Restaurants

Options
I love going to restaurants as well as anyone but have been avoiding them lately due to the food not being so "diet friendly."

What are your favorite restaurants?
What do you order? Is it healthy?

Replies

• penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For fast food Subway, I love their Veggie Delight on flat bread.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    it's all around hard and the main reason is sodium. I love subway, but if you look at their nutrition facts...the bread no matter what is high in sodium. but it is a healthier option then most. just gotta be mindful. If you can get fresh salads at a place I'd do it. and probably shrimp not breaded.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When in doubt...I usually opt for a salad that's made with romaine lettuce/spinach leaves. No croutons, please. :happy:
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My favorite restaurants are generally local ones that don't have nutritional info. I typically order some kind of chicken sandwich or wrap, and take half home for another meal. Not the most diet friendly, I suppose, but it could be a lot worse, and I don't feel deprived. I pretty much always avoid the appetizers. My hubby usually will get a side salad and he gives me his tomatoes and cucumber because he does like them. Sometimes he gets french onion soup and I just have a taste. I usually get one beer, and then switch to water.

Everyone is different, but I just can't go out to a restaurant and order something that's twice the price for half as much, or something isn't going to be a real treat. Today a had a beef tenderloin sandwich with peppers and onions...it was probably one of the best sandwiches I have ever had in my life. I ate half, and will have the other half tomorrow. Oh - I generally find leftovers taste better when warmed up in the toaster over, rather than the microwave.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i always go for grilled chicken breast, and steamed veggies - no butter. you can get it at almost any restaurant!

Edit: My dinner on Friday night was 494 calories, minus 220 for the 2 beers i had with it :)
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In Atlanta we have some awesome restaurants. Since I only eat about 4oz at a time I eat what ever I want and take the rest home for a later meal or leave it for my son to have.
    I love the cheesecake factory, Maggiano's, Chops, Atlanta Fish Market, Food 101,Murphy's.. and SOO many more.
    Being a Chef and a foodie I like going and trying out all the local restaurants in my area.
    I dont care for franchise chain restaurants , I like to give service to the local eateries b/c that is how they make a living just like ME
  • fabdivac
    fabdivac Posts: 11
    Options
    I love the greek and meditterian foods, like shawrma, fattosh salad, hommus etc. Not sure if its low cal but its very good, here there is LaShish or Grape Leaves. Maybe try to find something similar in your area.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    I just tried Applebee's under 550 calories menu today and had the grilled chicken with portabello mushrooms! I've been disappointed with their healthier options in the past, but this one was delicious! Potatoes, veggies, and chicken with CHEESE :D This one was 450 calories!
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have the found the most helpful thing to do is google the sites for your favorite chains and look at the nutritional info so when you do go you can make an informed decision. Right now I am in love with Quizno's Baja Chicken small sub on wheat... :happy: And alot of places are starting to add "lite" options or "diet" menus...I think Applebee's has a light menu...IHOP has the IHOP for me section...just shop around for some good places when you have plans to go out :)
  • chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Applebee's Teriyaki Shrimp Pasta that's also on their low calorie menu. The sodium is what kills it lol Still tastes delicious though :)
  • Georgie_P
    Georgie_P Posts: 62
    Options
    The skinny greek salad at islands is my fav...at only 320 calories i get my restaurant fix
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Well seeing how my boyfriend does nothing but eat out. I have to make what I consider wise decisions. Not all healthy no but usually what fits into my calorie allowance.

When we go to Chili's I either get the guiltless grill chicken sandwich no mayo with half a bun. Also at Chili's not a lot of people like it but I get the Carribbean Salad with the grilled chicken or shrimp sometimes. (One the days I have had low sodium days of course) Carino's I get the soup eat half of the bowl and put the rest to go then get the artichoke pasta eat half of that as well. Red Lobster I get the fish broiled with no butter and a salad dressing on the side. Eat half of those and enjoy one biscuit :) We also eat wings I get 10 original hot wings and a salad with dressing on the side. We get chinese take out a lot. I order the "diet dishes" which I asked and are cooked in broth. I get the chicken with vegetables or scallops and shrimp with vegetables. Those come served with white rice. I only eat half because there is so much food!!

