I'm never going to lose this weight :'(

Options
I don't think I can do this anymore. I eat good for a few days, then I go over by 600 or 700 calories other days. I want to eat healthy, but I still make bad decisions. I know the consequences of choosing bad food, but I do it anyway. If I have a stressful day, like today, I eat tons of sugar. If I am craving a burger and fries, I get a burger and fries because nothing else sounds good but that. I can't seem to control myself, and then I put myself down for days!

I don't know what to do. I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 months. I still have 40 more pounds to lose.

I just need help. I feel like giving up.....

:cry:

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP...YOU CAN DO IT! A pastor once told me "the key to success is to stop doing what you know you shouldn't and start doing what you know you should." It's as simple as that...and you're the only thing standing in your way. Chin up, quit being so hard on yourself, and just do what you can. Any progress is better than nothing at all. Don't try to be perfect all at once. Set small goals and reward yourself for each goal reached.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Never give up! Never surrender! Strength must be derived from your desire to lose weight. If you lose desire, then you lose your strength to pursue it. Time to get back to basics and remind yourself why you want to lose it.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Girl, we all have bad days!
    Sometimes, you just have to chalk it up as that, and start over again tomorrow.

And next time you have cravings, try to keep something around that you can use as a swap. Maybe fat and sugar free frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, and veggie burger instead of a real one.

Just don't stay down on yourself! Losing weight and getting healthy isn't easy, and it's going to take some time, so patience and understanding for yourself can really go a long way! =)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It gets tough when you have a stressful day and your body sends you craving signals. You can always get the burger and fries, but choose to eat half instead of the whole thing. What is your calorie goal? It's possible you're not eating enough in the first place too. You might need to set your goal to 1lb a week instead of 2 to make it more realistic long-term.

*hugs*

Don't give up!
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No, you won't lose the weight with that attitude. Try to see some positives and remember that it takes 30 days to form a habit so just keep at it.

In the beginning I was horrible at tracking and going over my calories, now however I'm getting pretty good at it and manage to go over only by a hundred or so.

Keep at it, even for the bad days and just work to change why you're going over and keep trying to make good choices.
  • FWBP
    FWBP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you can do it. don't beat yourself up about those days you go over. think of it as a positive thing. When you have those days just think of it as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can enjoy life and lose weight at the same time. as long as most of your week is close to your goal, you'll get there.

i had that problem too, but now when i feel like eating something other than my healthy food, i'll just eat less of the bad food. you feel satisfied and in control.

good luck girlfriend!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It gets tough when you have a stressful day and your body sends you craving signals. You can always get the burger and fries, but choose to eat half instead of the whole thing. What is your calorie goal? It's possible you're not eating enough in the first place too. You might need to set your goal to 1lb a week instead of 2 to make it more realistic long-term.

*hugs*

Don't give up!

I wholeheartedly agree with this! I also have intense cravings for bad food almost daily. So instead of denying myself it (and being bitter and unhappy), just cut down on how MUCH of it you eat. Eat half instead! Now this doesn't work as an all-the-time thing, just for bad cravings. Seriously though, don't give up! We're all here trying to reach the same goal.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to be a personal trainer and I never fretted over what my clients ate. I worried about what they 'weren't' eating. Eating a well balanced diet over a period of time will reduce those cravings. Just give it time. It is a process. There are plenty of additives in those fast foods we love to make us love them. That is why it is addictive. Just concentrate on moving (exercise) and eating all the right foods, while you eat the other stuff. See if after you body has every thing it needs, if your cravings don't just fade away. I mean we're always going to love the foods we love. Heaven help you if you try to take my pasta. I just don't want pounds of it every other day anymore. You will get there. If this is a new journey for you don't be impatient with yourself and please don't heap guilt on yourself.

mfp always makes me feel so good because my day is visible to me in stages and I can see victory follow defeat in the same day.

good luck to you!!!!!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I don't think I can do this anymore. I eat good for a few days, then I go over by 600 or 700 calories other days. I want to eat healthy, but I still make bad decisions. I know the consequences of choosing bad food, but I do it anyway. If I have a stressful day, like today, I eat tons of sugar. If I am craving a burger and fries, I get a burger and fries because nothing else sounds good but that. I can't seem to control myself, and then I put myself down for days!

I don't know what to do. I have been stuck at the same weight for 6 months. I still have 40 more pounds to lose.

Try to find substitutes for your cravings..if you are still craving that burger and fries when you get home..make yourself a turkey burger on wheat bun with lettuce, tomatoe, low fat cheese what ever you like on your burger. Instead of the fries make some garlic potatoes and bake them (1 cup chopped potatoes tossed in a tbsp of olive oil and minced garlic) or just spray the potatoes with pam and spinkle with garlic POWDER..just an example but you CAN find healthy subs for your cravings...just don't give up and don't beat yourself up!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment. When my friend and I used to work out together and she wanted to skip the gym, I would ask her one question; "Do you want to be fat?"

She always said no and we always went. Ask yourself that. Do you want to be fat or do you want to be healthy and strong?

There are lots of people who are doing this with you and lots of other people who have already done it. If other people can do it, so can you.

