Success???

Options
deannar417
deannar417 Posts: 193 Member
Does anyone else out there feel like this is a much better website then facebook? I have to say I have personal friend on fb that I've known since I was a little kid and have tried and tried to get support for losing weight and got NOTHING. Thanks friends, :explode: However.....MFP has got me back on track and supported me so much that I've started a 30 day shred, walking, and now may start getting ready for a 5k (if I'm brave enough) But these are ppl on here I've never ever met in my life and they help me so much. I feel closer to a some of them then I have ever felt with my friends I live in the same town with. I dont even go to my facebook as much as I do this one. It's awesome. Thanks for all the support and getting me up off the big butt and doin somthing about it. :wink:

Replies

• deannar417
    Options
    Oh and I posted this on the success board because I feel it's a real success to me :love:
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    *LIKE* :D xx
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    th two sites are for two different things. it is like trying to move a ton of dirt on a bike. they both are great for what they are made for.
  • deannar417
    Options
    Yea I know they are different sites but my friends are friends and they should support me. I was just making a point that I was sooo happy to find this site and it give me great help to keep on moving. almost everyone on here has upbeat advice and care.
  • goldspaula
    goldspaula Posts: 161
    Options
    I used to have my stuff here automatically post to face book, but I could see that friends there were getting a little sick of hearing about my quest to lose weight so I cut that out in a hurry. I agree. They two sites are made for two different purposes. I spend way more time on MFP because we are all working and striving for the same thing. Birds of a feather and all that. I have never had as much success on a diet as this time on MFP because of the tools and support that are found here.

We love you and we will cheer you on here. Keep facebook to visit and play but keep coming here to work and get the results you are looking for in your quest for a healthier you.
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    You don't get the support for your weight loss journey from fb friends simply because they are usually not on that same journey. I keep my weight loss ambitions here only. Also I like the anonymity. You see, I'm a well-known tv personality, and none of my MFP peeps know it! Oops...I shouldn't have mentioned that! :embarassed:
  • Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    I have to agree with everything that has been said from everyone. I get so much support from here and it is so great to me.
  • Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    I have to agree with everything that has been said from everyone. I get so much support from here and it is so great to me.
  • deannar417
    Options
    Works for me.....I will keep it on here anyday. You guys are welcome to add me as a friend if you like. Up to you. I'm always up to finding new friends to help me and I help them.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I think the fact that the people on here are not my friends in real life helps...
    For 1 - the people at MFP haven't watched me struggle through the ugly part of being fat (bad attitide, negativity, anger, etc...) - they're seeing the determined me, the strong me, the happy me.

My friends at MFP can say things to me that no one who knows me in real life could get away with - because it would seem like a judgement coming from someone else... here on MFP - it's criticism, it's support, it's constructive,

My friends on FB don't all know that I'm trying to lose weight because I don't want everyone asking me, "How's it going?" or "Do you need ot eat that?"

I thought about linking my MFP account to my FB account for a nanosecond... then I had the thought that there are some things that I post on MFP that only someone who has 100+ pounds to lose could understand... I do not want everyone knowing my business,

I agree that MFP is a more productive site. I'm addicted to FB - but I come to MFP to feel stronger and better.

Glad that you've found a community that you love!
  • deannar417
    Options
    Thanks sonjavon........I seen where you can link the 2 sites and I thought......NO WAY. I have friends that I personally know on FB and they are trying to lose weight as well and I thought we would use that for supporting each other but they only want to post their good jobs. Not worry with any others. Oh well. i got this site that it's where I will be from now on. Thanks everyone.
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have a couple of people on facebook who would comment on my progress, but it wasn't until I started MFP that I found the real support I needed. I think it's because, no matter what your goals are, we are all in this together. I love the community and probably would have quit by now if it wasn't for this site. The success stories alone keep me going when I'm feeling a little lazy or down on myself.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    that stinks that your fb friends don't support you. I guess I never really realized how lucky I am to have my fb friends. I will post pics, update status and before I started the weight loss journey I would get 1 maybe 2 comments. Now with the weight loss thing and posting pics and statuses I get at least 10 or 15 encouraging comments. About 95% of my friends are people that I have had a regular conversation with. A few strangers, but not many.
  • cougs12
    cougs12 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have found that the friends i joined with aren't as supportive as the ones that i have made. and i only get on facebook when someone sends me messages anymore or to share pics with my family who don't see my kids.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    It is probably not that your friends don't want to support you Per Se. A lot of people have trouble supporting someone who is dieting or trying to get healthy because it forces them to look at themselves.(Even if they are skinny) It is much easier to ignore them or dismiss their FB posts because it is constantly in their face. I mean, think about it, A lot of people who have unhealthy habits have underlying issues that caused them to be that way. It is more then just "food or exercise". It took me a long time to get to the root or my food addiction and I still struggle with it. All you can do is make the occasional FB post and let others know that you are doing great and ask if anyone wants to do it with you but don't feel bad if they don't. This is about YOU, not them. The only person who can make you feel good or bad about yourself is you.
    I added you as a friend, I will support you. :) BTW if anyone else needs support too, add me.
    <3 this website.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I linked my MFP and FB sites...but only the exercise and weight loss updates. I leave my status updates for MFP here only. My FB friends and family have been extremely supportive. They "like" all my updates and comment on how well I'm doing. I figure, it's double the motivation. For me anyway.

Anyway, I'm definitely here on MFP way more than FB. I know everyone here knows what I'm going through and understand. I can say more about my struggles in my status updates here. Love that.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    There are several reasons why friends you think would offer support won't. Some have already been mentioned:

1) Jealousy - You are doing it and they aren't.

2) They realize that they should do it, but aren't ready and not supporting you is a defense mechanism.

3) They simply do not know what to say or don't want you to read their support as "fake."

For me, personally, I absolutely LOVE both of these web sites. (MFP and FB) I use them both so much throughout the day that it is a wonder I haven't crashed some servers yet. :laugh:

The only MFP or fitness related things I put on Facebook are my status updates that come right from my C25K App on my iPhone. Several family members "Like" those or post "Good Job." and what not.

But other than that, I try to keep any dieting stuff off of FB and on MFP, where I know it is appreciated. :happy:
  • brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find it that you get better support from people that have gone through or who are going through the weight lost journey. Those that have never been over weight themselves never truly understand what it is like to be over weight and the stigma that comes with it.

I don't bother connecting my status updates through face book for that reason. This site give a lot more support then my friends would gibe me.
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    :( SHAME ON YOUR "Real life" friends! Posting to FB and Twitter and getting all of the comments and "likes" is really what keeps me going!
    Depends a lot on your friends too, if a lot of them are bigger, they may be jealous of your success. You've worked hard for it, enjoy it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!