I just don't believe this!

Options
After all the trouble I have had with my neighbour since my hubby & I bought our home, the council have had the cheek to suggest that I appologise to my neighbour!
Where is the sense in that?
This woman has hounded my family since we bought our home, telling us to move out we don't belong here, yet, she gets away with it - despite the council threatening her tenancy for harassing us.

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    After all the trouble I have had with my neighbour since my hubby & I bought our home, the council have had the cheek to suggest that I appologise to my neighbour!
    Where is the sense in that?
    This woman has hounded my family since we bought our home, telling us to move out we don't belong here, yet, she gets away with it - despite the council threatening her tenancy for harassing us.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What do they want you to apologize for? And, is she the kind of person that an apolgize would ease the situation?

Sometimes, regardless of whose at fault, an apology can help heal the rift. But, it depends on the person. Would it make her feel better and get her off your back? If so, it might be worth it.

If it will do no good in fixing the situation, then the council can suggest but they can't force complaince....
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What did I miss?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to use the words "harrassment", "terroristic threats" , "strong arming", "restraining order", "freedom", "Legal counsel", and especially "LAWYER" in a case like this.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, has a right to tell you you don't belong somewhere and to move. When you start using those words, people have a tendency to back off. But be sure to follow through by actually using these words.

Me, I wouldn't be so nice. I'm chuck full of ideas on how to stop this kind of terror.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Sounds like you need to use the words "harrassment", "terroristic threats" , "strong arming", "restraining order", "freedom", "Legal counsel", and especially "LAWYER" in a case like this.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, has a right to tell you you don't belong somewhere and to move. When you start using those words, people have a tendency to back off. But be sure to follow through by actually using these words.

Me, I wouldn't be so nice. I'm chuck full of ideas on how to stop this kind of terror.

I have tried to calmy talk to my neighbour on several occassions, but it falls on deaf ears, I've threatened to take her to court, told her I will contact my lawyer, todl the council of their tenants harassment and discrimination - yet she still gets away with it
  • Poison5119
    Options

I have tried to calmy talk to my neighbour on several occassions, but it falls on deaf ears, I've threatened to take her to court, told her I will contact my lawyer, todl the council of their tenants harassment and discrimination - yet she still gets away with it

Then follow up on your efforts. Don't issue an ultimatum and then not follow up. That only feeds the fire and makes her feel invincible. Nothing speaks volumes like a judge demanding cessation of such treatment.

Do you have a restraining order against her? I don't know if they have those in GB. If they do, you should avail yourself of one. They're very handy.

If a judge tells her to stop and she doesn't, she'll wind up behind bars. The judge can also demand that your home owners council remove her, and they have to comply or they could face civil charges.

If you can't or won't do these things, there are myriad nasty ways of harrassing her back, but I'm sure you don't want to play that game with her.
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    Sometimes it's just better to be the bigger person. Dont' feed into her. In fact, why have any contact with her whatsoever? She's obviously not someone you want to be friendly with. If the council has decided they want you to apologize, do it. And then never speak a word to her again. IF she continues to bother you after that, file a harrassment complaint against her in the courts. The council has done what they think is right, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, then it's time to take it to the next level.

Good luck!
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Sometimes it's just better to be the bigger person. Dont' feed into her. In fact, why have any contact with her whatsoever? She's obviously not someone you want to be friendly with. If the council has decided they want you to apologize, do it. And then never speak a word to her again. IF she continues to bother you after that, file a harrassment complaint against her in the courts. The council has done what they think is right, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, then it's time to take it to the next level.

Good luck!

As I stated earlier, I have tried this route, and she gets worse.
    I have now put in a complaint against her housing officer for their behaviour.
    I will now be seeking legal advise and will indeed be seeking a restraining order.
    A bit hard to ignore her when she come onto my private property banging on my door shouting the odds.
    I just close the door on her after tellnig her I cannot and will not listen to her constant bararge of abuse.
  • Poison5119
    Options

Good luck!

I will now be seeking legal advise and will indeed be seeking a restraining order.
    A bit hard to ignore her when she come onto my private property banging on my door shouting the odds.
    I just close the door on her after tellnig her I cannot and will not listen to her constant bararge of abuse.