Hang on.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from and we have probably all been there. Willpower is essential but sometimes your body is like a freight train demanding food and you can't stop it. I found some things this time that really helped me be less hungry. Maybe they will work for you:

Eat as soon as you wake.
    Eat half your normal breakfast right away and the other half in 2-3 hours.
    Do the same with lunch
    Eat a normal dinner but partition your plate. 1/4 protein, 1/2 veggie, 1/4 starch
    Have an evening snack if you have calories left

Hunger is the enemy. When we're hungry, we make bad decisions. You can beat it! Good luck!
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    Don't give up.I have the same problem. Don't be down on yourself there is always tomorrow this is the first time I have even stuck to a diet for more than a couple days. Just remember we owe it to ourselves to be healthy.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thank you all so much ....

The support here is incredible.

Tomorrow is a new day. Bring it on!

:flowerforyou: for you all
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options

Well you are an adult. As such you know the consequences of your actions, but are you educating yourself on the better choices? You can have a burger and fries, but try a turkey burger Jenni o originals has the least amount of sodium and is more like a regular burger. Try arnold's thin buns, sargento natural cheese and mr. dee's sweet potatoe fries.

as for the sugar, i chose fruit. it is the right kind of sugar and if you want something really nice Del monte has natural juice cups that I have fallen in love with. Or frozen grapes those are sweet and delicious.

there are always choices. But a few pieces of chocolate isn't to bad, but like you are posting now you feel worse then when you were just stressed. That isn't good.

If you are stressed alot working out will help relax you. Might look into meditation or yoga also. But vigorous working out is usually the best for both aggression and getting out stress.

Then probably work on your emotional eating because that is what this is if you are eating because you are stressed. If you have to eat it is your choice to do right by your body. Taking responsibility for that is a big step and something we all have to over come at some point. Stress...being happy, being sad are excuses. We sooth, celebrate and reward with food as a society. It's ingrained in us all and over coming that is hard. You can't beat yourself up, but realize the issue and know that ever good choice you make is winning the battle and everyone falls back a couple steps on this journey. Just can't let it derail the progress you've already made. A hand full of bad days can be over come. by using them as learning tools. Why did you make the choices you did? What was stressing you?

From that you can move forward and work on yourself from the inside out.
    You just gotta be proud of the little goals, the things you do accomplish and know that having a bad day happens, it's how you handle the next day that matters the most.

There is hope and we are here to help and support you. Don't forget that :-)
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Oh heavens! Don't give up on yourself! I think most of us have had those days where we make one bad choice and figure "what the heck, I screwed up earlier, why not make the entire day a bad one?" Don't give in to that! One bad choice doesn't have to lead to more!!! As others have mentioned, don't deny yourself the yummy things you want - just eat half.

Seriously consider changing your weight loss goal to 1 lb a week. I totally missed my first original mini goal so I went back to reassess the rest of my mini goals. I found I had set goals that were too ambitious and now am more comfortable with what I have set up.

Add more exercise (I'm trying hard on that one since I'm weak in that area). It will help boost your mental state as well as get your body building more muscle which will help burn calories faster (if I understand correctly).

Take it slow, take it easy, and just take each drop in weight - no matter how small - as a success that the scale is going in the right direction (and don't weigh yourself daily!!).

You CAN do it!
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I think maybe there's a lot of things that seem to be going on. And I don't know you, but I can share what I learned from my experience, and maybe something about what I learned will resonate with you.

When I started losing weight, I was really gung ho, and went at it with all my energy. Then, I plateau'ed, and just got sick of "dieting." So, I actually found taking a break useful. For a couple of weeks. Or a couple of months. By taking a break, I don't mean going back to old habits, but eating/exercising to maintain whatever weight I was at. I found it really helpful, first, as a psychological break--yes, I could eat a few more cookies and restaurant meals at maintenance than I could when I was trying to lose---but I could also use it as a time to experiment with what maintenance looked like. I mention this as a tactic because sometimes, when we get "tired" of trying to lose weight, or hit a genuine plateau, it sends us into a spiral of overeating, then trying to be "really good" ie--more stringent dieting...which then leads to overeating, and the cycle repeats. Which can be emotionally taxing, as well as counterproductive. This may be where you are now. I found it more emotionally healthy to just acknowledge what I was feeling...which was that I was *tired* of eating at a calorie deficit. (People can talk about how "this isn't a diet, its a lifestyle" all they want...weight loss still requires a calorie deficit which can just get to be...well, tiresome, if you have more than 20 pounds to lose.). And that it was okay to take a break and get my head back in the game.

Its also possible that if you are overeating by 600 or 700 calories (and that on the non-overeating days, you are not overly restricting, which is legitimately making you crave those "extra" calories), that maybe you are struggling less with "cravings" than with emotional eating. A person who craves sweets can substitute lower calorie for higher calories sweets. But a person who has to eat high calorie or high fat food in order to feel emotionally better when under stress...there is no food substitute for that. Grapes aren't going to make you feel better when its really a big mac that your emotions are calling out for. You'll have to figure out non-food coping mechanisms...I know, easier said than done. But possible.

But I think its important to figure out what the problem is that is getting in your way, so that you can figure out the appropriate strategy. Its not simply "lack of motivation" that is getting in your way. Because you've already lost an impressive amount of weight. But you can figure it out. And you can get back on track towards your goals. I know you can do it.
  • zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No don't give up. I was in your same weight loss bad cycle for an entire year. Stagnation and over eating. Until I made lots of friends on MFP!! Everyone has inspired me to be the best me that I can be. You can get back on track too with the right amount of effort, action, and motivation. I know you can do it.