International vegetarian day

good morning all

on october 1st of every year its the international vegetarian day !!
i would love to propose a challenge for everybody, it would be to go vegetarian for 1 day..
(it doesnt have to be today.. ) let me know what you think !!

heres a couple facts about vegetarianism

-If we eat the plants we grow instead of feeding them to animals, the world's food shortage will disappear virtually overnight. Remember that 100 acres of land will produce enough beef for 20 people but enough wheat to feed 240 people. meat-based diet actually contributes to hunger and starvation problems in third world countries. In a world where over 26,000 children die each day from starvation

-Vegetarians are fitter than meat eaters. many of the world's most successful athletes are vegetarian.

-Meat contains absolutely nothing - no proteins, vitamins or minerals - that the human body cannot obtain perfectly happily from a vegetarian diet.

- For the animals. This one seems obvious, but sadly for a lot of people, it's not. Animals raised for food today are not raised on picture-perfect family farms like you might think, but are instead reared in an agricultural system that includes drugs, antibiotics, cages, intensive confinement, and dirty slaughterhouses.

-For the environment. This one might not be as obvious to people as the first one was. But a diet filled with meat, eggs, and dairy is a huge burden on the planet as well as a tremendously inefficient use of our natural resources. It takes over 5,000 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat, compared to 25 gallons for a pound of wheat. Over 80% of the agricultural land in America is used to grow food that we feed to farmed animals.

-For your health. Many people don't know just how much healthier vegetarians are compared to their meat-eating counterparts. In studies of vegetarian diets, it has been found that vegetarians tend to weigh less, have lower cholesterol , live longer, and have fewer serious diseases than those who eat meat

-There are millions of cases of food poisoning recorded every year. The vast majority are caused by eating meat

-You're in good company. Vegetarian actors include Brad Pitt, David Duchovny, Dustin Hoffman, Alec Baldwin, Brooke Shields, Jerry Seinfeld,Michael J. Fox, Anthony Perkins, Rosanna Arquette,Ted Danson, Richard Gere, Candace Bergen, Kim Bassinger,Woody Harelson, Mary Tyler Moore, Eric Stolz, Drerw Barrymore, and Alicia Silverstone.

Have a great international vegetarian day !!
may

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    good morning all

on october 1st of every year its the international vegetarian day !!
    i would love to propose a challenge for everybody, it would be to go vegetarian for 1 day..
    (it doesnt have to be today.. ) let me know what you think !!

heres a couple facts about vegetarianism

-If we eat the plants we grow instead of feeding them to animals, the world's food shortage will disappear virtually overnight. Remember that 100 acres of land will produce enough beef for 20 people but enough wheat to feed 240 people. meat-based diet actually contributes to hunger and starvation problems in third world countries. In a world where over 26,000 children die each day from starvation

-Vegetarians are fitter than meat eaters. many of the world's most successful athletes are vegetarian.

-Meat contains absolutely nothing - no proteins, vitamins or minerals - that the human body cannot obtain perfectly happily from a vegetarian diet.

- For the animals. This one seems obvious, but sadly for a lot of people, it's not. Animals raised for food today are not raised on picture-perfect family farms like you might think, but are instead reared in an agricultural system that includes drugs, antibiotics, cages, intensive confinement, and dirty slaughterhouses.

-For the environment. This one might not be as obvious to people as the first one was. But a diet filled with meat, eggs, and dairy is a huge burden on the planet as well as a tremendously inefficient use of our natural resources. It takes over 5,000 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat, compared to 25 gallons for a pound of wheat. Over 80% of the agricultural land in America is used to grow food that we feed to farmed animals.

