Weight Gain on Weekends

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced what I have...I usually lose around 4 lbs per week if I stick to my goals, and on the weekends, I like to cheat a little ;) I realize that I may gain a little more weight by doing this, but not the 4 lbs that I lost and then some! This weekend, I've gained 6 lbs! And I'm not even increasing my caloric intake that much! Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My friend and I were both just talking about the same thing! Usually we weigh in on Fridays and then we all seem to celebrate or weightloss with food!! Its crazy. Although I am like you, I try to keep it relatively healthy, just, a bit more than I would have during the week. I also try to workout more during the weekend because I know there will be drinks and eating out etc. I am toying with the idea of changing my weigh-in day to Monday, just so I'll be a little more well-behaved on the weekends.

Its tough avoiding calories on the weekend. I enjoy socializing even more now that I feel more confident in my clothes!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? It could be water weight, especially if you're eating foods that are high in sodium. Just about anything you order from a restaurant has boatloads of sodium.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? It could be water weight, especially if you're eating foods that are high in sodium. Just about anything you order from a restaurant has boatloads of sodium.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Can't see your diary so unless you tell us, can't be much more help. Are you still working out/drinking water?
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    what your eating may contain high sodium. This is the problem I am having.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Six pounds of fat would be around 21000 calories. Unless You're doing some serious chowing down on weekends, it's just water weight. Of course, if you're losing 4 pounds a week, you're probably losing mostly water weight as well.
  • Elise1395
    Elise1395 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My friend and I were both just talking about the same thing! Usually we weigh in on Fridays and then we all seem to celebrate or weightloss with food!! Its crazy. Although I am like you, I try to keep it relatively healthy, just, a bit more than I would have during the week. I also try to workout more during the weekend because I know there will be drinks and eating out etc. I am toying with the idea of changing my weigh-in day to Monday, just so I'll be a little more well-behaved on the weekends.

Its tough avoiding calories on the weekend. I enjoy socializing even more now that I feel more confident in my clothes!!

Haha, sounds just like me! Thanks for the good ideas! I like the one about weighing yourself on Monday instead.
  • Elise1395
    Options

I just looked back at my food diary and realized that I DID take in a lot of sodium. Most of it came from those Lean Cuisine meals! I'm definitely going to take those out of my diet now!
  • chicabean420
    Options
    weighing yourself on Monday won't fix the water weight gain though....
  • Elise1395
    Options
    That's true...I'm definitely going to pay more attention to my sodium intake and cut out frozen meals. Even though they're handy to have, they're really just empty calories with tons of salt. Goodbye, Lean Cuisine!
  • Elise1395
    Options
    Also, when you first start MFP, is the initial weight loss you have mostly water weight? Is this the case in any diet you begin? It seems like I've heard this somewhere before.
  • chicabean420
    Options
    Yeah I found that. Your body is adjusting :) Thanks for adding me as a friend! Hopefully I can help ya out! Can't see your diary, might have to change your settings :)
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This has been my major problem since I've begun again in January. It seems every weekend, we're celebrating a birthday or something.

First there was my son's hockey tournament where we spent 4 days out of town (had to eat at restaurants, with the team, etc., - made good choices, but still didn't exactly do as well as I do at home), then it was my husband's birthday at the start of February (out to dinner to celebrate), my father-in-law's a week later was better (but I still had champagne to mark his 70th), then it was my sister's birthday (we had Greek food) and then this week it was my birthday (out to dinner with friends on Tuesday, with family on Thursday and with my mom and sis last night).

Thankfully, until Easter at least, we should have nothing. In the end, I'm not that disappointed because life happens and I do have to adjust to it since I'm trying to save my own life. :)