Health Pie Recipes for Pi Day?

Options
My baking obsession + complete nerdiness resulted in me organizing a Pie Day in honor of Pi Day at work on Monday (3.14.11).

But now I need to come up with an ultra clean, healthy pie to share! Anything else I'll just taste small bites of in order to enjoy but not overindulge. I want to make a healthy contribution myself, however.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Replies

• T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Kind of off subject, but can you imagine the hype in 4 years? 3.14.15
    =)
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    The HYPE? Really?
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Holy crap, I alomost missed PI day!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Deep down inside I'm a nerd :)
    The HYPE? Really?
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    OMG Thats brilliant!! I am sharing that with everyone!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    OMG! Pi Day is so freaking brilliant I can't even stand it!!!
  • turnerl79
    turnerl79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is quiche considered a pie? This one is DELICIOUS!!!
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=98981

Then there's this dessert pie from Food and Wine magazine
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/yogurt-and-apricot-pie-with-crunchy-granola-crust

A shepherd's pie with the proper ingredients would be good too.

Good luck!
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Its heading into spring now so weve got all the lovely berries and things that you can make fairly easily into a pie :) just fill with assorted berries and a little sugar and top with grahm crackers. You can also do the old favorite of apple pies. Sautee the apples in a small amount of margerine, cinnamon and brown sugar, then put them in the crust to bake. Or you can do my husbands favorites- chocolate cream and banana cream: using fat free jello in chocolate or banana and fold in some low cal coolwhip and youre good to go :)
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    Shepard's Pie can be healthy depending on what you do with it.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED.

Here's a pie I brought in for last year's Pi Day: Cherry Pie
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Healthy-and-Delicious-Cherry-Pie/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

1/4 cup margarine
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup rolled oats
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons water
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 cups fresh cherries, pitted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    2. In a medium bowl, cream together margarine, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in oats, flour and water. Then press mixture into 9 inch pie pan. In a medium bowl, stir together the cherries and sugar. Pour into the crust.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

Makes a 9" pie / Serves 8

It's super easy to make, and as far as pie goes, it's not deadly (Calories: 215 | Total Fat: 6.6g | Cholesterol: 0mg). :) Have a great Pi Day!
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    have you ever checked out Hungry Girl site she has recipes that are always low calorie and fat - there was one for crustless pumpkin pie that saved me one thanksgiving :wink:
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Kind of off subject, but can you imagine the hype in 4 years? 3.14.15
    =)

Haha. I'm marking my calendar now.

On just as geeky a note, you can celebrate an additional Pi Day on July 22nd, where 22/7 = 3.14 (not technically the full pi, but its a good enough excuse as any)

:bigsmile:
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    It's definitely the butter in the crust that makes pies particularly naughty. So a crustless pie, seems like a sweet idea. I probably can't get around sugar though. I thought about doing some kind of berry dish, since they're typically sweet enough not to require added sugar, or at least much added sugar.

Maybe a mango mousse cake? Nevermind, whipping cream. :(

I'm aiming for sweet, over savory, btw.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    a healthier pie probably to me means no refined sugar, oil or butter. i have a few recipes that may help you but i guess they are not technically pie because it's tricky to make one without traditional ingredients, like you said.

but if you make a crustless pie, a great sweetener that is not sugar (or even processed agave): liquid stevia. kind of hard to come by, but there is one that's vanilla enhanced, and it's great. just a couple drops over the berries with fresh nutmeg - yummers.
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    a healthier pie probably to me means no refined sugar, oil or butter. i have a few recipes that may help you but i guess they are not technically pie because it's tricky to make one without traditional ingredients, like you said.

but if you make a crustless pie, a great sweetener that is not sugar (or even processed agave): liquid stevia. kind of hard to come by, but there is one that's vanilla enhanced, and it's great. just a couple drops over the berries with fresh nutmeg - yummers.

It technically doesn't have to be pie. I told everyone else that they go do other sweets, so I can myself. What sort of suggestions do you have? Feel free to send me a message or link some recipes!

I've been hearing a lot about Stevia, but I think I'd rather just use a reduced amount of sugar rather than invest in Stevia. I love my coworkers, but they totally aren't worth the cost of Stevia. :P
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but you're my favorite MFPer today for reminding me of Pi Day! I forget it every flippin' year. And Towel Day.
  • acquiescent
    Options
    Long Live Pi Day !
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    I have no idea, but you're my favorite MFPer today for reminding me of Pi Day! I forget it every flippin' year. And Towel Day.

I have never heard of Towel Day. But you can be sure Pi Day is at the top of my list: I'm an engineer.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I posted a healthier version of Lemon Chiffon pie, on my daily cooking blog, on 2/27. You can check out my blog at www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TracieJ65. I took this to a potluck, that day, and it was well received, especially since it was a potluck for a college hockey team that certainly does NOT count their calories or care about healthier versions of food.