So so worried...

Options
I'm so worried about loose skin. I've lost 30 pounds and can't tell if my arms still have a lot of fat or if it's skin. I'm praying it's just fat, haha. I never thought I'd be praying for fat? :laugh:

Any preventive measures I can take? I'm drinking a lot of water, losing weight healthy and at a good pace, but I'm wondering if a firming lotion would help?

Replies

• DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm so worried about loose skin. I've lost 30 pounds and can't tell if my arms still have a lot of fat or if it's skin. I'm praying it's just fat, haha. I never thought I'd be praying for fat? :laugh:

Any preventive measures I can take? I'm drinking a lot of water, losing weight healthy and at a good pace, but I'm wondering if a firming lotion would help?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste your money on lotions, etc. I believe they are, for the most part, just gimicks.

I know I lost fat quicker than my skin bounced back. I've had three babies - three BIG babies :laugh: - and my stomach was unbelievable. So, now after getting from a size 16-18 down to a size 4 (this took me about 2-3 years) - my stomach is looking better. The stretch marks will never go away (I don't know if you have them - if not, great!) but they have shrunk, and my "apron" is gone. I do have some teeny bit of flab left - but hey - I'm not after perfection and maybe it will go away, maybe it won't.

Point is - be patient with your body, and it will end up where ever it is supposed to be. Unless you are losing 80-100+ pounds, I don't think excess skin will pose too much of a problem.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    At your age and with the relatively small amount you want to lose, I doubt it will be an issue. Now us "old folks" with a lot to lose, well, let me just say I'm already saving up for either a Tummy Tuck or plastic surgery once I hit goal because I can tell my stomach skin is going to be a BIG issue (pun intended!)
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    contrary to MollyK, (sorry) but I have had some good luck with vitamin creams.
    I use it once in a while, started when I started seeing some stretch marks on my biceps after weightlifting for a couple years.
    I dont think creams are necessary though, it will however take time to go away, if you do get marks. Maybe start focusing on toning those areas so you still have something in there to keep your body in shape, just a firmer shape.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I can't believe from your pics you are trying to lose 50 pounds?
    how tall are you?
    I think you shouldnt worry about stretch marks once you get in shape, we are young,
    and it seems like there is very little loose skin.
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would say..... you should see my loose skin... but you probably wouldn't want to. 135 pounds in 7 months. As far as I am concerned its a good problem.

Don't let it slow you down.
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    Options
    I can't believe from your pics you are trying to lose 50 pounds?
    how tall are you?
    I think you shouldnt worry about stretch marks once you get in shape, we are young,
    and it seems like there is very little loose skin.

Haha, yes. I want to lose 50 pounds. I'm 5 9. I started out weighing 187... I'm now down to 158. But I'd like to be around 135-140 which is where I was in high school. I have a lot of muscle... so it never looks like I weigh a lot.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm not as worried about lose skin as I am stretch marks. They are already showing up on my "love handles" ... what's the best advice to help prevent/minimize the stretch marks?????? HELP!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm not as worried about lose skin as I am stretch marks. They are already showing up on my "love handles" ... what's the best advice to help prevent/minimize the stretch marks?????? HELP!

Some people say putting vitamin E oil on your skin help prevent stretch marks - I don't know - I tried that when I was pregnant, but I have them anyways. All over my lower stomach, inner thighs, one on my belly button, on my boobs - everything just blew up when I was preggers, sigh.

My husband used to play college football, and was a heavy lifter - he also has stretch marks on his biceps. I'm not sure how much you can do to prevent them, other than avoiding drastic weight gains.

Now my stretch marks have faded to a silver color - looks better when I'm tan (can't see them as much), but short of surgery (which I'm not inclined toward) - gonna be there for life for me. Badge of motherhood, I guess, lol. :laugh:
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    Options
    Stretch marks... I use Palmer's Body Butter, anything of that brand is amazing and can and will prevent them if you use it religiously. :happy:
  • young1726
    Options
    Thanks, maybe I'll try that Palmers... I always am skeptical of that kind of stuff being a gimick... Don't like to waste my money, I'M CHEAP! But if it works, I'm all for it.
  • young1726
    Options

Some people say putting vitamin E oil on your skin help prevent stretch marks - I don't know - I tried that when I was pregnant, but I have them anyways. All over my lower stomach, inner thighs, one on my belly button, on my boobs - everything just blew up when I was preggers, sigh.

My husband used to play college football, and was a heavy lifter - he also has stretch marks on his biceps. I'm not sure how much you can do to prevent them, other than avoiding drastic weight gains.

Now my stretch marks have faded to a silver color - looks better when I'm tan (can't see them as much), but short of surgery (which I'm not inclined toward) - gonna be there for life for me. Badge of motherhood, I guess, lol. :laugh:

sigh... Thanks... I figured I'd have to live with them after babies, but I don't even have any yet. My husband has them on his biceps as well. I'd rather have them from muscle gain than fat gain... Sadness...

Dani :happy: