5k training

Options
Is it ok to run a 5 k everyone day in a week??? We have a 5k coming up in April and I didn't want to hurt myself.

Replies

• serabee5
    serabee5 Posts: 89
    Options
    I have been working toward the same goal and asked a personal trainer friend of mine.
    She referred me to this site for safe training.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html
  • swiss31
    swiss31 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well! hope we get some good advice
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what you're asking, but if you're thinking of running a 5k, I say go for it! I usually only train (for running) 3-4 days per week. Cross training on the other days helps increase my strength and stamina. If it's your first, start out slowly. You may need to walk some of it, and don't be hard on yourself. I also recommend the C25K program, it really works!!!

Good luck!
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    I just downloaded a app for my iphone C25K. I'm going to start it tomorrow. I've done 5ks before but I've walked half. I really want to run the next one. Good luck to you! Your loss is wonderful. Keep up the great work.:bigsmile:
  • LewisBirchenough
    Options
    Doing a 5k every day of the week equals just under 22 miles per week. That's not particularly high for a 'serious' runner, but is quite a lot for someone starting out. If you're regularly running that kind of weekly milage already then it's okay, but if not, you're risking an injury. It's best to increase milage gradually. Also, it's important to have some days off to allow your body to recover. Recovery days are just as important as training days.

Good luck with the 5k.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yes, It is OK to do BUT It's still good to throw in a recovery day-off every week to help your muscles recover. This also helps w/increase your speed. It's also good to take a recovery day before a race day.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I too am training for a 5k. Currently on Week#4/5 I would not recommend running every day. I run every other day and on my non running days I do resistance training.
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    Doing a 5k every day of the week equals just under 22 miles per week. That's not particularly high for a 'serious' runner, but is quite a lot for someone starting out. If you're regularly running that kind of weekly milage already then it's okay, but if not, you're risking an injury. It's best to increase milage gradually. Also, it's important to have some days off to allow your body to recover. Recovery days are just as important as training days.

Good luck with the 5k.
    I agree!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My running coach tells me not to train every day...train 3 days/week and do weight or strength training 3 days/week alternating days, then take the 7th day off.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And she also told me not to try and "make up a day" if I miss a day...it's dangerous and unhealthy to over-train. If you miss a day, brush it off and start back up where you left off.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just finished P90X and am doing Insanity, I only run 1 day per week and am training for a 12K. I haven't ran in 3 weeks and ran a 5K today at my best time ever. So if you are asking about training with only 1 day per week, if you are doing other things, I think you'd be fine. If you are ONLY running, I'd say no - minimum 3 days per week IMO.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify from my earlier statement. If you've already ran a 5K and have been running for awhile then run as often as you like. Marathon runners run more than 3x a week at a lot farther distances. BUT, if you're just learning to run a 5K then I agree w/the trainers and C25K, only run 3 days a week w/off days in between.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I try to run at least 3 miles at least once a week, and it hasn't hindered me any. I'm still pretty much a newbie to running (started last September), but so far so good for me.