I have lost 30 lbs and I don't feel it at all!

Options
So I have lost 30 lbs and I so don't look in the mirror and see any difference! When will I start to see and feel it? Other people seem to see it or at least they say that they do but I don't! Has anyone else went through this and at what point did you start to see the results! I know that I have went down a clothes size and that felt great but I can't SEE it!!!! I just want to see the results I have worked so hard for! Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    did you take measurements & before pictures?

I started "feeling it" and seeing it at 9 pounds lost...
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    wow...sounds like my same issue...i've lost about 30 lbs and i cant see the difference...my mom and friends say they can tell but when i look in the mirror i cant see...its kinda saddening...cuz i thought it would be seen more...oh well we keep pushing through!!!
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    Did you take a before picture? It's really difficult to see the change in the mirror because we see ourselves everyday and it's a gradual change. Doing a before, during, and after pic will be easier to tell. Congrats on 30 pounds, that's awesome!!!!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Im sorry i cant provide any advice but im glad you posted this. i feel the SAME way and posted the same thing earlier this week. i have only lost 21 lbs so not as many as you but i still feel disgusted when i look in the mirror and cant see a difference. i havent even dropped a pants size yet! thats the part i really dont get! when should this happen? other people have told me they see a difference, but i think its only because they know ive been dieting and want to encourage me. the only thing i can suggest (if you feel comfortable with it) is post before/after pics and let us see the difference. hearing it from others might help??!! just know that you are doing great and will see the results soon! good luck on your journey!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You are not going to 'see it' when you look at yourself every day. People tell me that I look thinner, but I barely 'see it'. Take some pictures. Compare them every month take new ones. You will start seeing it.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Im sorry i cant provide any advice but im glad you posted this. i feel the SAME way and posted the same thing earlier this week. i have only lost 21 lbs so not as many as you but i still feel disgusted when i look in the mirror and cant see a difference. i havent even dropped a pants size yet! thats the part i really dont get! when should this happen? other people have told me they see a difference, but i think its only because they know ive been dieting and want to encourage me. the only thing i can suggest (if you feel comfortable with it) is post before/after pics and let us see the difference. hearing it from others might help??!! just know that you are doing great and will see the results soon! good luck on your journey!
    Even though you haven't dropped a pant size, i'm betting your clothes fit a lot better. It took 20 pounds for me to lose a pant size and i'm in the smaller sizes, so don't give up.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss! That's great.

We all have an image of ourselves burned into our brain and it takes a while to adjust that image. Some of us never really see ourselves clearly. My image of me is Sean Connery as James bond ;-) Anyway. You have already seen the evidence in the sizr change. You will be more impressed with the physical changes as you continue to lose. This is a long distance race not a sprint. Don't lose faith. Keep plugging away.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm at 43 lbs lost and sometimes have problems seeing it, too. Here's what my husband does, when I'm doubting my progress:

Take a couple of shopping bags and fill them full of rice, flour, hand weights ... until the weight in the bags totals the amount you've lost. Now, walk around the house while carrying the bags. It feels like so much! And you just have to remind yourself that you're no longer carrying that around with you.

Whenever I'm feeling down, my husband always says, "Should I get out the bags?"

That's just my tip. Congrats on the 30 lbs! You're doing great!
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have taken before and after pictures! I still can't see it! I just see how over weight I still am! Everyone else trys to show me what they see but I just see the same thing! I just don't understand how I don't see it! It is really discouraging. I know I weigh 30 lbs less and that my clothes size is less (which just happened 2 weeks ago) but I feel like I am seeing the same person looking at me in the mirror and the pictures!
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. =/ It sucks, but it'll come. I've noticed the people who can see it after 20 or so pounds are the ones who don't have much to lose. All we can do it keep pushing!! We'll notice it soon enough!
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I know it is a long race still ahead of me! I just wish I could get there quicker :)
    Congratulations on the loss! That's great.

We all have an image of ourselves burned into our brain and it takes a while to adjust that image. Some of us never really see ourselves clearly. My image of me is Sean Connery as James bond ;-) Anyway. You have already seen the evidence in the sizr change. You will be more impressed with the physical changes as you continue to lose. This is a long distance race not a sprint. Don't lose faith. Keep plugging away.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I totally get where youre coming from, similar starting weight and I know i've dropped a size or 2 in trousers I just couldnt really see it when I was 33lbs down. I have no full length pics (no way on this earth!!!!) but I did have a face shot taken just before starting and then I took another a couple of weeks ago...very very noticeable in my face! You see yourself everyday so you wont notice it unless you have a picture to look back on...if you dont have a pic take one...now!

