Strength Training Program?

Options
I need to start doing some circuit/strength training rather than just cardio. However, I walk into the gym pretty much clueless and intimidated by all the weight machines!

Do you have a specific program that you are following? Seeing results quickly? How often?

Replies

• DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    before i suggest anything can i ask some things first?
    1. do you want to lift weights, or sick more with body weight moves?
    2. are you wanting to stay lean or grow a little in the muscle department?
    3. what is your level of experience? dont want to overwhelm anyone.
  • mscoleb
    mscoleb Posts: 6
    Options
    Check to see if your gym offers stregnth training classes like Body Pump (Les Mills Classes) or something similar like a body sculpting class. They are reaalt good at teaching you stregnth training techniques with free weights, bar bells, dumbells, etc.
  • shanna5
    shanna5 Posts: 69
    Options
    before i suggest anything can i ask some things first?
    1. do you want to lift weights, or sick more with body weight moves?
    2. are you wanting to stay lean or grow a little in the muscle department?
    3. what is your level of experience? dont want to overwhelm anyone.

1. I'm open to either
    2. I'm not lean right now, I want to be lean and have a little bit of muscle!
    3. Not much experience at all, go through phases of trying to work w/ weights. Oh, and I have very little upper body strength!
  • DeadZip2010
    Options
    i know that some may see this as wrong, but im trying to be helpful...

take a look at this. its from a website i use for a lot of stuff. i understand that it may seem odd, being from a guys workout site, but exercises are exercises, try this program, or at least try the begginger set.

its pushups, reverse lunge with shoulder press, inverted row, and body weight squats. it has reps, sets, and rest times on the page. if you want to see everything at once, just click the printer icon and it will open a link.
  • DeadZip2010
    Options
  • shanna5
    shanna5 Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out the link!
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I looked at this link. I think that was pretty good advice. Women should train like men period.

If you are creating a caloric deficit you will not add much muscle, although addin muscle is always a good thing.

Here is a link with several workouts you can look out. You can also find video demonstrations of all the exercises. Just look around until you find one that you like.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/women.html