need help with food ideas

Options
k so, my daily calorie intake is supposed to be 2200. I can reach it, if i try hard enough but my problem is I can't seem to reach it without going overboard on fat, sugar, or sodium. :'( can any one give me some suggestions for this cuz I'm lost, dazed and confused.

Replies

• zerafa
    zerafa Posts: 12
    Options
    Try having more protein, lean meat, fish, low fat cheese etc This will also give you more energy.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    peanut butter , olive oil , avocados & almonds
  • sykoxhadow
    Options
    ok i get the lean meat and fish, but peanut butter? i thought peanut butter is bad for you?
  • Britt22706
    Options
    Peanut butter is NOT bad for your. Peanut butter like Jiffy or Peter Pan or whatever it's called is bad. These kinds have Hydrogenated oils in them to keep the peanut butter from separating with the natural oils, and these kinds are also high in sugar and sodium. However, you can buy what's called "Natural Peanut Butter", which doesn't have the added oils, which means that it may separate, but all you do is mix it up. It has healthy fats and is very good for you!

-Brittany
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My goal is about the same...
    I honestly don't worry about the sugar part. I do not add sugar to anything and I don't eat a lot of processed foods - so almost all my sugars are natural sugars from fruits and vegetables.

I have a hard time hitting my 2200 calories a lot of days - but if I'm desperate need of some quick calories - a handful of nuts or trail mix helps out.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    More clean foods that are unprocessed will have less sodium. I love sweet potatoes, second avacado, nuts and eggs. I have read many times that the daily rec. amount if sugar refers to added sugars not natural sugars. I simply subtract the fruit and natural sugars. Being that I rarely have added sugars in the foods I eat I stopped really caring what that number on the chart was. I also wouldn't worry too much about meeting your calorie goal exactly. Tthe science behind weight-loss is about averages, you may need more or less than what the calculation estimates anyways so just aim for it and if you miss no worries :) Gotta remember that your body can't tell time so if you are over on something one day and three days later you are under- it all works out.
  • sykoxhadow
    Options
    thank you to everyone for your help, its very informative and i will take it to heart, i will try all the methods in one way or another. I will also check out healthy peanut butter, cuz i love me some peanut butter lol. that processed foods hard to work with though with not too much money to put towards food, but ill see what i can do ;)
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    peanut butter , olive oil , avocados & almonds

That was going to be my suggestion! Go with natural peanut butter to avoid a lot of sugar.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone for your help, its very informative and i will take it to heart, i will try all the methods in one way or another. I will also check out healthy peanut butter, cuz i love me some peanut butter lol. that processed foods hard to work with though with not too much money to put towards food, but ill see what i can do ;)

Honestly - buying less processed stuff can save you money. I can make my own sweet potato fries much cheaper than I can buy them in a bag - and they have less calories as well. Eating more salads, more raw/frozen veggies over canned veggies is definitely cheaper! What kind of things do you enjoy eating that are processed? I'll bet we can help you find healthy cleaner alternatives!!!
  • tina122372
    Options
    Buy larger qtys of healthier foods in bulk to save $$$.
  • zerafa
    zerafa Posts: 12
    Options
    Since joining a weekly nutrician class I've become a supermarket trolley snooper! You can tell a great deal about a person by the contents of their shopping trolley and it makes the time in the queue pass faster.
    Recent observations have shown a porky family whose trolley was overflowing with white bread, sweets, cakes, cookies. fizzy drinks and ready made meals.There was nothing fresh in the trolley at all, no fruit or veg just a trolley loaded with additives. Are they trying to commit suicide or what?
    One young guy's trolley was full of alcohol and ready meals full of additives A batchelor obviously wanting to poison himself to death.
    Ah, at last, another smart young man who looks brimming with health. In his trolley nothing but fresh fruit and veg, chicken, nuts, skimmed milk, eggs, low fat cheese and fish.