Bikram success

Options
I've recently started taking Bkiram yoga classes, I wanted to log my calories burned but had a hard time finding an accurate count. While researching, I found that many people do not understand the difference between bikram and other yoga (hot or otherwise) yet still they insist that Bikram is not an effective excercise in terms of weight loss. I'm proof that it actually does transform your body. I don't care how many calories I'm supposedly burning, the bottom line is the shape of my body is changing and the scale is reflective of what I'm seeing in the mirror. Diet alone was helping me lose weight, however once I started practicing bikram the fat seemed to start melting off me. You can debate all day about the reasons why I might be losing, but I don't care if it's because of reduced stress, more water intake, or calories burned. The point is that it works. I look great and I walk out of class feeling like I could fly. I highly reccomend Bikram yoga to anyone looking to step out of the typical gym routine.

Replies

• heels24
    heels24 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love your post and couldn't agree more. Bikram really does change your body and I'm proof of it, too!
  • praymond17
    praymond17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I lost most of my baby weight through bikram, so I'm proof that it does help you lose weight no matter what people say. The feeling after your practice is AMAZING!
  • marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Glad to see other's agree!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I just started Bikram and I'm loving it. I'm glad there are success stories out there! I've been plugging it in at 600 calories burned, but I've seen places online where it's estimated anywhere from 500-1200 calories. What are your thoughts on that? Do you log the calories here?
  • LoniS
    LoniS Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've just been logging it at 300, but i'm STARVING when i'm finished. i'm not really sure how many i'm actually burning. i feel so much better mentally afterward. it's definitely addicting.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Bikram for a few weeks also, and love how I feel. I don't worry too much about how many calories it is logging because I don't think the estimates in MFP are very accurate anyway. For instance I ride most mornings for 1 hr and the speed I ride at lists me as expending 1000 calories. There is no way that is accurate because if it was I wouldn't have gotten fat.

Enjoy the experience, but don't worry about how many calories it is listed as. I am surprised that Ionis is hungry afterwards, I would just be happy to go to bed without dinner ;-)

GG
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram "hot" yoga for the very first time today. It was a 90-minute class. I'm not sure how many calories I burned but the endorphins after the class were absolutely amazing. I plan to continue doing it and just continue a deficit in my calorie: exercise ratio. We'll see. My very first weigh in since joining MFP is on Tuesday. Looking forward to any results. Keep up the good work Yoga practicers!
  • etropsis
    etropsis Posts: 4
    Options
    I really want to try it!!
  • sidoniecolette
    Options
    I love yoga, & I've only ever heard great things about Bikram... So excited to try it.
  • yttiktak
    yttiktak Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I also just started Bikram yoga and it is amazing! Apparently a 90 minute class burns approximately 1100 calories. But you are right...what counts is that you are seeing and feeling a difference!

Take care!

Kat
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    People who don't think you can lose weight doing Yoga haven't done Yoga. I actually can't stand Bikram Yoga because I don't like being so hot and I feel like I'm suffocating. But I did Iyengar Yoga in college and have attempted the P90X Yoga a couple of times and they are killer workouts. P90X in particular is vicious. I thought I was heading for a "rest" day and got 1 1/2 hours of grueling moves. I actually had to fast forward through a bunch of it. Going to try to make it through the entire thing this week.
  • LoniS
    LoniS Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm getting used to the ridiculous heat. It's been my 7th class today. I'm getting closer to touching my toes!
  • marieisthecool
    Options
    I love the heat, I mean... now that it doesn't make me nauseus anymore :)
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I have to believe it burns a ton more calories than "typical" hatha style yoga. My heart pounds after some poses. I had one instructor explain that it is cardiovascularly interval training. Increase heart rate, rest....repeat. I think I log 600 or 700 calories for a 90 minute class but have read it is comparable to running a 6mph pace, whic for me would be 900 calories.
  • fitness63
    fitness63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is the hardest and easiest way for me to work out. It is good to prevent and heal injuries. Plus who has the guts to quit during class when you feel like your heart is jumping out of your chest. Its easier to say I am done when you are alone and at a gym. The website I use to calculate calories burned is http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm This site allows you to put in your weight. Its the most accurate next to a heart rate monitor. What bikram and Hot Yoga taught me is a new way of life :)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Bikram off and on since 2003 -- I haven't been to a class since last October, but I intend to start again soon. My personal opinion is that it's one of the best "low impact' exercises out there. It's also perfect if you are over 45 (like me) and want an intense exercise that makes you sweat without aggravating arthritis or old injuries. It is like any other exercise in that you also have to pay attention to your diet if you want to lose weight.
  • wanitalilly
    wanitalilly Posts: 108
    Options
    I have been doing Bikram off and on for 5 years and it is the most invigorating and inspiring exercise I have ever done!!
    mountain climbing/hiking come in a close second. Thank you for posting! Great to see other yogis on here! Also, i think i will attempt to do Bikram for weightloss...
  • marieisthecool
    Options
    This is the hardest and easiest way for me to work out. It is good to prevent and heal injuries. Plus who has the guts to quit during class when you feel like your heart is jumping out of your chest. Its easier to say I am done when you are alone and at a gym. The website I use to calculate calories burned is http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm This site allows you to put in your weight. Its the most accurate next to a heart rate monitor. What bikram and Hot Yoga taught me is a new way of life :)
    thanks! I agree with everything you said and I will check out the calories burned calculator.
  • kamyers89
    kamyers89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ah! I've looked at that counter, too, and its estimates seem really high... Don't get me wrong, I would love to believe that I've burned 953 calories per class, but damn! haha. If I follow the 6 mph running rule, the calorie count is 635, which is a pretty big difference from that 953... I would love to know if anyone has any sort of second opinion or other resources on the calorie count for bikram-- I've been wondering about it for some time!
    That said, I've seen changes in my body (in terms of muscle tone and strength) with Bikram that I've never seen with any other workout I've tried (yoga, cardio, whatever). I also love that it is a highly meditative, individual practice; it's all about your progress and your body, and even though you're in a room sharing the energy and being inspired by other students, there is no competition. It's all about you. It really helps me to get out of my head and focus, and the deep breathing definitely comes in handy come finals time:) Definitely one of my favorite physical activities, I recommend it to everyone I know!
  • yummygoods
    yummygoods Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram. I once wore my HRM and it came in at 500 calories burned for the 90 minutes. I'm 5'2" and roughly 135 lbs. Hope that helps! (any yogis, please feel free to add me as a friend!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!