WOMEN OVER 45

Options
Calling all women over 45 trying to stay in shape - constantly battling mid life crisis and mother nature. Suggetions

Replies

• jadedove
    jadedove Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'll be 45 in 6 months..does that count? :)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    What kind of suggestions are you looking for?
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It gets harder every yr (I'll be 47 this yr). But for me, I think I figured out what works: good nutrition, watch portion size/caloric intake, and LOTS of exercise, esp. strength training. And don't get old. HA! ;)
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and loving it! I was overweight in my 40s, and something just sparked inside that I needed to get this weight off. MFP has the best group of people that are caring, knowlegable, supportive. This is a great tool to help you find yourself again. No middle age crisis here.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Work - train hard. 47 and amazed how strong I have become Food play with it and figure out what you need and take your time I've been putting 5 + lbs on a year why would I think it would come off in a few months. A year for the first 30 mostly just exercise don't know how long for the rest but I'm learning how to make better and healthier chooses. Good luck
  • jstalittlecrzy
    jstalittlecrzy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    63 here - does that count?
    It's never too late!
  • mommababs
    Options
    I lost 33 pounds when I realized I was turning 50 and huge. I still have more loose but, menopause is making it very difficult to reduce the belly region. Being faithful to working out, vary the work out and as much as I hate to admit it-keep a food diary. Helpful words-it is not what you do or eat when others are around; its what you do or eat when no one is looking.
  • jadedove
    jadedove Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Is there hope for toning/losing the belly during menopause?
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    43, is that close enough?
  • Enigmatica
    Options
    Is there hope for toning/losing the belly during menopause?

Yes! I didn't think so at first, but mine has come along nicely just by doing upper body exercises while I walk.

It's so unfair because a lot of us have estrogen dominance, which leads to more belly fat, which produces more estrogen = vicious cycle. But you can gradually work off that belly fat and reverse the cycle. It takes patience and persistence.
  • Enigmatica
    Options
    Random double post. I'm going to wipe out the duplicate and add:

I'm 49. I started trying to lose weight when I was 47. At first I didn't really believe I could do it, especially after being so heavy for so long. I was 215 pounds in April of 2008. Now I'm 120. Don't EVER give up!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I turned 45 this past November.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    HI there!

:flowerforyou:

I'm 52 and I get it!!!! It is so hard to lose at this time in your life...belly fat ugh! I've been tall and thin my whole life and NOW the usual things don't work!

So, I'm trying this program and I am really impressed by the quality of people here - truly supportive. And, I think eating smart portion sizes and regular exercise is the key.

Best of Luck, you have my support!
    julia
  • xkwizit3
    xkwizit3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I will be 48 in July...I qualify...lol:heart:
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 45 and will be 46 in June.....I will say it does get harder to lose in our 40's but not impossible! I started here a month ago and I am down almost 8 lbs. My energy level has decreased but with good diet and exercise, it is improving. It's just a matter of getting that metabolism going again!! I was always a non-breakfast eater and that was the worst thing I could do. Don't skip meals, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with small healthy snacks in between. The biggest thing for me was switching to drinking just water. It takes awhile to get used to but now I love my water with lemon:) Stay active, keep moving, and let's not let age catch up with us. Good luck to all you good ladies:) Feel free to add me if you like~
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Woohoo you go girl,,, that is amazing and you look great:)
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and it is definitely harder the older I get. When I'm eating right and exercising I just feel so much better. I think my problem is that I've taken care of my kids and husband for so many years without really taking care of myself. Sometimes you even feel guilty about taking that time you so desperately need to be healthy. I went to a women's summit this week and every powerful women that spoke had the same message, you deserve to take care of yourself and you don't have to be perfect. Enjoy yourself, the weight will come off, even if it's slower than when we were 20.