Filling Out Food Diary BEFORE Eating: Do You Think it Will H

Options
I'm new here and decided to fill out my food diary before I start eating every day. I figure it will help me not over-eat (something I tend to do) by sticking to a menu. Does anybody else do this? I just have a problem with telling myself I'm not going to eat much, then by the end of the day realize I ate way too many calories because I took too big of portions or ate that extra snack.

Replies

• EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've started to do this,unless I have an occasion coming up,it helps you keep organised,I guess.
  • acquiescent
    Options
    This is my strategy, too. It also helps me balance food groups (veg, dairy, protein, etc)
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i normally do this as well atleast for breakfast lunch and snacks that way i can tell what i have left for dinner.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I usually do a week in advance. Over the weekend, I prepare for the next week, then I make small adjustments as needed, through the week. It makes things much easier for me.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I try to do this as well. By planning out my menu for the day first thing in the morning, I can see how many calories I am eating. It also allows me to see what areas I need to better by replacing not so healthy meals with something healthier. Good luck!!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I plan my food out first thing in the morning. It has helped me to stay on track. I know what to grab from the cabinet or fridge if something comes up and I have to leave around snack or meal time. It is definitely nice when you are a stay at home mom and your day goes from 0 to 60 in no time flat!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do it like for 3 days in advance.. Also helps with grocery shopping, you know what you'll need for recipes and what not.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I usually do a week in advance. Over the weekend, I prepare for the next week, then I make small adjustments as needed, through the week. It makes things much easier for me.

me too:bigsmile:
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I almost always do this, when i have a good idea of what I'll be eating. It makes me think of how many calories will be going into my mouth, and if I put it all down and think ,"Whoa, that's a lot!" then I can change it a bit and I'll be mindful of those calories when I'm eating. If you're putting in the calories after you've eaten them, you can't change it if you find it's too much. I think it's a great strategy.
  • gunny34
    gunny34 Posts: 68
    Options
    :heart:
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yep, I love this feature of MFP. If I'm worried about having enough calories left for supper, I just go ahead and put it in, and then I know what's left for snacks and such. It's great!
  • jjjghoffert
    Options
    I always do this. I usually plan my dinners for the week (either I do that or no one eats at my house) and I enter all of the dinners for the week on MFP. This helps me plan how to alot calories for the rest of my meals and snacks.
  • Ningymouse
    Options
    I try and do the same, keep me on track and i know what i will eat instead of figuring it out.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    definitely helps! I always log before I cook so that I know what portion sizes to give myself. I wouldn't say I plan my whole day but I definitely log my meals before I even start to cook them. I also try to complete my food diary after I have eaten dinner to stop me from snacking the night away.
  • gunny34
    Options
    :happy: You are amazing! I, one day will be as put together as your meals (I hope) lol.... Great idea! :O)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I did it for about the first year I logged my food. After getting the actual calories under control, I had to figure out how to increase my protein, decrease my fat and keep my sugar and sodium to reasonable levels. So it took months longer of experimentation and trial and error to figure out what works and what messes me up. I don't log my food in advance anymore because I eat the same breakfast, lunch and snacks, so only my dinner is variable and as long as I make it myself, it always falls into the 4-500 range.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I try to do this when I have a plan for the day, and sometimes even if I don't have a dinner plan, I'll quick-add 500 calories to leave myself enough room to figure out dinner without stressing.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    This is the only thing that works for me! I always try to plan my food at least a day in advance. I get my breakfast ready and pack my lunch with snacks. Sometimes dinner is up in the air but at least that way I know what I have to work with. Then I still calculate dinner before making/eating it to make sure it works into my calories.
  • gunny34
    Options

Great IDEA!!!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I do...it's helps if I know what I'm going to be eating and keeps me on track...you don't even know....I follow it better that way and don't go over as much...