UP and Down Roller coster my Diet

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for my whole life I am a 38 year old (F) For the last 6 I have done my best no fad diets just wating what I eat and excersie. I lost 60 pounds and was feeling great. Then I lost my job and in 3 months gained 30 pounds back. I have back problems so it makes some exersing painfull. I am back on the strick weight loss kick again as my back hurts and always in pain from the weight. so only thing I can do is try and lose weght. I am looking to lose 70 pounds

Replies

• scottlaurie
    Options
    Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle diet and exercise program by Tom Venuto, look it up on line and change your life.
  • Anniepoo04
    Anniepoo04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How is his book different from other diet books? I am kinda of a diet book junkie and was wondering is the excercise real intense?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've struggle my whole life too, on top of that I had 3 stick thin sisters. (But was blessed with a understanding chubby Mom, who did a great job of educating me about nutrition vs empty calories. Even when you know what to do it's still a struggle)

From my experience a STRICK WEIGHT LOSS plan it's unmaintainable. I witnessed too many people ratchet themselves up. (lose 20 to gain 30, then lose 30 to gain 40, lose 40 to gain 50, and so on...).

When I was stressing about my goals, this was helpful for me. It helped keep me on track to know I had a little wiggle room.

It dawned on me that it's not hitting a number exactly, but falling within a range consistently...
    So, I went to the goals section and kept playing with the data I input. to get the following info
    You can figure out yours, but here's the idea...

To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal (target)

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal

To maintain my GOAL weight I get 1670 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my CURRENT weight I get 1720 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target goal 500 cal
    I should not gain. So I'm not losing any ground. (I can take a break and then pick-up where I left off)

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.

I'm on maintenance for a while right now until dr. gives me an all clear on a potential problem, but when I was losing my range 1240-1670 as long as I fell in there I was making progress without being in a severe deprivation mode. Not being able to maintain is my biggest fear, okay that and yo-yoing. I need to make a plan that I can live hopefully for a long time to come.

Remember, it's not about being perfect it's about doing better.
    No matter where you start from it's all about taking baby steps.
    Later you look back and realize that all those baby steps add up to something substantial.

Also recently read an article, that said one factor in successful weight loss is having measurable goals.
    I think this site is great for that.