Planning Meals

Options
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried and has it worked? I keep trying sometimes and theres always something changing.

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do...each Sunday is grocery shopping day and before I go, I plan my meals out. I post them up on the fridge so I know each morning what I need to cook that day. Of course, it doesn't always work out perfect...sometimes I get too busy and just pop something in the microwave...but, for the most part, it works.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    That does seem like a good idea- keeping a meal plan on your fridge. :happy:
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do! I plan each meal weekly. I found that I am more likely to eat less calories if I have something on the schedule that is higher. I also save A LOT of money at the grocery because I have an exact list of what we need.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    i dont plan per se, i always have fresh veggies salad stuff in the fridge, i cook 12 chix breasts & keep them in the fridge for snacks & quick lunches, i usually have a small amount of whatever im making for thefamily, meat loaf, pork chops etc with veggies & salad,
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't plan for the week, but I plan for the day. When I wake up in the morning I figure out everything for the day....I also plan on what I will cook for supper the night before. I change my mind too much to plan for the week. But, I also go to the grocery more than once a week.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a calender on my fridge and i plan our dinners and write it on each day for 2 wks at a time. it helps so much w trying to lose weight
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    sometimes cooking in bulk helps, but you need to remember to maintain portions. I sometimes cook stews at the beginning of the week then put them into individual containers (or measure out servings per container). freezing it also helps for later use.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont have much time to cook so each time i go shopping I pick out 3 recipes that i'm going to make that week and get those groceries, plus stuff i eat every week like juice, bread, eggs, fruit, yogurt, canned tuna...

But when i cook i usually cook 4-6 serving at least (I just cook for myself) so those 3 recipes last all week.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I plan the night before for the next day's meals. This definitely keeps me on track calorie wise and I love the feeling of control this gives me.
    I eat fairly simply and don't make elaborate meals.
    My freezer is always stocked with fish, chicken, shrimp, veggies and fruits and it's just a matter of pulling something out to defrost for dinner.
    I always have salad greens on hand and eggs are a staple for quick meals when I don't want to fuss too much.

Most of my meals are ... protein + veggies + fat and occasionally grains or sweet potato made more flavorful with herbs and spices.
    I'm never bored as there is so much variety of each to keep my tastebuds and eyes happy.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes I plan for the week and find it really helpful, I choose meals that fit around my working hours and our family's commitments etc. I also do my grocery shop online so don't get 'tempted' or make impulse buys. For mfp-ers in the UK - have you found www.mysupermarket.co.uk ? Fantastic and free!

I love it that I only have to decide once what I'm going to cook and get a better balance of foods over the week.

I also decided that this year I'd only cook meals that took 30mins or less to prepare on weekdays. This has been releasing for me' - especially as I prefer to cook 'from scratch'.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i blog mine (i hope you'll stop by each week!), but they are not set in stone. i always plan a day to eat out and a day for leftovers, that way if plans change, we can roll with it. :)

http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com
  • Bryce58
    Bryce58 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I plan our meals weekly. It helps (and works) in 2 ways; it means I grocery shop only once weekly, and at also means I don't have to worry about meals on a daily basis.
    When planning, I tidy my fridge and note my leftovers in fridge/pantry/ fruit bowl and plan those into meals - Only then do I go shopping. It saves $$ and makes for nutritious, healthy, stress free week of eating.
  • sjodrum
    sjodrum Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my meals at least the day before. I use the MFP food tracker and set it all up just the way I like. Then I print it and put it on the fridge so I can prep for breakfast and lunch the next day. It also lets my wife know what's in store for dinner that night, which we usually prepare together when I get home from work. She likes it when I plan the meals. :)

If I am really ambitious, I will plan out a whole week on Saturday or Sunday. It takes a lot of time, so I don't do it very often.

I have found that planning like this and then following the plan the next day is the best way for me to lose pounds. Because I eat the same things over and over, I find the MFP tracker to be the best one I have found to make up my meal plans, because of the list of items that you can just check off for each meal.