Any other Vegan/Vegetarians out there?

Options

Replies

• baabybabs
    Options
    I'm vegan :) Great to see others here. I'd love for other vegans to add me!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Vegan too (10 years now).

Training for an ultra marathon in 3 weeks so I'm trying to find low-processed high-sugar, low-fibre, light-weight foods to eat during the longer training sessions and during the race (I did it last year and it took 15 hours, so you have to carry a lot of water and food). Anyone have any suggestions other than energy gels? (I like them, but I don't want to eat 5-6000 calories worth in one day).

Always happy to have more vegan / vego mfp friends :)
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP community! I'm new to this website...discovered it last night but am loving what I have found so far. I'm hoping to stick to this by tracking my food, exercise, and weight regularly, and using the community support to help!

I am a vegetarian (approximately 10 years now) and have been trying to transition to a vegan diet recently. Although traveling can make eating vegan difficult and I'm working on cutting dairy completely out. I was curious if there were any other vegetarian/vegans out there that had some good ideas/tips.

I need a new breakfast routine because I think I'm consuming way too many calories to start off the day. I usually have a cup of soy yogurt w/ a whole wheat bagel (with either apple butter or soy cream cheese) or a bowl of cereal w/ soy milk. I know I need to cut out the soy cream cheese haha! With winter coming, I might try oatmeal for breakfast. I usually need to do something somewhat easy/quick and don't have a lot of time to "cook" in the mornings before work! Any good breakfast ideas out there?? Any easy lunch suggestions would be appreciated too! Thanks everyone!

I am pretty new to the site, just got into looking at the posts. I have been vegan since July 2009 and Pescetarian before that starting March 2007. I made my food diary open to the public so anyone is welcome to browse for vegan ideas and send your ideas my way! Disclaimer: I do sometimes eat foods that have honey in them and have not been able to avoid ALL bleached sugars/flours yet.
  • bloozysuzy
    Options
    There is a new vegan cookbook out that should really inspire you. "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
    If you don't want to buy it right off, please check your local library to see if they have it or ask them to order it for you.

http://www.theppk.com/books/appetite-for-reduction/

Ooooohhhh...thanks for this...love her books! Just ordered my copy!
  • sugarbunnie
    Options
    Raw Gluten Free Vegan here!
    I've been vegetarian since I was a little girl (I refuuuuused to eat meat, eggs, or milk from the time I was about 3 or 4, by the time I was 6 dinnertime had become a battle to the death... and my mother gave up. I heard the word "vegetarian" when I was 10 and never looked back). I have been a "slightly naughty" vegan since I was a teenager, sneaking a little vegetarian rennetless cheese once in a while.
    I went Raw maybe 4 years ago, and try and maintain at around 75% raw daily. Gluten Free for about 3 years when I found out my "wheat allergy" was actually Celiacs. Bleh!
  • IngeborgB
    IngeborgB Posts: 27
    Options
    Another vegan here! It's interesting hearing all of your tips. I am from sweden, and we don't have all of the products you refer to. Almond milk and rice milk i superexpencive here for example, and I have only ever heard of coconutmilk in a can for curries and stuff? Is it the same thing?

And the daia cheese or whatever its name is. Does not exist here, tho everyone coming back from the us sings a little song in its honor. It's very sought after!

Good tips though everyone! My favourite breakfasts include oatmeal made on water with some berries or banana in it and soy milk on top, or a protein smoothie. Or a "porridge" made with whole buckwheat topped with seeds and nuts, but the last one will really build on the calories.

Anyways, always fun to find vegan inspiration here and I would love some vegan friends if anyone is interested!
  • Emilyanne6081
    Options
    I'm a very proud vegetarian! It was the best decision I have ever made. I have never been so in control of what I am eating, and I am healthier than ever. Being a vegetarian has completely changed my life, and I can't see myself ever going back to meat. I would like to go vegan, because I'm not much of a milk person but I'm just not sure if I can do it because I love cheese.

So anyway hello fellow vegan/vegetarians!!
  • kringhand
    Options
    Another veggie here...I've been vegetarian since I was 11 years old and am now 27 :) I'm also looking for some new veggie friends, so feel free to add me!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian :-)
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    VEGAN HERE! Almost 2 years strong. My veg anniversary is May 1.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for going on 30 years now. Easy healthy fast breakfast -1/2 cup oatmeal cooked with water, and a half of a banana - 2 minutes in the micro. Add about 3 Tb. vanilla fat-free sugar-free yogurt, maybe a few raisins if you like. Its a great meal for around 300 calories. Oatmeal is my best day starter as it quells the urge to binge that other things like cold cereal or toast brings on.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for going on 30 years now. Easy healthy fast breakfast -1/2 cup oatmeal cooked with water, and a half of a banana - 2 minutes in the micro. Add about 3 Tb. vanilla fat-free sugar-free yogurt, maybe a few raisins if you like. Its a great meal for around 300 calories. Oatmeal is my best day starter as it quells the urge to binge that other things like cold cereal or toast brings on.
    I so agree! If I don't start my day with oatmeal, things usually don't go very well. I do 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup of water for 2 minutes, then toss in 1 cup of frozen blueberries or mixed berries from Costco. It's only 220 calories and I haven't gotten sick of it yet! At some point I'll try new combinations, but I love me some berries and oats! :smile:
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    VEGAN HERE! Almost 2 years strong. My veg anniversary is May 1.
    2 years -- awesome! I just passed my 1-year anniversary on January 3rd. :flowerforyou:

And AMAZING job on the 184 lbs lost! That's a whole person!
  • alexlove31
    alexlove31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! New 80/20 Vegan-Vegetarian here. I find the lots of fruit for breakfast after a 12 hour fast works wonders for me. (I don't eat after 6pm in order to give my body adequate time to properly digest all of the food eaten for the day.) I'm losing an extra pound a week by doing this.
  • CSM01
    CSM01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegetarian for like 3 years but i only recently tried tofu (they got it at tesco) but im not too sure of any good recipes that use it. i tried just chucking it in a stir fry but it didn't taste that good. if anyone could share any (or any other recipes) that would be so great.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, too! @Kennie123, you can buy silken tofu and throw it in a blender with fruits and greens and make a drink that is just like a thick milkshake! You get your fruits and veggies AND your protein from the tofu that way! I don't like tofu, but I LOVE tofu smoothies!
  • looklikeaskeleton
    Options
    I've been Vegetarian for about 3 years now and i'm slowly trying to start being a Vegan. Its kind of hard living with all omnivores but once i move out i'm definitely going to switch to vegan. :)
  • uhhmandaa
    Options
    OATMEAL! with fresh fruit! or Kashi and almond milk. Or a green smoothie. I'd watch the amount of soy products you consume, I've read there are particles in soy that mimic estrogen.
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! Feel free to add me.