Knee Health

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
What have you done to help your knees? I do a bunch of high impact stuff like Zumba and Jillian's workouts. At the gym I opt for the elliptical since it's low impact. However my knees are really starting to feel it. I want to avoid injury.

Replies

• leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat so Im hoping there are some good suggestions. I have noticed that since I backed off of Level 3 of the Shred my knees are much better.
  • julsbrandon
    julsbrandon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started this program a month ago and joined the YMCA at my doctors request because I have Oestroarthris in my knee. He STRONGLY recommended that I get hold of a swimming pool.

Within the last month, I have been doing water aerobics (LOVE IT), WII fit and AE Sports (NO RUNNING) and I have lost 10lbs.

Water activities are the best if you have knee problems. Give it a try if you have access.

Hope this helps,
    Julie
  • myndee
    myndee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem on and off since I started working out on a regular basis.. I do the EA sports for the Wii and Nike Training Club, all at home & I recently started running. I know I need better shoes if I'm going to be running but until then a friend who works at a health food store told me extra Vitamin D and Omega 3 supplements along with my daily multivitamin would help. I only started the extras at the beginning of this week, but I hope it helps...
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    I've had 3 knee surgeries (ACL), the last one 5 months ago. I am working out twice a day, cardio for lunch & p90x after work. Here's what been working for me. Good hydration, sleep, and some preventative measures..

As in I take multi-vitamins that include joint relief. As well as post workout BCAA, helps with muscle recovery and post workout recovery drinks. etc..

I rotate my cardio, one day elliptical the next running but always on a treadmill. And the P90x can be extreme but they talk about the importance of 'landing softly'. It's a harder workout that way and better on your joints.

If you're knees are already sore/stiff you have inflamation and that has to be reduced 1st before the healing can happen.

hope this helps,
    scott
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wear a brace! My husband has knee problems and has had knee surgery, but with a brace he's able to run and even play basketball (killer on knees, I know!). He also takes glucosamine tablets (supports joint health) for his knee and uses Voltarin (arthritis) cream, even tho he doesn't have arthrits, but it seems to help him. He also uses ice on his knee after working out. Hope this helps!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Try glucosomine. I've been taking it for about a week and my knees are feeling much better. I've read that it takes up to two week to feel the full effects if it is going to work for you.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    My partner has problems with his knees and he swears by the glucosamine & chondroitin complex tabs he takes. It will never go away but eases it.

I've also heard about rubbing warm olive oil on your knees

good luck
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    love to hear anything and everything about knee health :)
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have crazy-bad knees (osteoarthritis), so I definitely feel your pain (no pun intended-wow, I really didn't mean that to be cheesy). Anyway, I take TriFlex Sport (from GNC store), which is a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement with herbal goodies. The tablets are rather large and you have to take 4 a day, but it is worth it. It doesn't take the pain away, but it decreases it immensely. I also vary my workouts (one day high-impact, one day very low impact, etc...) and wear knee braces during my workouts. You need to find the combo that works for you though, and I went through plenty of supplements before I found one that I like. Good luck!!
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    love to hear anything and everything about knee health :)

anknee help you need LOL just just let me know