Sagging skin

Options
Hi all!
I was just wondering, is there a way to prevent (excessive) sagging skin as you lose weight? I still have about 90 pounds to go and I'm wondering toning is going to be enough...stretch marks I can live with.

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't lose too quickly. I'm down 74 and it's not too bad, but I need to tone too.
  • SmellyMelly13
    Options
    I think it's basically inevitable, I've lost 125lbs so far, and like you, the stretch marks I've decided I can live with (Although you wouldn't catch me dead in a bikini) but the tummy area is just the pits for extra skin.

I've worked out hard the whole time, toning everywhere, doing 100 sit-ups a day and other core exercises in efforts to avoid it, but I can tell already that as soon as this final little pooch is gone, that skin isn't going to go anywhere, I can see it already, kind of wrinkly and just nasty.

Sucks because when you start you're always telling yourself "I'm going to wear a bikini" Haha, well no I'm not, but I still get to look good in everything else haha!
  • chloecat80
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs, and the only place I have any issues with sagging skin in a little but above my navel, it has been just about 3 years and it hasn't improved much. But you know what? I really don't care anymore, I used to worry about it so much, but in the end, who really cares? No body is perfect! I rock a bikini anyway!
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    I think it's basically inevitable, I've lost 125lbs so far, and like you, the stretch marks I've decided I can live with (Although you wouldn't catch me dead in a bikini) but the tummy area is just the pits for extra skin.

I've worked out hard the whole time, toning everywhere, doing 100 sit-ups a day and other core exercises in efforts to avoid it, but I can tell already that as soon as this final little pooch is gone, that skin isn't going to go anywhere, I can see it already, kind of wrinkly and just nasty.

Sucks because when you start you're always telling yourself "I'm going to wear a bikini" Haha, well no I'm not, but I still get to look good in everything else haha!

hahaha! As long as we look good in everything else! I just feel like the extra skin won't complete the "toned" look I'm going for in the end.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I think the ladies here nailed it. Don't rush it but even if you do it just right, if you're losing a significant amount of weight, you may have a little looser skin that you'd love. The only way I've had success (me and clients) is on the legs. I've had ladies with skin that's a bit loose on the thighs or at/above the knees, and with significant leg work (heavy weights, lower repetitions, we've successfully expanded the circumference on the leg and thereby taken up much of the skin by occupying it with muscle mass. But I'll add the little caveat that when these gals lay off and start losing some of the hard-earned muscles in their legs, the skin starts to sag a bit again. It's a lot of work and men have a much easier time of this (bulking to take up loose skin), but it can be done to some degree.

Good luck. Congrats on your progress. Keep it up .. you'll be so much healthier and happier nonetheless.
    You go girl!! :):drinker:
  • Go_Lise
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs, and the only place I have any issues with sagging skin in a little but above my navel, it has been just about 3 years and it hasn't improved much. But you know what? I really don't care anymore, I used to worry about it so much, but in the end, who really cares? No body is perfect! I rock a bikini anyway!

Yay for self-esteem!
  • Go_Lise
    Options
    I think the ladies here nailed it. Don't rush it but even if you do it just right, if you're losing a significant amount of weight, you may have a little looser skin that you'd love. The only way I've had success (me and clients) is on the legs. I've had ladies with skin that's a bit loose on the thighs or at/above the knees, and with significant leg work (heavy weights, lower repetitions, we've successfully expanded the circumference on the leg and thereby taken up much of the skin by occupying it with muscle mass. But I'll add the little caveat that when these gals lay off and start losing some of the hard-earned muscles in their legs, the skin starts to sag a bit again. It's a lot of work and men have a much easier time of this (bulking to take up loose skin), but it can be done to some degree.

Good luck. Congrats on your progress. Keep it up .. you'll be so much healthier and happier nonetheless.
    You go girl!! :):drinker:

Thank you!