Pizza - treat day - HELP??

Options
twinwolf
twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
First off let me start by saying I love this site! There is something rewarding about helping others and being able to get answers all at one place. The best part is 99% of both is good intentioned and actually fairly helpful! So a big thanks to all!

Now, onto the "HELP???" part!

I have stayed away from a lot of unhealthy choices for over a month now. One of them is pizza. Today my daughters and I are going out to the movies, doing some shopping, and as part of my spike day I am allowing myself one meal by lunch time of either red meat or pizza. Red meat is easy to figure out. Pizza however is proving to be more difficult to figure out. After searching the database for "your average Italian/Sicilian" pizza place (not Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Pizza Pizza, or any of those), I can't find one that has most of the breakdown. Most have "N/A" in all or most of the nutritional info. I for one refuse to believe pizza carb, sodium, fat, and protien is N/A! As much as that would be awesome!

So, if anyone could reply with a nutrition break down, even close helps. If you only have those nutrition stats I just listed, that would be good enough! Oh, and average calories!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Replies

• downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If it were me and I had run into this problem, I would take a good look at the pizza type and try and compare it to something similiar that does have the actual calories, carb, protein etc. counts and just use those. Maybe the pizza place you are going to has a nutritional counter, you might ask if you haven't already! If you do end up guestimating, as I have in the past with some foods I'm sure you will come quite close and it won't be a big problem, just guestimate on the higher side. Lots of luck with that, I have may have helped in some way!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Uno Chicago Grill has a menu on line:
    http://www.unos.com/nutrition.php
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What places are you thinking about going to?

California Pizza, Uno Chicago Grill (like coronalime said) and Boston Pizza all have online nutrition facts:

http://cpk.com/menu/pdfs/nutrition.pdf

http://www.unos.com/nutrition.php

http://www.bostonpizza.com/en/nutrition

I would also check on calorieking.com: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/search.php?keywords=sicilian+pizza&showresults=yes
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here is a nutritional breakdown on livestrong.com of a Sicilian pizza slice: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/pizza-pizza/pizza-slice-sicilian/

Calories: 509*

* Calories from Fat 53

% Daily Value *

* Total Fat 5.9g 9%
    * Saturated Fat 0.8g 4%
    * Monounsaturated Fat 3.5g
    * Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
    * Sodium 296mg 12%
    * Potassium 205mg 6%
    * Total Carbohydrate 97.8g 33%
    * Dietary Fiber 4.1g 16%
    * Sugars 1.4g
    * Protein 14.3g 29%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 10.4% Carbs 76.9%
    Protein 11.2%

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/pizza-pizza/pizza-slice-sicilian/#ixzz1GONGgdXG

I hope this helps!
  • cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My I go to my local pizza shop, I use the entry in the my fitness pal database that is called
    Your Average Pizza Place-plain cheese slice-large pie
    I usually have 2 slices. This is what the nutritional breakdown is for 2 slices:
    calories-620
    Carb-68
    Fat-20
    Protein-24
    Sodium-442
    Fiber-4

If you search the database for Average Pizza Place it should come up. I thought it was the most accurate. You can then itemize any toppings you might be eating.
    I also want to add, that I began my weight loss journey in Sept. 2010. I have lost over 50 lbs and am almost at my goal weight (6lbs. to go) and my family eats pizza every Friday night. I too have eaten 2 slices of pizza every Friday evening and have continued to lose weight every week! I just eat lighter the rest of the day on Friday so it is worked into my calories for the day and is not a cheat day!

Good Luck to you!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I can't find good nutrition information on MFP, I'll find more useful information on this site:

http://caloriecount.about.com/

If you search "Sicilian pizza" it brings up a page with a lot of different options, and it has a pretty complete nutrition label for most of them.

HTH
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    This is for 1/8 large cheese pizza:

Nutrition Facts
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 372.3
    Calories from Fat 142.4

Fat 15.8 g 24 %
    Saturated Fat 6.7 g 34 %
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.8 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 4.4 g
    Cholesterol 32.4 mg 11 %
    Sodium 723.0 mg 30 %
    Potassium 217.5 mg 6 %
    Carbohydrate 40.9 g 14 %
    Dietary Fiber 2.6 g 10 %
    Protein 16.6 g 33 %
    Alcohol 0.0 g

Vitamin A 10 %
    Calcium 28 %
    Vitamin D 0 %
    Thiamin 27 %
    Niacin 19 %
    Vitamin B6 6 %
    Phosphorus 31 %
    Selenium 52 %
    Vitamin C 1 %
    Iron 14 %
    Vitamin E 6 %
    Riboflavin 24 %
    Vitamin B12 15 %
    Manganese 20 %
    Copper 10 %
    Magnesium 8 %
    Zinc 13 %

I use fitday.com to get generic values.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the other poster who said to try comparing your slice to a known slice. My son and I had a national brand frozen pizza last night, and I ate close to the label size portions. Now I know how much I ate, so I can visualize if I went to the mall food court or the local mom-n-pop pizza joint. Guesstimate off the known, maybe add a little on all numbers, and enjoy.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking pizza from a food court in the mall? If so, I found some info for Sbarro pizza, which is one of the normal pizza places found in malls. I just googled sbarro pizza nutrition.
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem,one of my favorite local places is an artisan pizza place. I know that I'm not going to find all the ingredients on this or any site I start with a cheese pizza and then add the ingredients myself. Sorry couldn't be more help. ENJOY YOUR PIZZA!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    veggies and light cheese.
    you can google major brand name, like my fave "Papa John's" nutrition to get the details on the big chains.
    Or even eat something you really like then have soda or a salad with the girls.

At the mall there will be other choices

My wife misses Friday night pizza so last night I made us pizzas I got from the recipe forum here. I had 2 for under 400 cals and they weren't bad. I'm going to adapt cooking style to get crust crispy because it ate like calazone. Maybe get theirs to go and have a picnic with the little ladies.

1 pita - I used Joseph's oat bran & stone ground whole wheat Pita bread (purchased at Wal-mart in the deli and just 60 calories)
    3 Tbsp. of great value brand natural pizza sauce or brand of your choice
    8 slices of hormel turkey pepperoni
    3 sliced fresh sliced mushrooms
    3 slices of sliced red onions
    1/4 cup of sliced bell peppers Pile on the veggies....they are low in calories
    1/4 cup of great value ripe black olives
    1/8 cup of shredded mozarella cheese
    Top with sauce and toppings and bake in oven at 425 until cheese is hot and bubbly. Of course, your toppings may be different so the calories may be more or less.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! A lot of great ideas! I really appreciate it!

Matt
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hey guy ... when I was on a date with the missus about one week into MFP, we went to Round Table Pizza. At first she was a little squeamish to choose it, but I told her I could choose stuff that fit into my plan. I knew I had about 600-700 calories left on my day, and so we each ordered personal pizzas. I got mine skinny crust (that saves up to 100 calories) and one topping. I chose tomatoes. It was one of the tastiest pizzas I've had in awhile, too! I think I ended up going over by 40 or 50 calories that day because of a small snack we had on our drive home, but it was totally worth it.

So ... go skinny/thin crust, and order a one or two-topping pizza with healthy toppings. If you're ordering with your kids, order the pizza half your choice and half theirs.