So I got in trouble today in spin...opinions?

Options
Sooo, sometimes in spin class I use my ipod because the music the instructor chooses just isn't upbeat or interesting enough. Case in point, this morning the teacher was playing music that they play CONSTANTLY on the radio, you know, those songs they play over and over and over and over..... It's just not what I like to workout to. I know people have their own taste in music, and that's fine. I still follow the instructor for the most part, but I've been doing spinning for so long, I'd like to think I know what I'm doing. I wear my heart rate monitor and like to keep my heart rate at a certain percentage and if the music isn't doing it for me I get my ipod out. The teacher had this long schpiel about how the instructors are trained and pay a lot of money to be trained to teach this class and that the people should do what they say and not go off on their own. If we want to hear our own music then we should do it on our own time. Well, in my defense I couldn't get the spinning workout in before the step class I wanted to take, so I had to take her boring class. It is my workout, not hers. I can understand why she may have been a bit upset, but this isn't the first time I've used an ipod in her class, maybe most people would read that sign differently, like maybe she should switch it up a bit......it's going to bug me all day....whatever. I had a great workout, everyone looked bored. Another girl I spoke to after agrees with me....she's not that great of a teacher and it's my workout. Am I right here? Or just totally a rude person...

Replies

• MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Great that the instructor is getting paid, but guess where she's getting her money from. You the member who is taking her class. She should take this as an opportunity to get some feedback from the members taking the class. Obviously not everyone is happy, so get some feedback. Changing up the music shouldn't be taken as a personal attack on her.

Plus you're paying money to be there, and if you aren't disrupting other people in the class, who cares.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I think your exactly right...why does she care what you do..ur in class and getting a workout! lol She must be a person that HAS to be in control or she loses it. I personally would take my own music also...i hate what other instructors "think" you should be listening to. I have to be motivated by my music...and half the time..their music isnt motivating at all.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At the spin classes I've been to the instructor realizes that the participants in the class are all at different place fitness wise so fully expects that we're not all going to be doing just what they say when they say it, and if we're not 'able' to do their moves we're supposed to do what we're comfortable with, so you were entirely within your rights, it's your gym membership, your workout etc.
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    imho, it's your work out your $$$ you pay....
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think I want to teach this....I would love to get paid for something I do anyway.....I will take her place hahaha!!!
  • rlstogin
    rlstogin Posts: 6
    Options
    I say listen to what motivates you! Our spin instructor has motivating music so I don't even notice or get board! If she has a real problem with you, then she'll complain directly to you and then when she does...TELL HER how you feel and that there are others feeling the same way! OR tell the owners!
  • fairyjester
    Options
    i will take it down to the simplest she just needs to get over herself
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    She is paid a lot to be there, you PAY a lot to be there. Your workout, your choice.

TBH someone whose wages are paid by you shouldn't be so cheeky to a customer.
  • laugustine
    Options
    I don't think you are being rude, BUT if you are taking her class and you think she is boring, why are you taking it? Try and fit in your spin workout at a different time, if possible. It sounds like you know what you are doing on your own and prefer to do your own spin workout without needing her instruction, so I would recommend just not going to her class anymore even if it will interfere with your schedule.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Tell her you want a refund because her music sucks.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Hey, if her music choice isn't working out for you, then you gotta do you :happy: I don't think its a big deal to listen to your own music. How does she know that your music isn't low enough, that you can hear her voice. Sounds like she has control issues LOL
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think that is rude. Do you take other classes and do what you want instead of what the instructor does? Don't take the class if you don't like the music or instructor.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Honestly I can't believe she called u out like that. My best friend is a spinning instructor and she says she gets requests for songs all the time. It's not like ur taking the class for her DJ:ing skills..
    I think as long as u'r not disturbing anyone, who cares? Like u said, it's your workout. If someone would be booming on really loud music, disturbing the class, doing completely their own thing, then I would understand her reaction. And if nothing else, she should have at least had the Curtice to talk to u in private after the class was over. So unprofessional.
  • johngeorgimus
    johngeorgimus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go to two different spin classes, 1 on a Saturday and 1 on Thursday. I always get a better workout with the Saturday one who always plays great music. The Thursday one is boring and always feels like a real effort.

Music can make or break a class.

Goodluck

x John
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I think I want to teach this....I would love to get paid for something I do anyway.....I will take her place hahaha!!!

I'm taking my spin certification next month! Go to this website to look into it. I'm a total spin addict!
    http://www.spinning.com/spinning-instructors/become-an-instructor.asp

Music makes the class in my opinion. I can't stand to be in a class where the music is terrible. Guess you won't be going back to her class! Haha.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think that is rude. Do you take other classes and do what you want instead of what the instructor does? Don't take the class if you don't like the music or instructor.

In my op I said that the reason I took her class is because the step class comes right after, I needed to be done today by 10am, but yeah, we all have free will. Spin is not like other classes where what the instructor is saying has that great of an impact on your workout, especially if you've been doing it for many years. I would never go to any other class and do my own thing, for obvious reasons....@johngeorgimus, yeah, music can make or break a class....
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options

I'm taking my spin certification next month! Go to this website to look into it.
    http://www.spinning.com/spinning-instructors/become-an-instructor.asp

Music makes the class in my opinion. I can't stand to be in a class where the music is terrible. Guess you won't be going back to her class! Haha.

Hence my advice - tell her you want a refund because her music sucks :smile:
  • krd82
    krd82 Posts: 53
    Options
    Maybe get a group of ladies and complain to the manager?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    mho..
    if you are in her class you follow her and her music.
    Don't like her? don't like her class? don't like her music?

do as she said and do it on your own.

i can see where you doing your own thing and listening to your own music in her class could lead to others thinking is fine for them to all do their own thing more or less as well.. then comes the problem where how much 'own thing' can be allowed or not.. and that is too difficult to determine..and ultimately can be disruptive.

sorry. while the teacher, class and music may be boring, i don't think it is 'ok' to do your own thing in the class. (speaking as a former adult instructor), i even asked others in my household what their opinion was... and they agreed, don't do your own thing in a class, save that for when you are spinning on your own.

edited to add: if enough people decide to not take her class and switch to other instructors, management will get the message that perhaps that instructor needs make some changes.
  • jnaijr444
    Options
    Uhhhm its not like you are singing loud and obnoxiously to your music ...... If you are not being disruptive to others by wearing the ipod, then she basically should focus on teaching and not chasting you..... Spin to your own beat!

Next time she has something to say ask, "May I speak to your manager please!" LOL and if she is the manager say, "I'd like a refund!" the service was not up to par and ask for the name of the organization where she is certified and or licesned. She will change her tune I bet.

Its Customer service 101... as in you are the customer and she is there soley to provide you and the others a service that you want to pay for.