I will say the last 10lbs i've lost i have really seen the difference, caught my reflection in my window a couple of days ago and my hips sooooo much slimmer.

You will see it soon and hopefully you'll have a "whoa! is that my bum/hips/start of a waist" moment like i did,

Well done on your 30lbs BTW

EDIT. If you want you can put your before and now pics up and let us tell you where we see it most.
  • stolliver25
    Options
    I agree with what some other people have said. Your not going to see because you see yourself every day. But other people will definitely notice.....which should make you feel great anyway!!! That is praise for all your hard work. Take pictures, do measurements and just remember that the weight is coming off....maybe not in the places you want it but thats just how the body works. Feel good about you accomplishments and all your hard work....keep it up!!!
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    THANK YOU! I love the shopping bag things! That is not only funny but I can understand how it would help to be able to feel the difference! I will so try this!
    I'm at 43 lbs lost and sometimes have problems seeing it, too. Here's what my husband does, when I'm doubting my progress:

Take a couple of shopping bags and fill them full of rice, flour, hand weights ... until the weight in the bags totals the amount you've lost. Now, walk around the house while carrying the bags. It feels like so much! And you just have to remind yourself that you're no longer carrying that around with you.

Whenever I'm feeling down, my husband always says, "Should I get out the bags?"

That's just my tip. Congrats on the 30 lbs! You're doing great!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't see it in the mirror...but I have always felt I looked like a hippo in the mirror anyway. Sorry...I am sure you can tell I don't have much self-esteem:frown: My pants and undergarments are getting baggy and my friends and family say they can tell. However, I don't notice it yet. I'm with you...I am ready to start seeing results in the mirror.
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    I didn't see a difference for about 20 pounds I guess. You see yourself in the mirror all the time and seeing the change before it's a huge change is hard.
  • Chirrup
    Chirrup Posts: 7
    Options
    I had kind of the same problem when I lost 50 lbs in 4 months on a liquid diet ("Oprah's Liquid Diet") years ago. I could feel I was taking up less space in the world but I could not see it in the mirror. What worked for me was that I stood in front of a paneled door in our house and had my husband take a Polaroid picture (now it would be digital, of course) of me on the same spot on the same day each week. Putting the pix side-by-side and studying them, I could finally see the progression of weight loss. Otherwise, I had no idea what I looked like. When we were out at the mall, I'd ask my hubby to point out women who looked the same size as me -- a tricky task for him, bless his heart! When I'd go to buy new clothes, I always brought the wrong sizes into the dressing room (usually too big). Hang in there ... 30 lbs. is a LOT and you are doing a great job!!! Try taking pix once a week and see if that works for you.
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. =/ It sucks, but it'll come. I've noticed the people who can see it after 20 or so pounds are the ones who don't have much to lose. All we can do it keep pushing!! We'll notice it soon enough!

I think that is probably too true! If I only had 30 lbs to lose I would truely see it! :) Thank you! And Good luck!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Honey, I went through the EXACT same thing. Most of it is mental, I think. We see ourselves as we were not as we are. At about 25 pounds lost I felt like a failure because I didn't feel I had lost alot of weight. My pants were falling off and I was getting compliments but I just couldn't "see" it. I wasn't great about taking pics, but I did have a few. I lined them up side by side and saw that my before made me look like I was pregnant! No wonder my pants were falling off. I still have long way to go. I had to learn that the changes are gradual and we don't see it. Take plent of pictures in the same clothes and you will start seeing the difference.
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    I totally get where youre coming from, similar starting weight and I know i've dropped a size or 2 in trousers I just couldnt really see it when I was 33lbs down. I have no full length pics (no way on this earth!!!!) but I did have a face shot taken just before starting and then I took another a couple of weeks ago...very very noticeable in my face! You see yourself everyday so you wont notice it unless you have a picture to look back on...if you dont have a pic take one...now!

I will say the last 10lbs i've lost i have really seen the difference, caught my reflection in my window a couple of days ago and my hips sooooo much slimmer.

You will see it soon and hopefully you'll have a "whoa! is that my bum/hips/start of a waist" moment like i did,

Well done on your 30lbs BTW

EDIT. If you want you can put your before and now pics up and let us tell you where we see it most.

THANK YOU! You just truel y gave me some inspiration! There are times when i don't see it that I just want to quit! People like you keep me going! Hopefully you are right and I will see it soon!