CPAP users / those with sleep apnea

Options
I have a CPAP machine I use for sleep apnea. Admittedly, I don't use it all night every night like I should. I have read that getting enough "good" sleep helps weight loss. It seems like those weeks when I have been using my CPAP fairly consistently I notice a bigger loss than on the weeks I don't. Just curious whether others have had any experience with this. Maybe this is the motivation I need to follow doctor's orders in this area :blushing:

Cathy

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hey lady - my husband uses a CPAP and his life and health have improved greatly since he started. I recommend using it every night, it's worth it. Feel free to msg me if you want to discuss further. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a CPAP machine I use for sleep apnea. Admittedly, I don't use it all night every night like I should. I have read that getting enough "good" sleep helps weight loss. It seems like those weeks when I have been using my CPAP fairly consistently I notice a bigger loss than on the weeks I don't. Just curious whether others have had any experience with this. Maybe this is the motivation I need to follow doctor's orders in this area :blushing:

Cathy

I don't have sleep apnea but my mother does. Her CPAP has made a huge difference! She has more energy, thinks more clearly, has less pain, is less depressed, no longer falls asleep while driving(!), etc. It's also extremely important in controlling her stroke risk (she had two before she got the CPAP, one of which she didn't even know about until she was getting the workup for the 2nd stroke).

I can't urge you strongly enough to work out whatever issue is keeping you from using the CPAP. There are so many options now for face masks, pressure and hydration levels that many issues can be resolved or at least dramatically improved. Hope you can sort yours out!
  • cookiegeorge
    Options
    Cathy do you sometimes take off your mask and don't even know it? That happens to me! The mask is off, the machine is turned off and I have no recollection of removing it at all! I do feel better when I use it. Sometimes I fall asleep without it, wake up in the middle of the night and just roll over. I'm going to try to use it all the time now. Thanks!
    Cookie
    565005.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • carolyne2
    carolyne2 Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't have any problems sleeping normally but must admit that the nights I have "good sleep" and plenty of it, I fare better the next day at being in control of my eating. If I am tired, then forget it, no matter how hard I try I just want to eat and eat when I am overtired. So based on my experience - sleep definately helps with the weight loss regime.
  • kateland47
    kateland47 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use a CPAP as well. Using it has made a huge difference in my energy level. Having the energy helps power your motivation. I have found that the days that I haven't used the CPAP, I feel listless and unfocused. It totally makes sense that you would do better on the days that you wake up feeling fully refreshed.
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes Cookie, I take it off in the night without even realizing I have done it. At least not until hubby wakes me up because I'm snoring or the machine is noisy because I didn't turn it off. My brother says he wouldnt' be without his but I don't notice that much difference in how I feel when I wear it all night or take it off part way through. Maybe that is part of my problem with taking it off. My machine is set at a very low setting so the pressure isn't a problem for me. I either fall asleep before putting the mask on or take it off in the night.

Thanks again!
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been on CPAP therapy for over a year now and I can't tell you the difference that it makes.

In regard to your specific question about weight loss, absolutely! If you don't rest well at night, you don't have as much energy during the day. You don't move as much just because you are groggy and tired. This reduces the numer of calories you burn during a regular day. On top of that, if you don't rest well at night, you won't have the engergy to do your exercise routine and again you won't burn as many calories.

If you keep accidentally removing it at night, talk to your doctor or respiratory therapist. This is a common problem and there are a wide range of options to help your mask stay on better.
  • cjsmom01
    cjsmom01 Posts: 2
    Options
    i will be getting my cpap machine soon. not so sure that it will work but am hoping. i'm tired of being tired. my husband and kids are always wondering why all i want to do is sleep. sometimes i could just fall asleep at my desk at work. i was told that i have moderate sleep apnea. the air pressure will be set at 6. so what can i expect and how long does it usually take to feel the effects of a better nights sleep? i need to loose about 50 lbs and am hoping that this will be the first step into being able to loose the weight. any suggestions/comments will be welcomed and very appreciated.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    i will be getting my cpap machine soon. not so sure that it will work but am hoping. i'm tired of being tired. my husband and kids are always wondering why all i want to do is sleep. sometimes i could just fall asleep at my desk at work. i was told that i have moderate sleep apnea. the air pressure will be set at 6. so what can i expect and how long does it usually take to feel the effects of a better nights sleep? i need to loose about 50 lbs and am hoping that this will be the first step into being able to loose the weight. any suggestions/comments will be welcomed and very appreciated.

My mom felt the difference even in the sleep study she had to do to get the CPAP! She had her second stroke in the month between the sleep study and getting her CPAP delivered. :(

I'd think you'd begin to feel it in less than a week, honestly.

If you can get a CPAP with a data card, that's helpful as it will not only record how often you used it , but also whether it was working well or leaking. Report ANY complaints to your rep for the machine. My mom had some problems with hers at first and they switched out her mask and changed the humidity level, which solved all her problems. So if you are having trouble, SPEAK UP! They can resolve most issues within 24 hours--it's amazing!

Good luck!
  • cjsmom01
    cjsmom01 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for the info. i did see on the script for the machine that the dr ordered the card. so i'm hoping it works. thanks again
  • Atlantique
    Options
    thanks for the info. i did see on the script for the machine that the dr ordered the card. so i'm hoping it works. thanks again

I hope this works out for you--and it should! It was a life-changer for my mom, and I am not exaggerating.

Also, the mask is only good for about 6 months. They never told my mom this. She started having problems zround 7 months, called the rep and they told her she was overdue for replacing her mask and that was the issue. So you may want to mark your calendar to order a replacement mask at 5 months or so, so you have it in time.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at what a difference your CPA will make for you! My mom is now the poster child for CPAP-she uses it all night, every night and has for over a year now.

There are also online support groups for this. My mom is widowed, so the social issues of the CPAP aren't a big worry for her. She sleeps alone. But the social issues can really hinder some folks' desire to use the CPAP. You'll get a lot of good advice and support in the online CPAP forums though--I joined them when my mom got hers and got some good tips!