P90X Classic or P90X Lean???

Options
I'll be starting P90X soon and can't decided which workout I should do. I want the maximum weight loss from P90X Lean but I also want to tone muscle as in P90X Classic. How did it work for you guys? Any suggestions?

Replies

• samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to be lean/fit go with Lean. It will still tone you the same basically, just in a lean way instead of bulking you up.
  • Kristeng17
    Options
    I did the lean when i was doing it. I wanted to tone and lose not bulk up.
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lean!!!!~ if you wanna loose weight and tone! Classic- if you wanna tone. PLUS lean is easy cause not as many push up-- although still plenty, and no plyos which are killer. Lean is a great workout I would do 90lean and then do 90classic =)
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options
    Okay, thanks ladies!!
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There is a pervasive myth of women 'bulking up' by weight lifting. This is not true. We're simply not made that way. Can we get better muscle tone and some size? Absolutely! And some women do have genetic predisposition to more easily gain some bulk - but all that means is that there will be some visible size not that you will turn into a female version of Arnold. For example my Sister in Law who has a masters in kinesiology and is working as a personal training BUSTS her *kitten* in the gym because she wants to get some definition, but her body simply isn't coded that way, whereas I naturally have a more muscular build.

The main difference between Lean and Classic is that Lean incorporates more cardio then the classic version. I've done extensive research on which one to do (please go check out the beachbody.com forums which is filled with people who do p90x and insanity) and the consensus is that the classic is a superior program for all over fitness and strength training. The lean is partly to a) cater to womens fear of 'the bulk' and b) the extra cardio included can help those with LOTS of weight to lose do so.

So unless you have oodles of weight to lose I would recommend the classic version.
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options
    Thanks CurriedGraxxhopper. I will look into the forums. On the Get Started video he stated that you could start with the Lean and then which to Classic for Phase 2 so I may try doing that.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Classic! You will increase your metabolism and women don't do enough in the way of weights IMO. Besides it's almost summer and your shoulders in tank tops will look hot.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to be lean/fit go with Lean. It will still tone you the same basically, just in a lean way instead of bulking you up.

Wow could this be more wrong? Women do not produce enough testosterone to "bulk up". Lean will not tone you basically the same, because it does not have as much resistance training. I really wish people would stop pretending to know what they are talking about.

If you are looking to burn fat and tone muscle go with the Classic version.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My two cents...

I am doing the Lean version. I have all of the time in the world (this is a journey) and I wanted more cardio to burn a little extra fat while still doing resistance training. I have ignored strength training over the years and did not want to jump into something as hard core. My plans are to take a week or two off after graduating Lean and do the Classic version. This is my personal decision and whatever you do should be your personal decision. Even if you end up doing Classic, you can keep your weights relatively light and go for higher reps instead of heavier weights with lower reps. Good luck!
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options
    Thanks guys!