a weigh in last season.

Hang in there, flush the sodium, and watch the sodium content of the foods you eat.

:drinker: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :
    I don’t understand…

Once you begin to eat healthy whole clean foods...sometimes what you shared above happens...you body starts cravin the good stuff and when we toss in a bit even sometimes a small bit..it gets our body out of WHACK!

Very quickly too....:grumble:

OOPS...when I said the 'good stuff'...I meant the 'good crappy food' we used to eat.:laugh: Sorry if that came out wrong....:blushing:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

Man If I could put on 2 lbs of fat in a few days I'd be Jabba the Hut style :laugh:

Stay encouraged, you're looking great!!!

Just keep doing a healthy choic type of menu, stay with the exercise regimin, log everything... and you will be fine sista!
    Oh, and px90: here's one of my fave before pics of me:
    jabba1.jpg
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: