Oral Surgery Soon....Food Suggestions?

Options
Hi Guys,

I am having some oral surgery in a couple of weeks and I would like some good food suggestions that don't require a lot of chewing....I'm not a big dairy or fruit juice fan. This is very limiting I know...that's why I need your help!!! Suggestions to carry me through about 3-4 days would be great. I know someone out there has an idea!

Replies

• SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Smoothies I'd say!

1 - peanut butter, banana, soy milk, toss in uncooked oatmeal in the blender too.

2- frozen berries, celery (you never taste the celery in a smoothie, and you get a serving of vegetables), orange juice and plain yogurt.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Soups, especially blended vegetable soups
    Fish, fish cakes, fish pie (varieties that don't require much chewing)
    Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (yams), squash, peas
    Oatmeal
    Casserole dishes (without very chewy ingredients)

Some ideas...
  • wifeofsnoh8r
    Options
    I just had dental work done one wednesday, hurt so bad I only had rice and a slice of soda bread. Drank with a straw also although it was sprite, but I had nothing all day except for breakfast
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    soups, applesauce, yogurt, oatmeal
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Ohh... I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out at once so I hear ya...

Smoothies are a staple.. tasty, no chewing and you can make them very nutritious, even add protein powder.

Also...
    - soup
    - scrambled eggs
    - mashed potatoes (and other veggies too..try sweet potatoes, carrots, cauliflower.. or a blend of your favorites)
    - baby food (I know but when you can't chew and you're desperate, it fits the bill)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 wisdoms removed at the same time in Sept '10. It was not very painful, but eating was really annoying.

If possible, try chewing really really tiny bites with the front teeth. If your surgery limits you from using any teeth or chewing at all, then I dunno.

I ate ice creams, puddings, and ramen soups. I felt like such a fatty. And I did gain about 10 lbs in 4 weeks after that happened. Yuck!

I found that I could eat 'normal' food of any type as long as I 'chewed' it with my front teeth. It did take a long time but I was determined to eat something real instead of that pudding junk.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try the liquid soup to gos by campbell's.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out 11 years ago and had a reaction between the anesthesia and the pain meds prescribed so I could only eat jello and applesauce for the first day.

Then it was scrambled eggs, yogurt (there are so many flavors now), refried beans, cottage cheese, basically anything soft and edible. Try slim fast drinks or protein shakes.

Unfortunately, there's also soft serve and ice cream. I know you can find low carb and low cal versions.

Hope this helps. I also know your dentist can and will give you a list of food suggestions for you post-op.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    now sure how major the oral surgery is...so on the extreme side of things, when my dad had is jaw wired shut for 3 months he ate the same thing as the family just in smoothie form...sounds gross to me but he said it was fine...personally I would probably stick with soups :o)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    oooh i just had surgery the other day.... yesterday....so lets see what i have had...

smoothies (frozen fruits blended)
    eggs (easy enough to swallow)
    mashed potatoes
    mashed cauliflower
    soups (even the ones wit veggies are good cause you don't have to chew them).
    yogurt (im not a huge fan of yogurt in general but if you like it, go for it)
    cottage cheese
    steamed veggies with cheese sauce (now I got away with this cause one side of my mouth is still okay....)
    milksakes (my treat)
  • jstalittlecrzy
    jstalittlecrzy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    quinoa -
    oatmeal -
    blended frozen fruit with truvia and some water

add some protein powder (can get it tasteless) to everything to make sure you
    get enough protein - important for healing
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I had orthognathic surgery about three years ago and was on nothing but liquid for three weeks.

Chicken broth
    Ensure shakes (LOVED those)
    Smoothies - blend them VERY fine because trust me, you don't want a little piece of orange stuck somewhere - HURTS!!!
    Carnation Instant breakfasts

If your surgery is anything like mine was, that is about all you are going to be able to handle for the first couple of weeks. Then, you can add in the mashed potatoes and things like that.

Good luck!! You'll get through this. Remember - focus less on the weight loss right now (you WILL lose weight regardless) and get your body as many nutrients and fluids as you can.
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had 8 teeth out in Nov 2010 at once. All wisdom and back molars. It was not fun.

I survived on mashed potatoes, applesauce, scrambled eggs, sugar free pudding/jello and soup. (Select Harvest- Tomato Basil is my favorite and there was nothing to chew!)

I really drank more water and Gatorade than anything. I do have to say that the baby food suggestion is a great one. Not only will you be able to swallow it with out chewing, but think about how healthy they are! They don't add seasoning, salts or sugars so that would be great for your diet!

Good luck and I hope your recover is quick!
  • lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!!! What brand of protein powder is the best to add to smoothies?