Could I be losing weight TOO quickly?

Options
I am a small person and started MFP with only 10.2lbs to lose to reach my goal. I'm on day 27 (or maybe 28?), and as of this morning I've lost 7lbs, or almost 2lbs per week, even though I've got my goal set at only .5lbs/week. On one hand, I am happy to be losing quickly, but at the same time I'm a little concerned that it's going too fast! I know that my eating stats are very close to accurate because I weigh almost everything (in grams, no less!), so all I can figure is that maybe I am burning more than I think I am... Any thoughts?

Replies

• dihardcheer86
    Options
    Were you eating really poorly before you started your plan on MFP? Your body might be responding well with the nutritious foods you're putting in and that you are exercising too
  • Kell44
    Kell44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem. ;-)
  • lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    I weigh everything on a scale too for the most part....it's good portion control which in turn will help you lose because you're not eating a lot of "excess" calories.
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options

ditto
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I think a big part of your loss may be water weight. Now that you are consciously eating better and drinking more water your body is reducing it's water retention. As long as you are eating at your calorie goals and eating back exercise calories you should be fine. Water weight is part of the reason dietitians tell people to have a 10-20lb weight range for maintenance rather than an exact number.
  • southtaski27
    Options
    Whenever I start a healthy eating plan, I lose 5-6 pounds the first week, then I lose 2-3 the second week, then it slows down to 1-2 or less per week.... The more I exercise, the more I lose, but after 6 weeks or so, I usually gain a pound before losing again, then it goes to about a pound a week or less. I hope this makes sense.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message. :-)
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options

Ditto
  • jjr1567
    jjr1567 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would agree with the first two respondents-- youre body is responding well to you r new eating plan and also, the weight may be primarily water. if possible, get on a Tanita scale that will also give you your BMI, body fat analysis and hydration percentage. That will give you an accurate idea of exactly what you are losing. Congrats on your changes for the better!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think as many have said; when you change the quality of the food you consume or change how much you eat your body responds well. Doesn't happen to every body at the same rate but maybe your body is just loving and healing itself, well at least that's the way I see it. Suggestions would be is to take measurements I don't agree that its all water weight coming off, but again I'm not an expert. Our bodies now a days are so used to perservatives and things that we aren't supposed to be eating and so dehydrated that when we treat it well with good fuel it naturally starts to let go of the fat that its holding on too because you're feeding it better quality food and not starving it of the nutrients. That I know is a fact, google it. Oh and congrats, what a great way to reach your goal.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses! I am feeling less concerned now. :)
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    Our bodies now a days are so used to perservatives and things that we aren't supposed to be eating and so dehydrated that when we treat it well with good fuel it naturally starts to let go of the fat that its holding on too because you're feeding it better quality food and not starving it of the nutrients. That I know is a fact, google it. Oh and congrats, what a great way to reach your goal.

Thanks especially for this. Eating real food is so amazing. :)
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to focus on exercise and toning up rather than losing any more weight.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    Maybe you need to focus on exercise and toning up rather than losing any more weight.

I do like this suggestion, but as far as shape and definition I am pretty happy with where I am--lean, but still curvy and not overly muscular. I'm actually content with the size/weight I am, too, but if I lose the 3.2lbs I have left, that will put me smack in the middle of my 10lb happy range--i.e. my goal weight has a 5lb buffer on both sides. This way, during times when I'm more active, I won't go too low if I lose 5lbs, and when I'm less active or eating too much over the holidays, the extra 5lbs I gain won't put me up too high. So I'm within my happy range now--I just want to be in the middle of it instead of towards the top! :smile: