ideas for high protein low carb foods

Options
So, I need some ideas of some high protein foods but low in carb and fat.

I am on a very tight budget and can only afford to eat meat a few times a week. What are some ideas for meals that are high protein but low carb and fat? I'm thinking I want some vegetarian meals, but I'm not vegetarian so I can add meat here and there but I don't want to depend on the meat for protein.

I really dislike greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

I've been living off nuts and cheese this past week (due to budget really) but I would like more ideas for MEALS not snacks? And kid friendly too, I am caring for my two younger brothers (ages 2 and 7) but I can make something for them and something for me some nights.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• robdog316
    robdog316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some protien powder.
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lentils are a good source of protein, and they're cheap.
  • jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    Options
    Get yourself some protien powder.

Any suggestions of what brand/kind?
    Lentils are a good source of protein, and they're cheap.

I've been making a "taco soup" and it is a huge hit. It's mostly beans. How can I cook lentils?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Um, tofu and eggs? I'm curious to see what others say. Asking for low carb vegetarian ideas might be a little tricky.... Vegetarian meals usually begin with a grain so...
  • robdog316
    robdog316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the GNC Brand. It goes on sale 1-7th of the month for 20% off. Or you can visit bodybuilding.com they have a good selection.
  • jaysp87
    Options
    I've been starting my mornings with hard boiled eggs. I am out of them but I was doing good with that for a week. I should get more.

I can't buy bread. I'll eat it all in a day. Rice is okay though. Grains are okay, just not bread.
  • jaysp87
    Options
    I usually go with the GNC Brand. It goes on sale 1-7th of the month for 20% off. Or you can visit bodybuilding.com they have a good selection.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'd still love other ideas for meals and foods...
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lentils can be used for all kinds of things. Soups, pilafs, you can even use them to make baked items. You can use them for almost anything you can use beans for.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    fish,including tuna and salmon

Tofu

Soy milk

Low fat dairy products

Beans and legumes are a great source of protein and are low in fat... chick peas, navy beans, kidney beans etc. Make a nice soup out of them and fill yourself up and get protein and fiber at the same time
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If you are ok with grains then you should try quinoa. It's a grain that's a complete protein very affordable and as easy to make as rice. Very kid friendly and it goes with anything. Just remember to rinse well before cooking. It's delicious. However, it is not low carb.
  • Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    If you are ok with grains then you should try quinoa. It's a grain that's a complete protein very affordable and as easy to make as rice. Very kid friendly and it goes with anything. Just remember to rinse well before cooking. It's delicious. However, it is not low carb.

Actually Quinoa which not a grain. It is a seed.

It is very healthful and full of nutrition and a great option.
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of fish - which is full of protein. mackerel, sardines, tuna, salmon etc you can have it as a salad :)
  • alisha712
    Options
    A couple people already mentioned Quinoa here. It's great. If you're a pasta person, you can at least keep your indulgence in check by cooking with quinoa pasta. Its gluten free, protein high, but still has a carb count... though it may be lower than normal pasta and certainly tastes better than whole wheat pasta. It takes some getting used to to cook it (it can be sticky) but i love it with all my normal pasta sauces - you can't really tell a difference. It's available in most specialty/ organic food stores (I buy it at sunflower, i've rarely seen it at Trader Joe's but they're coming around to it), and sometimes in the organic aisle of your smith's or albertsons...

Also, you mentioned you don't like yogurt. If it's the texture you hate (me too) and you like pudding texture, try Greek yogurt. 1/2c greek yogurt ( remember thick, pudding texture!) has 14-16g of protein in it! That's more than many bottled protein shakes! Chobani makes a variety (that's my favorite brand) and the fruit ones have real fruit (its in the bottom, so be sure to stir!)

Good luck!
  • Alice37
    Alice37 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi
    I make a lentil ragu which is lovely, very filling & incredibly cheap! I had some in a plain baked potato with a salad for lunch & only needed a snack at dinner! It's on the BBC Good Food site: www.bbcgoodfood.com You can also search the site by ingredient, so if you type in lentil it comes up with loads of ideas & they all have reviews. :-)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Anything dairy fat free. Except ice cream.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Fish - now is a great time too - lent just started so many stores have good sales on all kinds, fresh, frozen or canned.

Wal Mart also sells a good protein shake - it's a large container for around $15 - I've had chocolate and strawberry and usually mix with ice and milk. I've also thrown fruit in to add flavor, but that will add carbs too.
  • KMill84
    KMill84 Posts: 12
    Options
    My recommendation for a protein powder is Optimum Nutrition. I've tried a lot of different ones and ON tastes way better! I make a shake in the mornings that keeps me satisfied til first break.
    Morning Shake: 1.5 scoops ON choc protein powder, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon Jif Natural PB, and some honey. Blend it well then add some ice and blend again, if you want.
    Its okay to limit your carbs but make sure you're getting them in before and after your workouts. Also, the more cardio you do, the more carbs your body needs.

also, i'll never buy supplements from GNC. somebody else mentioned bodybuilding.com earlier, research then shop all on one site. Can't beat their prices!! GNC is usually pushing certain products that most people don't need. Plus I've never been to one where the associate wasn't hopped up on stimulants and/or didn't know jack squat about the products except for the info on the container.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    All grains are also seeds. Plant a kernel of corn and you will get a plant!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    All grains are also seeds. Plant a kernel of corn and you will get a plant!

No grains are part of the grass family and Quinoa is not part of that family. Quinoa is actually part of the same family as spinach.

Corn contains seeds, it is not a seed. Same for wheat, barley, etc.