Why Not Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've read a few reports recently in places like MSN Health and Reader's Digest that suggest the artificial sweeteners in diet drinks actually trigger sugar cravings in your brain. The chemicals are not good for you, and though they used to think copious amounts might lead to cancer, it's now being linked to mental health illnesses such as dementia.

As well as increasing your risk for heart disease. Crystal light is ok, although at least some of your water each day should be just "plain" water.
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Let me just put this all in a very easy marketing ploy that is being used here and it will make perfect sense in many perspectives.

If every work out program made everyone skinny and in shape they wouldnt be able to come up with a new one for everyone to try and give up on.

Or sell you a total gym, bow flex etc

If everything that you bought did what it said it did then we wouldnt need them anymore and they would be out of business.

So with Diet stuff food drinks etc if they actually DID make you thin healthy and in shape then they would be of course out of business or not making any money because everyone that needed them wouldnt need them for very long.

Thats all I am saying...

I AGREE with you 100%. and taken this a little bit further this is the same why for the medical industry if the fda produced all perfectly 'good' food then there would be a more healthy people which means healthcare would lose SO.MUCH.MONEY. everything is about $$$$ . .. the truth is they need you sick. they need us overweight.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Right but no one here is calling you a freak or weird for being a vegan or eating organic right?

Your telling people here "You cant diet and keep the weight off if you continue to eat the chemical filled food...also you may be hitting your calories that this website says you should have but if you getting your calories meant by eating that processed you are indeed malnutrished." those are your words, not mine and it is certainly not true. Your saying that vegans and organic eaters are the one's that have it right and anyone else is just basically going through the motions.

You can lose the weight and keep it off even if you drink diet soda's and processed foods, they may not be as healthy as eating grass but it can be done and 1000's on this site prove it day after day. Yes it may be best to go organic, and even arguably vegan but just because someone doesn't eat like you doesn't mean their going to be fat, and get cancer and drop dead and it certainly doesn't mean that they don't care.

Like I said before there are ways to share your knowledge in a way that will be accepted and taken to heart but when you come off like a know it all and preach like your way is the only way you get get shot down. That's all I'm saying!
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ""
    QUOTE: I TOTALLY 100% AGREE WITH YOU!!!! What is wrong with our society to think this way. what is OK about processed GMO food. Why do we have so much more cancer now, why do we have so much more diabetes.. I mean who even seen a commercial for diabetes 20 years ago. It was a random disease that effected some not the entire country. We really need to start thinking more about what we put into our bodies.. People care more about giving their pets the best of the best food to eat and then feed themselves garbage. Makes no sense! """""

not to stir the pot, but i am just wondering.. could more people have cancer and diabites (spelling?) these days because medical technology is better now and doctors can diagnose it, as where years back people were just sick, and that was that.... kind of like dogs, now days i hear more and more about dogs having dogs having cancer and diabites and being blind and whatnot, but is that because they are eating worse, or just because vets can recognize when a dog does have something wrong with it? ...
  • sms9497
    sms9497 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow - you've all given me lots to think about! I will read carefully through the posts and make a good decision. All in good time! For March I am doing the fast food free month!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda early last summer. I am so glad I did!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I'm right with you--I drink diet soda and Crystal Light and I don't feel bad about it, and I don't think you should either if you are only drinking one a day. Sure there are chemicals in it, but there are chemicals in almost every processed thing we eat. Also, in comparison to all of the risks associated with being obese, I'll take the chance.

You want to take the chance of what? We wouldnt get chronic diseases if we had that attitude ill take the chance. Why not buy organic? You cant diet and keep the weight off if you continue to eat the chemical filled food...also you may be hitting your calories that this website says you should have but if you getting your calories meant by eating that processed you are indeed malnutrished. so when you crave salt it does not mean go eat a pringle.

its really sad to me that people just dont care what goes into our bodies. its like we car more about what gasoline we put in our cars but no problem eating a bag of doritos. our bodies can selfheal within the need of medicine. most cases when you pair medicine with the ingredients of processed foods YOU ACTUALLY GET ILL-ER faster.

we truly are what we eat...and one day everyone will see that. its not more expensive to eat healthy.

for instnace , when someone gets cancer..that was not airborne unless it was from cigs. we are what we eat the food we eat well either make us sick or make us fine. this is way the united states is number 38 for our health and longetivity. CUBA is even beating us on this list. Japan is number 1. the united states is doing everything wrong when it comes to our food and we all been brain washed to think that vegans or organic eaters are the weirdos. it should be a fad that is catching on but its not becasuse it requires wisdom.

I drink diet soda ive lost 46 pounds,I eat some proccesed food,And guess what i am perfectly healthy.My great grandma drank diet soda from the day it hit the market to the day she died at 104 she was healthy as horse and clear thinking at a healthy weight.She died in a car accident and not from any health problems.She drank anywhere from 5 to 8 A DAY.Mabey if you want to get your point across more you should step down of the soap box.And stop being so preachy
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Let me just put this all in a very easy marketing ploy that is being used here and it will make perfect sense in many perspectives.

