When do the cravings subside??

Options
For those who have been eating healthy and no longer have the cravings for bad food, how long did it take? I'm new to this. It has only been about 3 weeks that I have been eating healthier but the cravings are still there, very strong, every day. I have to argue with myself daily just to keep from ordering that pizza or fettucine alfredo. I just want to know when I can expect the cravings to go away. I have always had such an obsession with food and it's hard to stay on track. I can proudly say that I haven't fallen off the wagon yet, but I'm afraid if these cravings don't go away soon, I will. Any tips or feedback would help a lot, thanks!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It all depends on who you are. Some people find it much easier than others. Personally, I still eat the "bad" food and I am still losing weight perfectly fine. It is more about how much you eat than what you eat.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Im about 1 month in , and its easier every day
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Mine took about 3 to 4 weeks.
    I can no longer even stand the sight of McDonald's or Taco Bell. I ate fast food everyday!!!
    Your body needs to "detox" from all that garbage and then it will start craving healthy food. It's strange to think you'll start craving/wanting yummy healthy food lol.
    I did recently eat some McDonald's and almost DIEDDDD! (was on a road trip and said hey it's quick and easy). BAD idea.
    Made me sick to my stomach.
    Just stick with it and don't give in to those cravings :)
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find that what made my cravings finally stop was quitting drinking diet soda. I don't know if it was the aspartame, or what (I know it wasn't Splenda because I still use that in my coffee), but I have only had water for almost 2 months and I RARELY have cravings. Except for during certain times of the month, and then I just log everything and kick myself after. I know everyone's different, but this is what has been working for me. Good luck; it'll come!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I keep myself from getting REALLY hungry, I don't have them. It takes a decent amount of planning ahead, but if you're able to keep yourself at a comfortable level of satiety all day it might help
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Cravings every once in a while will always be there to some extent, but I found them much easier to ignore once about 5 or 6 weeks have gone by. You just have to push through it and know that if you do eat something that's not healthy it's not the end of the world.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I find that my cravings decrease if I let myself have smaller portions of what I used to eat a TON of while still budgeting my calories to have it. For example, I could have eaten an entire pound of pasta in one day, no problem....let's not count how many calories that would be :) I am a total carbaholic. Now, I don't cook the whole box so it's not there to tempt me to eat more. I measure out however many servings for me and my family and that's it. It's not the only thing on the plate, but it's still there. There are also ways to make your favorite foods a little more calorie-friendly...not exactly the same, but you might find you like the healthy version just as much or more! Skinnytaste.com, Hungrygirl.com, etc. all have great suggestions.
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 months and still have cravings all the time. It helps me to find healthier versions of my cravings....make pasta alfredo at home using wheat pasta and reduced calorie alfredo sauce. my new found love this week is mini pizzas. I use either Nature's Own or Arnold's sandwich thins (only 100 calories), toast them a little, split 1 serving of ragu pasta sauce (80 calories) on them, top with reduced fat cheese (i usually put a serving size on each side), turkey pepperoni, then stick it in the toaster oven.....yum-a-riffic!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Tough question - it is so different for everyone, and has so many variables.

In my personal experience, I find if I have even tastes of "bad" foods, the cravings never go away, even if I'm eating only very small amounts of them.

If I eat natural, whole foods and avoid processed items altogether, my cravings start to diminish around day 5. But that's with 100% avoidance. If I can manage that, even the smell or site of previous "go-to" foods doesn't bother me.

If I keep it up, in about 14 days, I'm craving-free. I still have to be careful to eat a wide variety of foods and flavors or the cravings can creep back in.

Hope that helps.
    D.
  • sellingsworth
    Options
    It took me about two months before I really didn't crave anymore - I try not to look at food as good or bad - and I try not to say I am on a diet - I am really trying to change my lifestyle and make healthier choices - a diet is too restricting. It helps to keep ONE box of 100 calorie yummies - and put off indulging in one bag for as long as possible - try drinking water with crystal light - I know it is hard and sometimes you just have to have chocolate - the cravings do subside.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I find that what made my cravings finally stop was quitting drinking diet soda. I don't know if it was the aspartame, or what (I know it wasn't Splenda because I still use that in my coffee), but I have only had water for almost 2 months and I RARELY have cravings.

I found this out, too. Although, for me, I also had to quit Splenda. THAT was the toughtest thing I've ever done, diet-wise. I loved that stuff.
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey since 2007 and the cravings never have gone away for me :( I know what my trigger foods are and to stay away from them. I plan everything very well and allow for when those cravings hit.
  • nph1960
    nph1960 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't view your food diary, so I don't know if you are still eating "bad" foods. That might be the culprit.

For me, it takes about three days of cold-turkey, white-knuckle-it, eat only healthy foods to get past my cravings. Healthy for me means lots of veggies and low fat food that is not processed. I don't rely on things like granola bars, etc. I know that if I try to budget for something like, say, a donut for breakfast, or fried chicken for lunch, I'll be suffering with cravings all over again.

Good luck!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think I will be one of the ones whose cravings never subside. I do not eat the bad food anymore. I eat fresh fish or chicken breast and I love fresh steamed vegetables. I don't eat the pastas the chips the gummy bears, or any of that anymore. I'm not eating processed food at all. I have always liked healthy food too, but I do like the "bad" food (mostly pasta and breadsticks) as well. It has been 3 weeks and the cravings are not even getting a little better. I have noticed that if I don't get really hungry I don't crave the bad food as much. For some reason when I am really hungry, I want the bad stuff. I like the way it fills me up. So that was great advice, PP thanks! I will try to make sure I don't get really hungry.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I keep myself from getting REALLY hungry, I don't have them. It takes a decent amount of planning ahead, but if you're able to keep yourself at a comfortable level of satiety all day it might help

I am the same way. When I first started, my body had to adjust to the loss of calories it was used to, but once I found out how to get the most out of my calories the cravings started going away. That was about week 2 for me.
    One thing that really made a difference was the water. Everytime I had a craving I drank a few sips of water. Or chew a piece of gum, that makes your body think it's getting food. Extra makes some desert flavored gum that are sugar free, they taste pretty good. I like the mint chocolate chip ice cream the best.
    I also vocalize. When I want something but I don't need it, I say "I don't need it" and walk away from it (if I'm by it, of course). And making a fist helps boost willpower. I know it sounds silly, but it works. I do it when I have a craving here and there.
  • jwstew007
    jwstew007 Posts: 67
    Options
    About a month for me, still crave things time from time, but they are usually just emotional cravings and not really hungry.

But I did cheat once by getting some Chinese food after 3 weeks of eating healthy and I felt horrible, was sick to my stomach all weekend.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up any food for this, but when I went vegan, it took two weeks to a month for cheese to stop being a big thing for me.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of eating "healthy" you should think about eating "well". What I mean by that is you don't have to eat nothing but bland "diet" or "health" food to eat right. Eat good quality food, fresh over packaged every time you can, prepared in healthier ways, and watch your portion sizes. For example, instead of fried chicken, have 4 ounces of skinless chicken breast breaded with seasoned Panko or homemade breadcrumb breading and baked. You might be surprised how good it is and how quickly you decide that you don't need fried chicken any more.

Some will disagree with this, but I also make it a point to eat whatever I want one day a week as long as I stay under 2000 calories that day. I figured my weekly calorie goal (9800, not a lot :ohwell:), subtracted 2000 calories off that for my "free day", then divided the rest by six for the calories for the rest of the week. Sure, that one day a week is restricted to 2000 calories, but it's still a treat, and I harldy ever have cravings. When I do have a craving, I simply say to myself "well, THAT'S what I'll have this Saturday, but for now I'll be good." Works every time!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    For me I'll pretty much eat a small amount of anything that I really want. It also helps for me to view that I can have whatever I want whenever I want. It helps me not to binge on anything because *I never know when i'll get to have it again*.

Its just not as exciting when you can have something whenever you want. Its also easier for me to pay more for 1 cupcake/cookie then what it would cost me to bake a batch of my own. I'm a baker so I love trying new recipes but I also know when I can handle eating one verses when I just know I'll eat a days calories worth so I better buy one treat then share it with my youngest DD.

I guess for how long it takes depends on when you can reach your aha! moment and find what works for you. I know I could never go through life w/o treats so I don't try to force myself to live that way.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have to argue with myself daily just to keep from ordering that pizza or fettucine alfredo.

just an idea...if you are able to eat something similar and not eat the real thing...here is what I do instead of eating fettucine alfredo
    Shrimp (12 oz)...no butter = 337 calories
    Classico - Creamy Alfredo Sauce (1/4 cup) = 100 calories
    437 calories TOTAL

had it for dinner last night...YUMMY
    you could split it into 2 meals and eat with a salad for a lower calorie meal