-For your health. Many people don't know just how much healthier vegetarians are compared to their meat-eating counterparts. In studies of vegetarian diets, it has been found that vegetarians tend to weigh less, have lower cholesterol , live longer, and have fewer serious diseases than those who eat meat

-There are millions of cases of food poisoning recorded every year. The vast majority are caused by eating meat

-You're in good company. Vegetarian actors include Brad Pitt, David Duchovny, Dustin Hoffman, Alec Baldwin, Brooke Shields, Jerry Seinfeld,Michael J. Fox, Anthony Perkins, Rosanna Arquette,Ted Danson, Richard Gere, Candace Bergen, Kim Bassinger,Woody Harelson, Mary Tyler Moore, Eric Stolz, Drerw Barrymore, and Alicia Silverstone.

Have a great international vegetarian day !!
    may
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    I went vegetarian on a whim starting in July and love it. I thought I would crave the steak that I used to love so much, but haven't had any problems. I eat seafood though. Although there are alot of "tofu" meats out there, can't really wrap myself around them. But the reason I have continued doing it is because for the first time in my life i am actually "regular". Don't know if it was the meat that was causing it, or the fact that I have greatly increased my vegetables and beans now to supplement the iron. Either way, I'm a happy camper. So I :drinker: all vegetarians out there. But to all you meat eaters, don't forget to load that steak with A-1 sauce for me please :wink:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    OK, I can do it today, pescatarian wise. I do have cooked sushi on the lunch menu today. Just cannot go raw. I have California rolls, 2, steamed tuna rolls 2, steamed sashimi rolls 2 and shrimp rolls 2..... They are the bite size ones, not the whole roll....

Then I have a Activia small prune yogurt, 2 dannon small yogurt shots, grapes, apple juice nad diet green tea w/lemon and honey.

Dinner tonight?? I could do a large salad with cauliflower in it.... yum yum

We have a ton of left overs like cheese burgers, turkey sausages and ham, but I will do this today!!!!

Godd lucj to all who want to do it and congrats to those that already do.

I was a vegg-ian a few years back and lost 124 in 2 years.....

If I wanted to do it long term, I could.

We could also split the week up.

Veggies 3 days, meat 3 days and 1 day to do what ever...... Hummmmm, that's a idea.

My son is a vegetarian already!!!
  • Whoo hoo!!! Been veg two years in August and it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel so much better about the choices I'm making.

GO VEG!!!!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Wow, I would really like to give this a try! For those of you that are vegan...I have a question for you. Are your husband/wives also vegan? If not, what do you eat for your dinner every night? Is it hard to find variety eating vegan? Is it more expensive? Because there is NO WAY my husband would go vegan....ever, lol.
  • Never been happier or healthier!!!! Went veg Jan. 2007 and have lost 88lbs since!!!! My whole family went veg and we love it for so many reasons.
    FYI ~Meat takes 7 days to rot in your gut before it can be passed out of your body...YUCK! We will never go back! :smile:
  • You would be surprised :-) my husband was a meat and potatoes man and he went veg over a year ago after watching this video (Meat.Org) There are so many subsitutes out there the options for dinner are endless!!! I am not a vegan, however, I just do not eat the flesh of animals....We do eat cheese and ice cream :smile:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    vegetarian since I was 11. :) 22 years!

Yay for Vegetarian Day!

Hmm, we need a spokescreature. We could convince the easter bunny to join our side?
  • may_marie
    i'm very happy to see a lot of support for this !!!!

but come on .. we need to hear from the non vegetarians !!
    1 day !! it will be over before you know it !

and for the people that already dont eat much meat ,, why not say 1 week ? a month ?

you can do it !! for the better of the world and yourself !
    may
  • Oops! I've already messed up. I just had turkey bacon for breakfast. I knew I should have come to MFP first! :laugh:
  • may_marie
    Oops! I've already messed up. I just had turkey bacon for breakfast. I knew I should have come to MFP first! :laugh:

thats ok .. give it a go tomorow !!!
  • What do you guys think of Boca and all those other meat alternative foods? I LOVE them!!! I could sooo go vegetarian (well at least a couple days a week) with those products. Yum!
  • I would have if I knew, lol. I don't eat a lot of meat anyways, would be easy
  • I didn´t know about this, but we didn´t eat meat today :D