If every work out program made everyone skinny and in shape they wouldnt be able to come up with a new one for everyone to try and give up on.

If everything that you bought did what it said it did then we wouldnt need them anymore and they would be out of business.

So with Diet stuff food drinks etc if they actually DID make you thin healthy and in shape then they would be of course out of business or not making any money because everyone that needed them wouldnt need them for very long.

Thats all I am saying...

I agree with you! Well said!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Saying someone drank diet pop and lived a long healthy life is the same as saying someone smoked and lived a long healthy life.
    Somet things affect people different. I would rather not chance it.

I have a question. My teenage daughter loves those diet yogurts. I don't buy them when I shop by myself, but when she goes with me she throws them in the cart. That is the only time she gets them. How bad it is to have a couple sugar free yogurts a week? We never drink diet pop. I can't stand the after taste of fake sugar. How about chewing gum? I use it to keep me from over eating, and I don't want to get the kind with sugar in it.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Just because the FDA deemed it was safe I would not drink it. First off when pairing carbs with a aspartame (the ingredient in your zero calorie diet drinks) is the worse thing you can do for your body. Off the top of my head aspartame raises your chance of developing ADHD. Also, there is NO NUTRIENTs come pop or diet pop. How can you lose weight if you want to put things like diet pop in your body. You should be fueling your body with fruits and veggies not soda. If you want to lose weight you shouldn't drink pop even diet. Because diet is bad for your health. Just because it makes it 0 calories does not mean you should drink...that is UNNATURAL to make something 0 calories.
    From Skinny ***** about aspartame:::::::::::::::::

When aspartame was put before the FDA for approval, it was denied eight times. g.d. Searle, founder of aspartame, tried to get FDA approval in 1973. clearly, he wasn't bothered by reports from neuroscientist Dr. John Olney and researcher Ann reynolds (hired by Searle himself) that aspartame was dangerous. Dr. Martha Freeman, a scientist from the FDA division of Metabolic and endocrine drug Products, declared, "The information submitted for review is inadequate to permit a scientific evaluation of clinical safety." Freeman recommended that until the safety of aspartame was proven, marketing the product should not be permitted. Alas, her recommendations were ignored. Somehow, in 1974, Searle got approval to use aspartame in dry foods. However, it wasn't smooth sailing from there. In 1975, the FDA put together a task force to review Searle's testing methods. Task force team leader Phillip Brodsky said he "had never seen anything as bas as Searle's testing" and called the tests results "manipulated." Before aspartame actually made it into dry foods, Olney and attorney and consumer advocate Jim Turner filed objections against the approval.

In 1977, the FDA asked the U.S. attorney's office to start grand jury proceedings against Searle for "knowingly misrepresenting findings and concealing material facts and making false statements in aspartame safety tests." shortly after, the U.S. attorney leading the investigation against Searle was offered a job by the law firm that was representing Searle. Later that same year, he resigned as U.S. attorney and withdrew from the case, delaying the grand jury's investigation. This caused the statute of limitations on the charges to run out, and the investigation was dropped. And he accepted the job with Searle's law firm. Stunning.

In 1980, a review by the Public Board of Inquiry set up by the FDA determined that aspartame should not be approved. The board said it had not been presented with proof of reasonable certainty that aspartame is safe for use as a food additive." In 1981, new FDA Commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes was appointed. Despite the fact that three out of six scientists advised against approval, Hayes decided to overrule the scientific review panel and allow aspartame into limited dry goods. In 1983, he got it approved for beverages, even though the National Soft Drink Association urged the FDA to delay approval until further testing could be done. That same year, Hayes left the FDA amid charges of impropriety. The Internal Department of Health and Human services was investigating Hayes for accepting gratuities from FDA-regulated companies. He went to work as a consultant for Searle's public relations firm. Interesting. The FDA finally urged Congress to prosecute Searle for giving the government false or incomplete test results on aspartame. However, the two government attorneys assigned to the case decided not to prosecute. Later, they went to work for the law firm that represented Searle. Fascinating. Despite recognizing ninety-two different symptoms that result from ingesting aspartame, the FDA approved it for use, without restriction in 1996. Brilliant.

So many people have been sickened from this **** that there are aspartame victim support groups. Some of the ninety-two aspartame side effects listed by the FDA include memory loss, nerve cell damage, migraines, reproductive disorders, mental confusion, brain lesions, blindness, joint pain, Alzheimer's, bloating, nervous system disorders, hair loss, food cravings, and weight gain.

Aspartame is a $1 billion industry. The National Justice League has filed a series of lawsuits against food companies using aspartame, claiming they are poisoning the public. In September 2004, a class action lawsuit was filed for $350 million against NutraSweet and the American Diabetics Association. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is named in the suit for using political muscle to get aspartame approved by the FDA.

