The mathematical equation to losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are eating protein and doing strength training as well as cardio, you can actually BUILD muscle while you are losing fat.

It's difficult to build muscle period and next to impossible while you're eating at a calorie deficit. It takes an excess of calories plus a significant amount of protein to build muscle. When you have a calorie deficit all you will do is gain strength, not actual muscle tissue.

I don't really need to build any more muscle tissue, I just mentioned that for general purposes. I have plenty of muscle mass as it is. I DON'T want to look like a body builder. The muscle I have now is fine, just working on toning it. Gaining strength isn't exactly what I'm after either, although it wouldn't hurt for me to be a LITTLE stronger. All I really want is to take weight and gravitational pressure off my knees and ankle joints.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are eating protein and doing strength training as well as cardio, you can actually BUILD muscle while you are losing fat.

It's difficult to build muscle period and next to impossible while you're eating at a calorie deficit. It takes an excess of calories plus a significant amount of protein to build muscle. When you have a calorie deficit all you will do is gain strength, not actual muscle tissue.

I don't really need to build any more muscle tissue, I just mentioned that for general purposes. I have plenty of muscle mass as it is. I DON'T want to look like a body builder. The muscle I have now is fine, just working on toning it. Gaining strength isn't exactly what I'm after either, although it wouldn't hurt for me to be a LITTLE stronger. All I really want is to take weight and gravitational pressure off my knees and ankle joints.

And I was simply pointing out that your assertion was, for the most part, untrue. I wasn't offering a course of action for you.

Just so you know, women really don't become body builders without the help of serious supplements, legal or otherwise.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am totally confused. I have only been here doing this for two weeks. In my understanding of things from reading lots of views and opinions of people this is how I see it.. right or wrong. For me to just maintain my present body weight of 185lbs I am to X"s that by 16 (2960) and that is the number of calories I would have to consume each day to stay at that number...If over the week I consume more than 3500 calories I will gain a pound.. If I consume 3500 calories a week I will lose a pound. So for me to go from 2960 to 1200 calories a day that is 1760 calories a day less than it takes to maintain 185, and 1760X7=12,320 so I should lose a little over 2 lbs a week. So if I ate less than the 1200 by not eating my exercise calories, I think I would somewhere along the line get into trouble either by not being able to function very well or starvation mode