HELP! Will this HRM work?

Options
OBXGal
OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
My eyes are crossing looking at all of the HRM's out there!

I can't spend $100+ on a HRM right now but I REALLY want to get one. Can you take a look at this one and let me know if it will give me the info to input on MFP to track my workouts? I'm hoping the "Measures and Displays Burned Calories and Fat" will provide the info that I need to log on this site.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y7WWD4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AS9UUXZ8KC49B

Thank you so much!!! :smile:

Replies

• MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex with a chest strap. It was $140 but I luckily got it clearanced for $40 at Big 5. I fully recommend one with a chest strap. I haven't heard much on this model, not enough to recommend it. I've run into a few exercises that cause the chest strap to lose contact with my chest & lose the heart rate momentarily. Other than that, I've found I burn way more calories than I thought, was undereating, rectified the situation with extra food, & am finally losing weight again. :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going into a store like ****'s sporting goods or Academy. They'll have a large selection and be helpful as to which types have what functions. You can also bring it right back if it doesn't work.
  • OBXGal
    Options
    This one has a chest strap, I just want to make sure that it captures the right info to input into MFP. I would love to go to a sports store to get one, but I would have to drive about 2 hours - one of the disadvantages to living on a beach island!
  • kmalex
    kmalex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well... I don't know a lot about HRM's but this product only got 2.5 stars and the one review says it wasn't accurate. Although it only has a few reviews so it's hard to tell.

I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying that you should be careful and be sure to check your pulse against it's HR measurement when you get it.

Good Luck!
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    I have a Polar FT. Yes, it was over $100 but well worth it for me.

Here is a review I found about the HRM you want to buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Complicated, Difficult To See Display, December 2, 2010
    By
    Vince F - See all my reviews
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: GSI Super-Quality All-In-One Waterproof Exercise Monitoring System With Built-In USB Interface - Heart Rate Monitor Watch, 3D Sensor - Transmitter Chest Belt - Measures Distance, Speed, Steps, Calories and Fat - For Running, Jogging and Walking - Upload Data to Computer - Alarm and Stopwatch Functions
    Let me say right off that this device may or may not be worth purchasing for your situation. For me, it was just too much effort to try and get it to work right. My main reason for even considering this was that it has a pedometer AND heart rate function.

As much as I tried to get the heart rate monitor to work, or the pedometer to work, it became just too much effort and this thing now sits in that box of things we buy with good intentions, but just dont want to deal with anymore.

The other problem I had with this is trying to even see the display when I am out jogging. My eyesight isn't the best, and I should have thought about this beforehand. Even though, the display is not very strong despite my eyesight.

In the future, I will only be looking for a pedometer-only with a very easy-to-read display instead of a multi-function device. Simplicity has its advantages.

Like I said at the start, this product may be right for you, but it was not right for me given my eyesight, 51 yr age and willingness to try and figure out these complex instructions which I understand may be required for a multi-function device like this.
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It seems to have the functions you would need, and its priced right. Read a few reviews, most were positive, with one concern with respect to its accuracy. I would test the heart rate measure while at rest once you get it, and if its really off, send it back. ssg.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4... look on ebay i got mine for $85 with free shipping. trust me it is SO worth it.
  • OBXGal
    Options
    I would love to get a Polar, but just can't afford that right now. So, I gotta go with a cheapie for now for the next few months.
  • cmsdives
    cmsdives Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree that the chest strap is a must. I have both types, with and without a chest strap, and the one with the chest strap is more accurate. Take a look at this one. It has a better rating than the one you're looking at (based on over 700 reviews) and is only about $5 more. You're always going to get a mixture of reviews, I've found it helpful to look at items that have a larger number of reviews/ratings because they (in my opinion) tend to be more accurate.

Good luck!! :happy:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300195175&sr=8-2