For fast food I get arby's salads with no cheese or bacon they taste yummy for a fast food place. I also could get a regular roast beef and a small fry with an iced tea. Subway I get the oven roasted chicken breast no cheese with lettuce, tomato, spinach, green peppers, mustard. Panda express I get the mushroom chicken with veggies and its under 350 calories. Of course I eat the fortune cookie for an additional 35 lol

Well you get the point. We eat out a lot so I have had time to select different things to my liking!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Well seeing how my boyfriend does nothing but eat out. I have to make what I consider wise decisions. Not all healthy no but usually what fits into my calorie allowance.

When we go to Chili's I either get the guiltless grill chicken sandwich no mayo with half a bun. Also at Chili's not a lot of people like it but I get the Carribbean Salad with the grilled chicken or shrimp sometimes. (One the days I have had low sodium days of course) Carino's I get the soup eat half of the bowl and put the rest to go then get the artichoke pasta eat half of that as well. Red Lobster I get the fish broiled with no butter and a salad dressing on the side. Eat half of those and enjoy one biscuit :) We also eat wings I get 10 original hot wings and a salad with dressing on the side. We get chinese take out a lot. I order the "diet dishes" which I asked and are cooked in broth. I get the chicken with vegetables or scallops and shrimp with vegetables. Those come served with white rice. I only eat half because there is so much food!!

For fast food I get arby's salads with no cheese or bacon they taste yummy for a fast food place. I also could get a regular roast beef and a small fry with an iced tea. Subway I get the oven roasted chicken breast no cheese with lettuce, tomato, spinach, green peppers, mustard. Panda express I get the mushroom chicken with veggies and its under 350 calories. Of course I eat the fortune cookie for an additional 35 lol

Well you get the point. We eat out a lot so I have had time to select different things to my liking!

I LOVE LOVE Chilis Caribbean Shrimp Salad...& I always get the dressing on the side. Which saves a ton of sodium and about 200 calories. If anything I might dip one or two bites of the salad in there
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Red Robins- grilled hamburger in lettuce wrap
    Subway- Salad with grilled chicken and tons of veggies
    Wendys- I take a grilled chicken go wrap (no sauce or cheese), remove the chicken and put it on a side salad. Saves money, carbs and I don't have to deal with gross blue cheese or bacon
    McDonalds- grilled chicken salad minus the cheese
    Wendys- small chili and side salad
    Burger king- kids sized hamburger with no cheese
    Applebees- anything on weight watchers or 550 under category. Replace potatoes and fries with steamed veggies
    Fazolis- Kid sized anything
    Friendlys- Grilled chicken salad minus cheese and dressing with small cone of sugar free frozen yogurt
    KFC- grilled chicken breast with green beans
    Taco Bell- 2 hard tacos on drive thru diet (sometimes I just eat the meat and lettuce, minus the shell)

Good luck! I am probably forgetting some major restaurants, so let me know if you need healthy foods anywhere else! :smile:
  • Kristeng17
    Options
    Find places that you can modify what you want to eat. Going to their website for nutrional facts before giong is always a good idea. Most places have entrees that are twice the size you should be eating. Order something that you can take part of it home. Ask for no butter, light or no seasoning. Salmon and shrimp are always a good choice, just be aware of what they are cooked with. Be careful with salads too. I have worked in the restaurant business for over 10 years so I ask a lot of questions if I don't know the menu well.
    One of my favorite places is Longhorn Steakhouse. There Salmon is awesome! But if you are worried about sodium don't get the rice with it. But you can order things without butter, seasonings, etc. And you can go to there website and see the nutritional facts. Be careful on here though. A lot of the things on here with restuarants are not correct. I have found in a lot of the restaurant info the portion sizes are wrong and they don't list everything.

Good luck!
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Friendlys-

ARGH OMG I loved Friendlys when I was on holiday in America!! Good memories :):)
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Seasons 52. Everything on their menu is 475 calories or less.