Dead Thyroid

Options
Hello MFP Friends....I had a blood test done and found out my thyroid is dead! My Dr has put me on 50 mg of Synthroid daiy. I suspected something was wrong because of working my butt off at the gym, consuming 1200 calories daily and not loosing a pound. So.....now what should I expect? How long before I will feel like I have more energy and drop a few pounds? Any help on this topic will be so helpful to me. I'm trying to educate myself on a "Dead Thyroid"!

Replies

• Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I began to feel better after about 3 days of taking my thryoid medicine and it took about 2 weeks before I started to notice a steady decrease on the scale. :smile:
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My mom has this and she said it took her a good three months of tweaking the synthroid to finally be sure they got the right dosage. Once it's set, you should start seeing a difference relatively soon.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    My thyroid is also dead. I take synthroid, exercise and watch my calories everyday. There is hope...I have been exercising and counting calories since Jan 1 and i've lost 23 pounds, so it can be done. It may take you some time so the medicine can get into your system and start working.
  • blazestarr
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid 10 years ago. Which was explained to me as being an over active thyroid. My doctor was recommending I completely remove my thyroid which would be a life time of being on medication plus an ugly scar. I opted to take meds instead to try to control it. After a year on meds and me not feeling any better I went for a second opinion. I was rechecked and this Doctor did not find anything wrong with my thyroid. I get my thyroid checked on a regular basis. If you haven't already I would get a second opinion before stressing your body out. Other than that when I thought I had a thyroid problem all the material I read stated that with the right meds, healthy diet and exercise is all it takes to maintain your health. I am sorry to say I don't know how long it takes. I think the most important thing is finding what medication works best with your body. I hope this was helpful, and good luck. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.
  • padigirl
    padigirl Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for your help. Hopefully my meds will work for me and I'll be successful in my weight loss goals!