5k etiquette/tips?

Options
Hello all!

I have just signed up for my first 5k! I am pumped but nervous. Are there any good 5k tips that I could use? Things like road race etiquette, pacing tips, what to wear, what to expect, etc.

Thank you!

Replies

• amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    bump

running my first next Sunday & would like to hear the responses
  • stamy6
    stamy6 Posts: 27
    Options
    If you have time get your shoes fitted at a running store. Wear comfortable clothing. Hydrate before during and after.
    When walking move to the outsides of the lane.

Have fun! Go at your own pace!!
  • RissyKissy
    RissyKissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The biggest tip is to start in the pack based on where you really are time wise instead of where you think you are time wise. The times wont be posted for position but you can gadge where you fall. The worst is running around people that start in the front but are power walkers for example, it can also be a hazard. Also, if they allow strollers or dogs just stear clean of them. Wear what you usually workout in, weather permitting. You dont want to wear something different and be uncomfortable. Other than that, just get there in plenty of time to warm up, pick up your race packet the day before if they offer that, and eat a light but balanced breakfast a few hours before the start of the race. Hope that helps.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Wear Wicking fabric. Layers you can remove. Number goes in the front (most newbies think it goes in the back). Timing chip goes on you shoelace or get a chip ankle strap at your running store. Don't run it in new shoes. your not supposed to wear an iPod, but most do nowadays. Yes, you can throw the cup on the ground at the water station. They will clean them up. Have fun!
  • FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Use RunKeeper - Free Gadget for I phone or Android - great to set interval, distances and to keep track of your running. I love it !! You can download freely.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up! The others above gave some great advice. I've done a couple 5k's and the best advice I can give is eat something light before hand and make sure you have eaten it before you have run previously.

For example, if you usually eat oatmeal before you run, stick to oatmeal. I tried to eat eggs the other day with out 'test driving' it and felt sick the whole way.

Also, I usually wear something that is moisture wicking, not cotton. Cotton gets heavy with sweat and drives me crazy.
  • jara04
    jara04 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well, the things I'd recommend would be not to change your shoes, use the same ones you usually run in, the same applies for your clothing, wear things you've got running experience with. As far as pacing goes you will notice that you'll run faster thatn you're used to, that is completely normal so don't worry. Since it's such a short distance don't carblo-load or anything like that, eat how you're used to eating before you run. Have fun!!!!
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

I've done a 5 on the treadmill a few times, but never myself outside. I have a tendency to push myself to run faster when outside though, and my goal is to not walk at all this race. Thoughts or training tips?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I also suggest finding someone that is about on the same pace as you and run behind them on your first one. If you can find a map of the race and drive or walk it to see if it is flat or hilly.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Can you do a practice run on the course? If I have time, that's what I usually try to do.

You can see what your pace is for 1/2 mile, mile 1, mile 1.5, etc in your practice runs and make sure you are not over doing it the day of the race based on those times.

Your adrenaline (even if you are not trying to win a race) will be pumping and you will probably feel a surge of energy at the beginning. That energy may last you the whole race. My very first 8k, I felt that "high" the whole entire time.
  • estorve
    estorve Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good shoes but not brand new, stay on the right (just like driving), bring water and sunglasses, an mp3 player is a must.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    go to the bathroom before the race! drink coffee if you have to in order to do the number 2. SERIOUSLY! You don't want to have to do that in the middle of the race somewhere! All the running and excitement, seems to make it happen at all the wrong times!
    Good Luck! It is a very exciting time! Don't forget to enjoy the race and the scenery!
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    go to the bathroom before the race! drink coffee if you have to in order to do the number 2. SERIOUSLY! You don't want to have to do that in the middle of the race somewhere! All the running and excitement, seems to make it happen at all the wrong times!
    Good Luck! It is a very exciting time! Don't forget to enjoy the race and the scenery!

Or wear a Depends have fun with it.