Newly Diagnosed PCOS

Options
So yesterday was the big appointment with the OB to figure out the reasons for my extreme irregularity and our difficulty to conceive. After doing some research, I had it narrowed down to three likely (as I imagined) possibilities, and turns out I hit the ringer with PCOS. That being said...I haven't really had *too* much difficulty losing weight -- it's just really slow -- and I am lucky enough that most of the other symptoms happen out of the sight of the general public. I'm just barely overweight, so I guess I'm lucky there too.

My doctor was fantastic but I didn't get as much information as I would have liked...from the research I've done I think I understand that diet and exercise are the best ways to regulate it? We're currently trying to conceive, and because of that the doc chose to put me on birth control for three months to see if giving my ovaries a rest would help. (I'm not really sure how exactly it is going to help since I wasn't having a cycle anyway...or maybe I'm not understanding the reason for my non-cycles) She didn't seem to think we'd have any trouble once we got my cycles regular. She mentioned Metformin but didn't prescribe it -- yet? Does that mean I'm not insulin resistant as of now? How (if at all) is it regulated medically once we are finished having children?

I could really use some tips here from some people who're in the same boat. A good amount of my family is diabetic and/or insulin resistant, but none of them really watch what they eat or take medications for it...heck, I'm probably the healthiest one out of the group.

So, I guess my questions are...what should I be cutting from my diet, or at least limiting, and what should I be trying to get more of? Fruits are okay, as long as there is protein with it? My blood pressure wasn't super high, but it's edging up there, so I guess that means sodium needs to be watched too? Do I need to strip sugar out entirely? I'm trying not to get overwhelmed, but since I'm allergic to beef and pork...I'm kinda running out of things I CAN eat, haha!

I'd really like some friends -- not that there's anything wrong with the ones I have, but I'm a little lost right now. Please feel free to add me if you don't mind me asking a whole lot more stupid questions. =)

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    This is probably a really stupid question, but what is PCOS?

Although I'm not sure what it is, I'm sorry you're having to go through it!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Come on over to this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183970-fit-for-future-families-march-2011

We've got several women dealing with PCOS who can answer your questions. :flowerforyou:
  • Riliye
    Riliye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I searched for a thread because I vaguely remembered seeing one, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link!

@neelia -- PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It's characterized by extremely irregular monthly cycles (and sometimes no cycles at all) and a bunch of other unpleasant symptoms.
  • sunshine86912
    Options
    I havent had to deal with PCOS but I have a couple friends who have it. both of them are activitly trying to lose weight and are doing an awesome job, so I know if you want to lose weight you can! I am a vegaterian so I feel you on having to "find" things to eat lol
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS/IR and follow The Diet Solution http://www.thedietsolutionprogram.com/ protein plan. I don't believe in diets, but this is an eating plan for the rest of your life that I've managed to be able to stick with (for the most part). I also take 1500mg Metformin per day. I am a healthy BMI (on the high end, but healthy). Also, I have incorporated fitness into my life many years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I still remember my first cardio kickbox class I took, I was the largest person in the class and I had to keep stopping to take a breath and drink some water but after a few months I was in the front row rocking it! I tried to have a baby for 4 years with my first husband and 3 with my current husband. We just found out we are expecting in November! The key was metformin, weight loss (nutrition/exercise), and Clomid.

Good luck!
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I went to my GYNO for a check-up. I had irregular periods all last year. She said I could have PCOS but, I started exercising regularly in January and eating better and my cycle started again. I'd just eat better and exercise and see what happens. I am waiting for my results still. Best of luck to you!
  • Andy_Anne
    Andy_Anne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago myself. At the time, they told me I'd never have any more children unless we went through fertility treatments....well, guess what, simple life changes to manage it equated to ovaries starting to work again and we ended up with a total oops baby.

Here is what my dr told me.....

1. Change your lifestyle to cut sugary food as much as possible. Stick to complex carbs that actually do something for you, in smaller amounts, but not to cut it all out. I started following a diabetic type program where I counted carbs and made sure to have no more than two servings (1 serv = 15 grams of carbs) per meal. I

2. Exercise. Didn't matter what, but do something to keep your metabolism moving.

3. Control stress.... I know easier said than done. (i'm still working on it)

Those were the first three things we tried before considering anything else. There are some medications out there, Metphormin (spelling?) for one that controls things and will boost your ability to concieve, but it comes at a heavy price... lots of side effects.

I chose to try lifestyle changes. While I did not lose much weight (about 15 lbs), I did start to feel better within a month. Within 3 my cycles had started again and became regular.

I'm not an expert by any means, but following a lower carb diet has worked for me to stay regular and feel better. I have never gone on any meds for it, and am hoping I never have to. I will admit I had been pretty lax in the excercise peice, but since deciding a year ago I was tired of being as large as I had become after my kids, that needed to change.
  • Amybmid
    Amybmid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to make a comment on the Metformin. The side effects are not that bad. Like most drugs these days, the list seems to go on forever, but for the benefits it's worth it. I did experience nausea for the first week or so, but it lessened if I took it after my meal as opposed to before. My ears also popped a lot, as if I were changing elevations. But all of that is no more, and in the month I've been on it, I've lost 10 pounds. My current dose is 1000 mg a day (2 500g pills twice daily).
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You should add my friend Sirenism! She has been dealing with PCOS and TTC for 3 years now - she's very knowledgeable and has lost a lot of weight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/sirenism

Good luck!
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    I too am a sufferer of PCOS and most evidence points towards following a diet along lines of a diabetic, this helps to regulate hormones etc, unfortunately PCOS sufferers could be heading in the diabetic direction, so the fact that you have a family history of diabetics in the family, taking measures now will pay dividends in the end. Try lowering your white carbs/starch.

Best of luck on your journey. :smile:
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Metformin isn't that bad. As long as you eat healthy and take it during meals. The first couple of weeks is a little hard getting used to is, but the payoff is so worth it! I just added the dosage slowly.

Also, I've lost 70lbs so it is not impossible just a bit harder. There is more to it than just not eating carbs. Again, I highly recommend The Diet Solution. It helped me ovulate and get back to a normal pattern. I didn't know until starting the program how absolutely detrimental SOY is for you! I used soy products ALL the time. There is so much to learn!