Someone banging on my door spewing verbal abuse gets the police called on them. You needn't even open the door.

AND WHAT, EXACTLY, ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE APOLOGIZING FOR???? THAT'S WHAT i WOULD DEMAND TO KNOW.
  • Jackie_W
    Options

Good luck!

Someone banging on my door spewing verbal abuse gets the police called on them. You needn't even open the door.

AND WHAT, EXACTLY, ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE APOLOGIZING FOR???? THAT'S WHAT i WOULD DEMAND TO KNOW.

that's exactly what I've asked, but got no reply.
    So I gues this council officer is just losing it!
    I've put in a strong complaint about the whole situation.
    Unfortunately, due to the way my house was built, it is not easy to see who is at the door until I open it, but I'm having new UPVC doors installed next month so I'll be able to see.
    In the meantime, my hubby has set up CCTV on my front garden so I can turn TV on to see who's outside in future, and I've already told this housing officer that if this neighbour ever comes to my property again, I will be on the phone to the police straight away.
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    good for you. That kind of treatment is unnecessary and should not be tolerated. Unfortunately, you have to stick it out until the legal channels have been completed. Just try to keep your head up and not take anything she says to heart.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    good for you. That kind of treatment is unnecessary and should not be tolerated. Unfortunately, you have to stick it out until the legal channels have been completed. Just try to keep your head up and not take anything she says to heart.

Nah she aint worth it, I know she's off her trolley, just gotta remember, she cannot touch my family or I as we have not done anything wrong :bigsmile:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What happened? I'm confused.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    What happened? I'm confused.

My neighbour happened - she's been jealous since my hubby and I bought our home, she has accused us of all kinds of things, all of which are untrue. She has banged on my door, despite my telling her she is not welcome on my property.

There have bee na lot of incidents in the past 19 months, I asked her housing officer for help with their tenant, which I was getting, then, yesterday they had the cheek to suggest that I go round and appologise to this woman - despite my doing nothing wrong.

I won't go into any further detail, as the stress it causes plays havock on my diabetes, needless to say, I will not let this woman force me to sell my home and move away just because she is jealous that she cannot afford her own home.

i've since had another email from the council today, but I have had a great day, and therefore decided to let my husband open and read it when he gets home instead. I'm going to do something nice and relaxing instead :bigsmile:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hope you can relax and not have to deal with her
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    That stinks!
    I would be upset too...=o(
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya Cyber, on this end of the pond we have an expression, "Walk softly... and carry a big stick" {Theodore Roosevelt). Methinks it's time to use that stick! Each and every time she is on your property, tell her to leave, and call the police AT ONCE! Sure she'll be gone by the time they get to your house, but you are establishing a pattern with the cops. DO seek a lawyer (barrister) and immediately go after her, in a legal sense! I agree about being the bigger person, and turening the other cheek, and traking the high road, in general. But there comes a time when you NEED to be aggressive, and show you have some claws. Again all done legally!
    Good luck, and let us know how you do.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Heya Cyber, on this end of the pond we have an expression, "Walk softly... and carry a big stick" {Theodore Roosevelt). Methinks it's time to use that stick! Each and every time she is on your property, tell her to leave, and call the police AT ONCE! Sure she'll be gone by the time they get to your house, but you are establishing a pattern with the cops. DO seek a lawyer (barrister) and immediately go after her, in a legal sense! I agree about being the bigger person, and turening the other cheek, and traking the high road, in general. But there comes a time when you NEED to be aggressive, and show you have some claws. Again all done legally!
    Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Oh believe me, she won't get the last word with me, I'm just taking it calmly, and looking at all my options.
    I am going to get a solicitor (lawyer) but have been told I'll have to pay £250 per hour! (sorry not sure about the Us Dollars - possibly $400 ? I only want a letter warning her to back off !!! Been told it could run into thousands to deal with this tenant, makes me laugh, she's a tenant of the council, yet they seem to be dragging their heals in dealing with her. If I were her landlord, I'd have had her evicted months ago!