Nutrasweet and Equil contain aspartame. When ingested, one of aspartames ingredients, methyl alcohol, converts into formaldehyde, a deadly neurotoxin. In addition to aspartame, Equal contains the amino acid phenylalanine. Phenylalanine occurs naturally in the brain. But high levels can increase the chance of seizures and lead to depression and schizophrenia. There is no lesser of the two evils. NutraSweet and Equal are both evil. Sweet and Low is no saint, either. It is an artificial sweetener that contains saccharin, a coal-tar compound. Stay away.

Because we're having so much fun, lets bash the **** out of Splenda, one of the newer sweeteners. Splenda is made by chlorinated sugar, changing its molecular structure. The finished product is called sucralose. The makers of this poison tout its lack of calories and claim it's safe for diabetics. The FDA calls sucralose 98 percent pure. The other 2 percent contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol, and arsenic. Well gee, at least it doesn't have any calories. So what if it has a little arsenic? Sucralose has been found to cause diarrhea; organ, genetic, immune system, and reproductive damage; swelling of the liver and kidneys: and a decrease in fetal body weight. What a splendid product!
    Thank you for clearing some of the muck. I really wish more people would educate themselves to protect their bodies and mainly the bodies of their children.
  • Tammysueless
    Options

Thats all I am saying...
    I have always thought that. If that diet 'pill' etc.. really worked then we would all be thin!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Can anyone show me where it was without a doubt proved that it causes cancer in humans,like cigarretes?
    Or that it causes adhd
    Not just studies that say it MIGHT cause all these things?
    Also you better stop using deoderant,pain relievers, drinking water out of a plastic bottle,makeup,breathing the air outside,living in a mobil home or trailer home.Because all of these have been linked to cancers and illness
    Ever seen a brand new tailer home with the warnings posted in it about the dangers of the formaldehyde used in the building materials?
    Also if you live near any high tension power lines you might want to worry
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Saying someone drank diet pop and lived a long healthy life is the same as saying someone smoked and lived a long healthy life.
    Somet things affect people different. I would rather not chance it.

I have a question. My teenage daughter loves those diet yogurts. I don't buy them when I shop by myself, but when she goes with me she throws them in the cart. That is the only time she gets them. How bad it is to have a couple sugar free yogurts a week? We never drink diet pop. I can't stand the after taste of fake sugar. How about chewing gum? I use it to keep me from over eating, and I don't want to get the kind with sugar in it.

I used to get those yogurts too, but stopped after reading up on the effects of the artificial sweeteners. Plus I didn't like the after taste. Why don't you tell her to put them back and get regular yogurt? You're buying them, you get the final say, right?

I'm with you on the question about gum. I chew a piece every afternoon - oh, I just checked the ingredients - sugar AND aspartame! What's a girl to do?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I've heard diet sodas are bad too, but I am hooked on them. I am giving up so much else right now that I'm not going to sweat the diet coke. :drinker:

Agreed. It's Diet Mountain Dew for me. :drinker:
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet, kids.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Sheesh..... :noway:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    they are usually very high in soduim which is not good

I see people say this all the time, but what's funny is that a bottle of Propel Fitness Water is labeled as "low sodium" and contains MUCH more per serving (140 or under per 8oz) than a Diet Pepsi (25 per 8oz).
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Can anyone show me where it was without a doubt proved that it causes cancer in humans,like cigarretes?
    Or that it causes adhd
    Not just studies that say it MIGHT cause all these things?
    Also you better stop using deoderant,pain relievers, drinking water out of a plastic bottle,makeup,breathing the air outside,living in a mobil home or trailer home.Because all of these have been linked to cancers and illness
    Ever seen a brand new tailer home with the warnings posted in it about the dangers of the formaldehyde used in the building materials?
    Also if you live near any high tension power lines you might want to worry

AMEN sister!!!
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is one slice of cake per day considered moderation? No, neither is one can of diet pop per day. If you want to drink aspartame, it should really be moderated because it is terrible for you and it doesn't belong in food.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside the medical aspects of artificial sweeteners (since I'm neither a doctor nor scientist), I can only speak to personal experience. I've found that when I'm cutting out nearly everything I see on TV (aka the "good stuff") my brain feels very betrayed, and I crave candy, cookies, potato chips much more than I do when they're part of my diet occasionally (gee, I wonder why). I use Diet Coke (my weapon of choice) as a way to trick my brain into thinking it's having something naughty -- which it is, but you take my point. I only have it when my cravings for junk get too tempting, and I try to drink it slowly enough that I don't even want to finish it.

I don't think that it can be said enough (because fundamentally it's the only thing everyone can agree is true): EVERYTHING IN MODERATION.

If you can give it up, why not. If you can't, drink responsibly. :)

Good luck!