Breakfast Foods

Options
I need some ideas of breakfast foods with low sodium. I've been eating 100 calorie granola bar and they have LOTS of sodium. I didn't even realize it until I started putting it into my food tracker. Please Help! :)

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is ridiculously low in sodium. I always add a TBSP of peanut butter to mine (which is 75 g of sodium). Either way its relatively low, plus you can buy low sodium PB.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Have you been ONLY eating a granola bar???
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my fav with one pkg of sweetner and fresh strawberries!!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have scrambled egg beaters or egg whites with a little shredded cheddar cheese. The egg beaters is only 80 calories for 2 eggs and the egg whites 36 calories for 2 eggs.
  • HShenkle74
    Options
    I'm hoping to make a change starting next week with eating a couple boiled eggs and slice or two of bacon.
    Currently I've been switching between oatmeal and toast with either peanut butter or apple butter - -but it gets old. lol
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    95mg of sodium in your granola bar is NOT alot!!
  • crnorwood
    crnorwood Posts: 29
    Options
    No, I have fruit with it. I have never been fond of any breakfast foods and its a chore to make myself eat it. I absolutely despise eggs so they are def out..lol
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree...oatmeal is good. I tend to eat Egg Beaters, toast w/ peanut butter & a glass of milk. I think that is my favorite breakfast.
    Or oatmeal, banana & glass of 1% milk.
    I looked at your diary and breakfast is the more important meal of the day and it jump starts your metabolism so you should try to eat more than 150 calories.
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try fresh fruit...it shouldn't have much sodium if at all.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Same here! Oatmeal with skim milk and ground flax seeds. Add a few berries and maybe even a tbsp of honey - delicious! I also eat 2 hard boiled egg whites with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper seasoning to add more protein. I will be honest though - I had to experiment with different combinations of the oatmeal to find one I actually liked. If I am in a hurry I just use the instant and only add milk and flax seed.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is ridiculously low in sodium. I always add a TBSP of peanut butter to mine (which is 75 g of sodium). Either way its relatively low, plus you can buy low sodium PB.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast every Mon-Fri. I get the Better Oats brand, it is so yummy and comes in so many flavors. I add some organic granola to mine (4 tsp for only 60 more calories and it keeps me fuller longer). I might try their plain with peanut butter though, that sounds good too!
  • CourtneyHiatt
    Options
    Egg whites, oatmeal, and Soyjoy bars :)
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    No, I have fruit with it. I have never been fond of any breakfast foods and its a chore to make myself eat it. I absolutely despise eggs so they are def out..lol

If you don't like breakfast foods eat something you would eat for lunch or dinner on a smaller scale. I used to eat turkey sandwiches for breakfast! I never liked breakfast until the last 2 years or so and I almost have to eat it now because I work out at 5a.m. and would be starved if I didn't!
  • crnorwood
    crnorwood Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!! Oats seem to be my best bet! I used to rarely eat breakfast as I am not hungry until lunch. I have to make myself eat something. It just seemed to me that all the granola bar is, is salt. It doesn't offer much as far as fiber and such.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hm, thats not too bad at all actually, in reference to sodium. Sodium is pretty much the number one evil in almost everything. Personally....I eat Special K. It has 135mg sodium, but its got a WHOLE MESS of vitamins, even more when you eat it with the skim/fat free milk! With the milk, its only 160 calories, add another 100 for the banana you should slice in ;)

Lately though, Ive been too lazy to remember to bring milk to work, so Ive been having yogurt with a banana and herb tea. I have to go with easy things though on week days because waking up any earlier for work (then being at school till 9-10pm after that three days a week), I need my beauty sleep haha
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If I'm not really in the mood to eat but need something before my workout in the mornings, I just drink 16oz. of skim milk.
  • xelle2
    xelle2 Posts: 3
    Options
    "corn cake" or "rice cake" with light butter or anything really...
    mmh...easy and delicious.